You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

Can't put this off any longer I'm going to have to become one. Been wrestling with it for years but eating meat just can't be justified anymore as far as I'm concerned. A bit ashamed it's taken me this long. Any tips for newbies. How many are there on here?

Piece of piss nowadays.

Quorn is your friend, as are sauces.

I went pescetarian for a month (finished it yesterday).

Think I will try going veggie for a month, but I've come to the idea that killing an animal just so we can eat it, is not something I think I agree with.

Never thought I would think that, seeing as I was a massive carnivore and loved a good bloody steak.

Miss hulk is vegan and she finds it easy. She misses chocolate (vegan chocolate aint the best) but apart from that, she doesn't miss much else.

Go and stock up on quorn lamb strips, they actually taste like lamb!

Can't put this off any longer I'm going to have to become one. Been wrestling with it for years but eating meat just can't be justified anymore as far as I'm concerned. A bit ashamed it's taken me this long. Any tips for newbies. How many are there on here?

Im not a veggie but did not eat meat for a year a while back.

Its easy and honestly it forces you to eat/cook proper meals.

You need to watch your protein and other vitamin intake untill you get the hang of balancing your diet properly.

Indian and other Asian food is your best friend.

Thoughts on Tofu?

I have loads of Veggie/Vegan/Asian cook books about.

PM me if you need any recipes and ill type them,photocopy som for you

Out of interest will you be wearing leather shoes,belt etc?

I'm pretty much a racist veggie. I only eat the white meats. White is alright. I have always been flexitarian, spending days or weeks without eating meat. I love cooking and veg is always part of my diet. I have no real desire to gorge myself on disgusting pork/beef/horsedick products so I only eat fishies and chickens. I don't really see what the big deal is. Meat isn't an addiction like cigarettes or heroin. If you don't want to be a fat fucking ham-bone, stop eating red meat.

Im not a veggie but did not eat meat for a year a while back.

Its easy and honestly it forces you to eat/cook proper meals.

You need to watch your protein and other vitamin intake untill you get the hang of balancing your diet properly.

Indian and other Asian food is your best friend.

Thoughts on Tofu?

I have loads of Veggie/Vegan/Asian cook books about.

PM me if you need any recipes and ill type them,photocopy som for you

Out of interest will you be wearing leather shoes,belt etc?

Cheers mate I will do. No the leather shoes and belts are out as well, it's all or nothing really isn't it? I just think that in this day and age you just can't justify slaughtering animals for our own purposes and pleasures when we simply don't need to.

I went veggie for a month to win a bet a few years ago. Fairplay to you, its not for me.

I've worked around farms and seen the production of food first hand. I'm comfortable with it. I think I'd be prepared to slaughter my own meat if necessary. I think if you're not comfortable with those, then you should be considering it.

I found being a veggie hard work, especially labelling and eating out. It should be way easier than it is. Good on you.

Cheers mate I will do. No the leather shoes and belts are out as well, it's all or nothing really isn't it? I just think that in this day and age you just can't justify slaughtering animals for our own purposes and pleasures when we simply don't need to.

Yeah,my opinion is it has to be everything or nothing.

Just a question mate and by no means a pop.

But if that's your ethical view then where does the money come from to look after them, feed them, vet them, pay for medicines, control their population etc?

I went veggie for a month to win a bet a few years ago. Fairplay to you, its not for me.

I've worked around farms and seen the production of food first hand. I'm comfortable with it. I think I'd be prepared to slaughter my own meat if necessary. I think if you not comfortable with those, then you should be considering it.

I found being a veggie hard work, especially labelling and eating out. It should be way easier than it is. Good on you.

Completely agree with this.

Just a question mate and by no means a pop.

But if that's your ethical view then where does the money come from to look after them, feed them, vet them, pay for medicines, control their population etc?

One of the arguments is that there are far too many people in the world these days,its not sustainable long term.Cattle numbers wouldnt be so high naturally.

I agree with the other point that you should be able to slaughter your own meat,too many people just see meat as nice little cellophane packages.

• Upvote 1

One of the arguments is that there are far too many people in the world these days,its not sustainable long term.Cattle numbers wouldnt be so high naturally.

My point was more specifically around animal ethics Lee.

If "you just can't justify slaughtering animals for our own purposes and pleasures" then where does the money come from to pay for, look after and care for the animals.

From an ethical point I'm assuming veggies don't want cattle collapsing and dying across the countryside? They don't want infections and shit spreading through the animal population either.

If there is no revenue coming from meat/leather sales who will pay for the care and husbandry of animals?

I've worked around farms and seen the production of food first hand. I'm comfortable with it. I think I'd be prepared to slaughter my own meat if necessary. I think if you're not comfortable with those, then you should be considering it. .

You have an interesting point there. A lot of veggies I know are always banging on about how horrible the meat industry is, so I say 'so if you raised them and killed them ethically would it be ok?'

'Ewww no! sick!'

I don't understand that bit.

If it is about the ethics, then surely we can raise our animals kindly then kill them and eat them. I used to know a few people involved in animal rights extremism and honest to god, they were all fucking insane. If you threw this kind of question their way they would spazz-out and try to punch you. They don't do debates.

I worked with a guy who spent 5 years in jail for sending a bomb to a puppy farm except he got the address wrong and ended up injuring some farmer down the road. He was totally adamant that it was worth it for the cause. Kinell.

My point was more specifically around animal ethics Lee.

If "you just can't justify slaughtering animals for our own purposes and pleasures" then where does the money come from to pay for, look after and care for the animals.

From an ethical point I'm assuming veggies don't want cattle collapsing and dying across the countryside? They don't want infections and shit spreading through the animal population either.

If there is no revenue coming from meat/leather sales who will pay for the care and husbandry of animals?

Vegetarians lack the logic for that kind of thinking.