You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

So we don't have enough forwards, but Moses won't play, because we have too many forwards, but Sturridge gets injured, but we don't have enough options because Coutinho doesn't always fire, but we have too many players for Moses to play much.

Is that about right?

No not really.

We hopefully have 4 players with reasonable ability to cover 4 positions, but one of them is injury plagued, one is suspension plagued, one has not delievered against good opposition and the other has never set the PL alight at any of his former clubs.

Then we have 4 other ones we cant rely on doing anything of note either as starters or subs.

Thats about it.

Code, You lost me where you say Sterling was shite. On the contrary, the young man, despite his age, was a thorn in the side of the Mancs in the short while he was on the pitch, running at them, holding and shielding the ball, he even got one over scum had it not been for the agility of the goalie. This boy represents the future of the club. Aspas and Alberto just need to settle in; you know it takes a while to do so in this league.

He was running straight into Valencia's pocket all day, he was awful.

I was sitting in the Kop thinking if it would be too harsh for Rodgers to sub him again, I see some people say he forced a good save out of the De Gea, but even my granny would have saved that one.

No not really.

We hopefully have 4 players with reasonable ability to cover 4 positions, but one of them is injury plagued, one is suspension plagued, one has not delievered against good opposition and the other has never set the PL alight at any of his former clubs.

Then we have 4 other ones we cant rely on doing anything of note either as starters or subs.

Thats about it.

Alberto and Aspas written off after 3 games. Marvellous. Bank that one somebody.

No not really.

Thats about it.

Too keep things relatively simple I see our team/squad in terms of a 4-2-4 scenario.

In defence its fair to say we have plenty of quality & cover. Nothing much to discuss here.

In midfield we have a choice of two from Lucas, Gerrard, Allen & Henderson. Maybe we lack a mean bastard but I do like that imo all of those 4 players could form a decent partnership with any of the other.

In attack, maybe we are one top quality player short but we still have plenty of options. easily our 3 best attackers are Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge. as a front three that is strong. against the strong teams we will probably sacrifice an attacker to include 3 of the midfielders to make us more difficult to play against. When we pick four forwards there's still good competition and variety in Moses & Aspas. Sterling and Luis Alberto are other options but also in the longer term, development category.

Injuries will always be key. City apart I doubt any other club could cope with a longish term injury to their key players.

This is the strongest squad we've had since 09. I hope to see an improvement in our league position and certainly look for a 10-15 points higher total.

Suarez or Suarez

Sturridge or Sturridge

Coutinho or Coutinho

Sterling or Sterling

Ibe or Ibe

-----------------------

Downing or Moses

Borini or Aspas

Suso or Alberto

Shelvey or ??

Assaidi or ??

Sterling, Alberto, Ibe and Aspas goes from not good enough to highly questionable on the level we aspire to so how anyone can say we have actually improved and even worse are happy with the window I'm not sure of.

Moses will be a good signing hopefully, but he is on loan and loan players have a tendency to be overlooked for the clubs own players, especially as starters.

We need Henderson' s energy, pressing and forward runs with and without the ball in midfield and neither Sterling, Ibe or Alberto are players who can come on and change a game, sterling for instance was so shite against the mancs he should have been taken off again, it was painful to watch him doing what he always do unless he has 50 yards of open space to run into and for Aspas, he looks lightweight and more worryingly slow, I doubt he will have much an impact against the better teams in the league and so far he has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he will be one we can look to on the bench when we are struggling saying get Aspas on.

So that leaves us with a loan signing of Victor Moses to rely on when one of the other front three are injured or have an off day.

For me thats not really good enough, but I might have higher standards than many others on here.

The biggest improvement this year will come not from new players but form the fact we seem to have abandoned the silly split center back nonsense that doesn't work with our quick transition game.

That should be enough to make us competitive, which is all you can ask for given FSGs lack of appetite for doing what it takes to make a serious assault.

Anyone reckon Zenith or someone from Russia might still come in for Skrtel?

They made an enquiry last January, few people at the club thought he would go back to them in the summer.

I'm pleased we have kept him, people forget he was our player of the year two seasons ago. He is still a top quality centre back, and now he knows when he gets an opportunity to play, he had got to perform otherwise he will be on the bench.

They made an enquiry last January, few people at the club thought he would go back to them in the summer.

I'm pleased we have kept him, people forget he was our player of the year two seasons ago. He is still a top quality centre back, and now he knows when he gets an opportunity to play, he had got to perform otherwise he will be on the bench.

Good every player needs competition.

Would Downing have pulled his finger out if he had top class competition?

Ok, I'm reaching now!

I would agree with Code on the Sterling thing, I think he was awful against the mancs, he didn´t challenge or tackle, reminded me of Meireles´ pussy-stuff. And the other thing, what was this defending stuff where he went back Enrique and let utd run at us?

I have hopes for Sterling, and he is good, but he is quite a pussy sometimes and needs to toughen up.

I would agree with Code on the Sterling thing, I think he was awful against the mancs, he didn´t challenge or tackle, reminded me of Meireles´ pussy-stuff. And the other thing, what was this defending stuff where he went back Enrique and let utd run at us?

I have hopes for Sterling, and he is good, but he is quite a pussy sometimes and needs to toughen up.

Yes he was poor when he came on, which was strange considering he was one of our best players in the midweek league cup game.

He shouldn't feature in the big matches yet. I wouldn't expect him to start many, if any league games this season. I think he would benefit from a loan in January until the end of the season, ideally to another premiership club.

Sterling is far too lightweight and can't hold the ball up under pressure to save himself. Without space to operate in, he is pretty much a liability, as any thing that goes to him pretty much gets taken off him.

He needs to find some strength or some better skills with the feet to avoid rushing defenders (preferably both) or he's going to struggle to make it to anywhere near a decent level for us.

To be fair to Sterling, he usually get stuck in and is much stronger than his size would suggest. Don't think that Man U cameo is a microcosm of Sterling as a player. Coutinho didn't do any better, for example.