You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

Your the veggie thats for you to answer

I'm not a veggie you silly sausage. I'm just somepony who enjoys food and your ignorance is astounding. The thought of you serving food to anyone terrifies me. You have no idea about the culinary cultures within your market and you do not seem to care either. I have never eaten any of your 'creations' but I imagine you to be an awful chef and you can consider me out of any investment into your mental 'I just created this menu, feedback?' threads.

Good day to you sir.

twilight_sparkle_angry_by_twilightsparklesuper-d5qk8xs.png

Im simply saying the same amount of animal and more are getting Slaughtered for Super Markets Butchers etc sadly that wont Change and more of the Animal goes to waste as a result of people not buying it. I believe far too much is put on shelves. And goes to waste i believe dates need changing and the way Meat is displayed does aswell. I believe meat should be soley Displayed in the Frozen Section. And there displayed Sell by Date should be lengthened. But what i believe wont make a Difference. Why cant Quorn advertise as something else? why do they have to join the meat world in the Name of there products?

You make some reasonable points Si, and yes too much food is wasted but its not the fault of vegetarians or of Quorn. You seem to be blaming people for not buying meat as the reason for the amount that goes to waste which is a crazy way to look at the problem. I agree with you that too much goes on the shelves with too short sell by dates, but I also think people should be able to buy fresh meat if they want it, not frozen.

I really don't get what Quorn call their products has to do with any of this though. If they changed the name of their veggie burgers to veggie fritters what would be the difference?

You make some reasonable points Si, and yes too much food is wasted but its not the fault of vegetarians or of Quorn. You seem to be blaming people for not buying meat as the reason for the amount that goes to waste which is a crazy way to look at the problem. I agree with you that too much goes on the shelves with too short sell by dates, but I also think people should be able to buy fresh meat if they want it, not frozen.

I really don't get what Quorn call their products has to do with any of this though. If they changed the name of their veggie burgers to veggie fritters what would be the difference?

Not at all mate im not blaming anyone but the people that slaughter, I seem to have worded what i wanted wrong. And in terms of Name Changing i mean the Burger, Sausage, Mince bit to me Quorn eaters who are vegetarian still want to eat meat without eating a animal that to me is hypocritical don't you think?

I've had the quorn debate with people before.

I just don't get it. It doesn't taste like meat, in fact it tastes shite and there are thousands of amazing meat free recipes out there. There is no need for it. (For a person who also enjoys eating meat). A veggie can eat whatever the fuck they want as far as I'm concerned and there are genuine reasons why they'd want to eat quorn, good luck to them. It aint for me though.

One thing it has never done and never will do is encourage meat sales FFS.

I know I am coming to this late, should wonder if I should even respond to your posts, Si, because I can see others have tried but dont seem to have made much headway.

My tuppenceworth....Last summer missy announced that she didnt want to eat meat any more (she's 13, she cant help it). None of the rest of us are and actually as I've got older I enjoy eating meat more and more (shut it!) but rather than cause an unnecessary argument I thought I'd indulge her thinking she'd give up in a week or two. She went back to eating fish quite quickly (its quite tricky being a veggie if you dont really like vegetables) but fair play to her she hasnt but catering for a veggie in the house has been a bit of a challenge.

I said that I wasnt going to change the way the rest of us ate but it has, but not necessarily for the worse. I really didnt want to go back to the nonsense of making 2 separate meals so we've ended up with a compromise. We have many more meat-free 'evening meals' and sometimes when I'm doing a meat with vegetables type meal I do use Quorn...some of it isnt great but some of it is actually quite nice, eg Cauldron sausages. Liking the taste of meat but not wanting to eat something that has been killed for your pleasure are not mutually exclusive in my book

I've had the quorn debate with people before.

I just don't get it. It doesn't taste like meat, in fact it tastes shite and there are thousands of amazing meat free recipes out there. There is no need for it.

One thing it has never done and never will do is encourage meat sales FFS.

But most that eat it think it does. I like Quorn im not against Quorn just the people that buy it as vegetarians.

But most that eat it think it does. I like Quorn im not against Quorn just the people that buy it as vegetarians.

Now I know that I said some of the Quorn stuff has turned out to be ok (I wasnt going to ask Missy to eat the stuff if I wasnt prepared to eat it myself) but surely no-one that likes meat and has no objection to eating it would ever choose to eat Quorn instead of meat?

Not at all mate im not blaming anyone but the people that slaughter, I seem to have worded what i wanted wrong. And in terms of Name Changing i mean the Burger, Sausage, Mince bit to me Quorn eaters who are vegetarian still want to eat meat without eating a animal that to me is hypocritical don't you think?

Not at all. They don't want to eat meat, hence they're buying Quorn. If they wanted to eat meat they'd just buy meat.

As for the name thing, I think it's just descriptive of the shape more than anything. Burger = round, flat. Sausage = well, sausage shape. Mince = bits.

I know I am coming to this late, should wonder if I should even respond to your posts, Si, because I can see others have tried but dont seem to have made much headway.

My tuppenceworth....Last summer missy announced that she didnt want to eat meat any more (she's 13, she cant help it). None of the rest of us are and actually as I've got older I enjoy eating meat more and more (shut it!) but rather than cause an unnecessary argument I thought I'd indulge her thinking she'd give up in a week or two. She went back to eating fish quite quickly (its quite tricky being a veggie if you dont really like vegetables) but fair play to her she hasnt but catering for a veggie in the house has been a bit of a challenge.

I said that I wasnt going to change the way the rest of us ate but it has, but not necessarily for the worse. I really didnt want to go back to the nonsense of making 2 separate meals so we've ended up with a compromise. We have many more meat-free 'evening meals' and sometimes when I'm doing a meat with vegetables type meal I do use Quorn...some of it isnt great but some of it is actually quite nice, eg Cauldron sausages. Liking the taste of meat but not wanting to eat something that has been killed for your pleasure are not mutually exclusive in my book

Cauldron foods are the best of the meat free range.

There are alot of simple dishes than you can do in seconds that will go great with the normal roast,meat+veg dinner in veggie cooking.

Stuffed mushrooms,figgy apples(not just for xmas),stuffed peppers,Sheperds pie with soya,lentil rissoles,kidney bean kievs etc.

Most are much healthier than the meat alternative.

You end up having to learn when your mum and sister are veggie

Obviously the meat-slaughterers can't put up with this "vegetarian" bullshit, otherwise it might catch on and hurt their bottom line. So they monitor the meat consumption per capita, and whenever a downward fluctuation in sales of bacon and sausages are detected that might indicate someone in the country has decided to try out vegetarianism, they immediately kill one additional animal each and every day, discarding its carcass to rot in the sun, as punishment to the do-gooder veggie for straying from the path of the carnivore. Thus ensuring that vegetarianism is never an ethical choice, because not eating meat causes more animals to be killed, not less.

So every time you eat a lentil curry or a tofu sandwich, a baby cow is murdered. Think about that.

• Upvote 1

I would hate to become a vegetarian. Don't get me wrong, I like and do eat a fair bit of vegetarian food, but I prefer to mix it up and be able to eat meat. My folks have both been veggies for the past few years having decided to be a bit more devout with Hinduism, but they don't mind at all that I eat meat as they recognise it is my choice to make. I've always considered being vegetarian to mean the exclusion of eggs and fish (and any products containing these or ingredients derived from them) as well as meat because that is basically how I've grown up to understand it. 'Pure vegetarian' is how it's labelled these days.

I don't bother with Quorn myself, but I recently went to my cousin's house and she'd prepped some Quorn 'chicken' nuggets for her 2 year old son. I tried some and was surprised that they tasted pretty much exactly like how I remember McDonald's nuggets. Still wouldn't buy either though.

Obviously the meat-slaughterers can't put up with this "vegetarian" bullshit, otherwise it might catch on and hurt their bottom line. So they monitor the meat consumption per capita, and whenever a downward fluctuation in sales of bacon and sausages are detected that might indicate someone in the country has decided to try out vegetarianism, they immediately kill one additional animal each and every day, discarding its carcass to rot in the sun, as punishment to the do-gooder veggie for straying from the path of the carnivore. Thus ensuring that vegetarianism is never an ethical choice, because not eating meat causes more animals to be killed, not less.

So every time you eat a lentil curry or a tofu sandwich, a baby cow is murdered. Think about that.

You sure wasted a lot of time typing that out bro

133553993184-twilight_sparkle_ang.png