You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

3pts from fourth on second half form. Unbelievable really, considering we got 36pts, that'd normally be enough to get fourth (72pts over a season) but it was a high scoring year for the top sides. We let ourselves down with a few draws recently.

Going into next season, we'll be one of the more settled clubs. Everton, City, United, and Chelsea will all have new managers. We'll have the same manager, with some new players. If we get those right, we could do really well.

It depends if Pepe is still here as to how we will do next season. If he is gone the chances of finding a keeper even three quarters as good as him is remote. It is the one position that managers hate having to find players for.

Also with Carra gone we need a defender who can lead the defence and as we have seen up to now Dan and Martin don't seem to be able to do that. I also think we need to get another proven goalscorer no matter how old he is. I love Sturridge to bits but he isn't a player who is consistent in scoring.

With Suarez out for them games at the start of season its critical we get someone who can help Dan out up front in scoring imo.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It depends if Pepe is still here as to how we will do next season.

I just don't get it. He has cost us point after point for most of the season. Him leaving isn't some massive turning point in how we'll do next season, in my opinion.

I think there are quite a few keepers out there who I'd prefer in goal to Pepe. There are even more to the Pepe of the last two years bar the sudden turn in form. I genuinely don't think it's anywhere near the big-deal some are making it out to be. Each to their own, though.

I just don't get it. He has cost us point after point for most of the season. Him leaving isn't some massive turning point in how we'll do next season, in my opinion.

I think there are quite a few keepers out there who I'd prefer in goal to Pepe. There are even more to the Pepe of the last two years bar the sudden turn in form. I genuinely don't think it's anywhere near the big-deal some are making it out to be. Each to their own, though.

It s extremely rare to replace a keeper with another from a different club starting well.It takes time for a keeper to settle down and form a understanding with the defence. More so with us as Carra being the only one who could organise the defence and he wont be here.

3pts from fourth on second half form. Unbelievable really, considering we got 36pts, that'd normally be enough to get fourth (72pts over a season) but it was a high scoring year for the top sides. We let ourselves down with a few draws recently.

Going into next season, we'll be one of the more settled clubs. Everton, City, United, and Chelsea will all have new managers. We'll have the same manager, with some new players. If we get those right, we could do really well.

We could possibly be starting the new season with a new defender, fullback and keeper.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We could possibly be starting the new season with a new defender, fullback and keeper.

Fullback? Which side? We'll probably get 2 CBs - one kid and one full international - and maybe a keeper. It might well be an improvement. I'd take Alderweireld and somebody like Begovic over Skrtel and Reina.

If we sell Reina and Skrtel I have every confidence that we will come out of it stronger.

Not really asked about Skrtel but replacing Pepe will be difficult.

Takes a certain type of keeper who can do nothing all game and then when asked can pull off the only save in the match. Admittedly Reina had lost that ability but he clearly has it back again.

If we sell Reina and Skrtel I have every confidence that we will come out of it stronger.

Keepers are really tough to replace, I hope we are trying to keep Reina.

Aren't we still 6th in the form guide since January. That's an idle guess by the way. Either way we are better off with Sturridge coutinho in January than I reckon we would of been with Dempsey sigurdsson in the summer.

I agree. Quality signings. Long term signings, unlike Dempsey.

Guest San Don

Interest in Rose signals the probability of Enrique leaving?

Liverpool are interested inTottenham defender Danny Rose but will have to offload others | Mail Online

Liverpool have revived their interest in Tottenham left back Danny Rose.

The England Under 21 star was one of Sunderland’s best performers during his loan spell, and boss Paolo Di Canio is keen on the 22-year-old.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers failed to sign Rose in the last two transfer windows and is struggling to make his £20million budget stretch.

He will have to offload Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing and Jose Enrique, and Pepe Reina may also go.

Barcelona are said to be keen on the goalkeeper, while Sam Allardyce is keen for Carroll's successful loan move to be made permanent but may not have the funds for such a move.

I just don't get it. He has cost us point after point for most of the season. Him leaving isn't some massive turning point in how we'll do next season' date=' in my opinion.

I think there are quite a few keepers out there who I'd prefer in goal to Pepe. There are even more to the Pepe of the last two years bar the sudden turn in form. I genuinely don't think it's anywhere near the big-deal some are making it out to be. Each to their own, though.[/quote']

No goalkeeper is perfect, and confidence in your defense is all important; I'd argue that the back four have to share responsibility for goals conceded.

Reina's outfield play is 2nd to none, and we'll sorely miss what he brings to the counter attack if he moves on . Pepe is worth goals.

More than most beneath us perhaps. Less than those already above us.

Similarly, Spurs and Arsenal don't have to deal with one of their best players retiring.

We have to invest this summer.

We sure do. Hope someone has told the yanks there's a MASSIVE opportunity to sneak top 4 next season. With so much change going on at sides above us, the planets are aligned. Im sure some senior stragegist will be pointing this out......

We sure do. Hope someone has told the yanks there's a MASSIVE opportunity to sneak top 4 next season. With so much change going on at sides above us, the planets are aligned. Im sure some senior stragegist will be pointing this out......

Yeah, it's a massive opportunity. City, Arsenal and Chelsea are all about to spend big in the summer and Utd finished 30 points above us this season. We'll walk the top four, if not the league.

Massive opportunity.

Saying that, FSG need to invest and Rodgers needs to invest wisely.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah' date=' it's a massive opportunity. City, Arsenal and Chelsea are all about to spend big in the summer and Utd finished 30 points above us this season. We'll walk the top four, if not the league.

Massive opportunity.

Saying that, FSG need to invest and Rodgers needs to invest wisely.[/quote']

3 of the four teams you mention will have new managers. As we know from experience, spending big doesn't mean they'll do good business.

I actually do think we have a opportunity here. We just need to get our own transfers right.

£20m budget. Is that all?

Figure that Carroll, Reina and Coates will bring in another 30 million. Add to that more if Skrtel and/or Shelvey go, plus a million or two from the likes of Spearing, Assaidi, Flanagan, etc.

I think we're actually going to be huge players in the transfer market this offseason. We'll have probably 50 million or more to spend, maybe even 60 million. Maybe we won't be in contention for the very top-rated players, but we'll be bringing in quite a few.

With that money we need a starting GK, CB, and AM, and then three or four players for the squad as well (another CB if Skrtel goes, a backup DM, a wide forward would be nice, maybe a fullback?).

Any way you slice it, by the time this summer's done we'll have rebuilt our squad. If the transfer committee can replicate their January performance, we'll have a good chance at top 4. If not, then Rodgers will probably be sacked after we finish 7th again on 55 points. It really could go either way.

Figure that Carroll, Reina and Coates will bring in another 30 million. Add to that more if Skrtel and/or Shelvey go, plus a million or two from the likes of Spearing, Assaidi, Flanagan, etc.

I think we're actually going to be huge players in the transfer market this offseason. We'll have probably 50 million or more to spend, maybe even 60 million. Maybe we won't be in contention for the very top-rated players, but we'll be bringing in quite a few.

With that money we need a starting GK, CB, and AM, and then three or four players for the squad as well (another CB if Skrtel goes, a backup DM, a wide forward would be nice, maybe a fullback?).

Any way you slice it, by the time this summer's done we'll have rebuilt our squad. If the transfer committee can replicate their January performance, we'll have a good chance at top 4. If not, then Rodgers will probably be sacked after we finish 7th again on 55 points. It really could go either way.

This is true but it doesn't address the issue that a £20m investment in the squad is probably not going to be enough. Spending £50m is not the same as investing £50m.

We may recoup £30m from sales, but even if we spent that £30m, it'll only go to replacing existing squad members and hence won't help us push on that much. When you look at the bench and see the likes of Suso and Assaidi as our attacking substitutes, you really begin to understand the grave lack of depth we currently have. Coutinho is great, so is Sturridge, but if anybody thinks they're going to consistently be as great as they've been next season they're deluded.

If we're replacing Pepe, Carragher, Skrtel, Coates, Carroll, Assaidi etc, £20m net may be fine. But improving the squad in a wider sense? It'll be bloody hard.