You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The unpopular opinion thread - amnesty applies.

Kevin D

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shankly: "If Everton were playing in my back garden, I'd close the curtains".

Modern day Liverpool internet fan transported back to the late sixties by Michael Douglas-invented-time-machine: "Well Everton have finished above us 6 times in Shankly's first 8 seasons, so I'd fucking well hope the Scottish clown opens the curtains and he might learn something. Who the fuck had he managed anyway? Huddersfield? Fuck off."

Modern day Liverpool internet fan transported back to the late sixties by Michael Douglas-invented-time-machine: "Well Everton have finished above us 6 times in Shankly's first 8 seasons, so I'd fucking well hope the Scottish clown opens the curtains and he might learn something. Who the fuck had he managed anyway? Huddersfield? Fuck off."

When did he say that? Whilst Everton were finishing above us?

Still, don't see how it relates.

I was making a light-hearted joke about the microscopic and hysterically critical nature of fandom these days what with the internet and that.

Ah right.

Rodgers is an unknown quantity and because of that he's gonna face plenty of criticism especially when things aren't going well.

Why people feel the need to bring Shankly into the equation is beyond me but there you go.

... which would then have ushered in 6 pages of hysterical posts about being racist, nationalist and occupationist.

Well Jose made a pretty salient point about Shankly - brought on by the fact that you got pot roast rubbed all over your chest at the mere mention of his name - but then you seem to have very little knowledge of his record or of one of the greatest quips in the history of the game.

How in anyway was it salient? The poster himself dismissed as a joke.

I'm well aware of the quote and when and why it was made, honestly that doesn't make me an uber fan you insecure lil pipsqueak and neither does it crinkle my cape to suggest it is ludicrous to mention Shankly on these terms.

Coro, no one is comparing Rodgers to Shankly. You're getting your knickers in a twist over fuck all.

I'm gonna paraphrase a little - 'Shankly talked bollocks but that's OK he won things.'

So, erm, WHAT?

PS You do realise the irony of you claiming someone else is getting sand in their fanny over nothing?

Coro, seriously, don't talk about irony. You get angry over fucking EVERYTHING and call me a hysterical little girl.

Are you honestly so dense that you can't understand what I'm talking about here?

Words don't really mean much, at the end of the day. I could stand here and say 'first is first, second is nothing' and would get no reaction whatsoever.

Shankly could say 'I'll fight with my life every day for this club and these people' and everyone would be inspired.

The reason everyone is taking the piss out of Rodgers is because he has no gravitas. Nothing to do with what he's actually saying.

Shankly occasionally talked bollocks, but it still inspired people because of how great a man he was.

Here we go again. Please be specific.

You've repeated what I've said and then accused me of being dense.

The 'ghost goal' comment was completely unnecessary as was his blaming the younger players for the FA Cup defeat. Every manager been and gone has made mistakes but if you can point to where Shankly talked bollocks and then link it to the current manager I will be very surprised.

EDIT - I'll try to sugarcoat my words with smilies n stuff even when I think you're talking shite like now