You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

If that article regarding Will Hughes is accurate then we are spunking away £10 million on a player who will be staying at Derby for the rest of the season.

If we are operating on a limited budget as it would appear that we are, then where is the logic in frittering away £10 million on potential when the blatant need for investment in the first team is being overlooked?

Our first team was only good enough to finish seventh last season....without improvements being made, how can we possibly do better this season, when the sides around us are strengthening?

Well it will make it look like we have positive spend this window, even though payments will be deferred to next summers window spending in actuality.

Theres one benefit I can think of, we want our owners to look their best dont we?

Seems we are "on the verge" of spending £10 million on Will Hughes of Derby County.

Liverpool on the verge of securing £10m Derby midfielder Will Hughes - Transfers - Football - The Independent

FSG willing to loosen the purse strings on young potential, but not so keen when it comes to improving our first team.

I watched him 2 weeks ago in the win against Brighton. I remember the hair but I was half cut so I have nothing to add.

Buying British isn't the death sentence that Kenny and Comolli made it look. Buying the right British players, at the right age, at the right time, is what it's all about.

The state of the English national team is more a reflection of the management, not the players. Everything HAS to be based around Rooney and Gerrard. Well, that's 2 players, and so it all becomes about superstars, it's lazy. Then we come up against a really well organised side, with no real superstars, and we get given a lesson.

Discipline, intelligence, fitness, this is how you win games and titles and cups. Players who can manage themselves in-game, cover each other, know when to make runs, know when to hold onto the ball. That's why Spain are successful and Argentina are not. Spain's players manage games better, they aren't headless chickens and nutmegging people all over the place. They're just controlling space, controlling risks, and then probing for weaknesses and running in support of the person on the ball, not piling into the box waiting for a cross. Same with Dortmund, Bayern and Barca. All up in support, then all back in place, win the ball back, then resting with the ball for a minute or two and start probing again.

We CAN do this with British player. Not ALL British players, but to always look abroad isn't always the answer. A player like Scott Sinclair isn't to be sniffed at, we're snobs when it comes to transfer targets and it's not exactly worked in our favour for 20 years now. The answer doesn't lie at the feet of a £30m player.

You don't think buying Will Hughes makes sense?

I have no idea who Will Hughes is, thought he was part of a boyband or something.

The English players in the PL is bad enough as it is, I have no interest in those playing in the Championship or the Championship as a whole for that matter.

Or that we tie up one of the biggest midfield talents in England...

Again, he's English, ergo he can't be as good as Geoffrey Kondogbia at Sevilla, or Thiago at Barca, or Veratti at PSG.

Because he;s English and playing for Derby, he must be absolutely shite.

Nevermind that we can actually work with him for the next decade, as opposed to getting in a similarly talented latin player and losing him in 2.5 years and starting all over again. No, that's not important...

See, that's your problem, Code72; you don't know anything.

Will Hughes is very, very good. He'll go to a top club, if not us, and be a top player.

Yep he's so good he is playing at Derby and he obviously must have played his part in the all conquering English youth teams this summer.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I hope to god we don't spunk £10m on Hughes if it means we won't spend on a top-class first team player.

It hasn't been mentioned that we're going to pay £10m for him, to be fair. The article says '10m rated'. It could be a case where we agree a £6m free, pay 1.5m up front, then add ons.

Or it could just all be bollocks, like normal. Just like this 'Willian is holding out for LFC to match the bid' nonsense.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He's four years younger - i'd say it would be wrong to say he is as good, or not as good as anyone at that age!

He might go on to be the best player that ever was or ever will be, but I can tell you that he's not as good as those players. Not now. Why? Because he's 18 with little chicken legs. The others are fully fledged internationals who play first team football for the best sides around, and they're brilliant.

Yep he's so good he is playing at Derby and he obviously must have played his part in the all conquering English youth teams this summer.

He came through the ranks there ffs, not every player just pops up at a top club and Derby are probably better than half these Norwegian teams you'd advocate signing players from

And he was injured for the u21 tournament so no

It hasn't been mentioned that we're going to pay £10m for him, to be fair. The article says '10m rated'. It could be a case where we agree a £6m free, pay 1.5m up front, then add ons.

Or it could just all be bollocks, like normal. Just like this 'Willian is holding out for LFC to match the bid' nonsense.

I would normally take solace in your correction but then I realised who we are. If there was a ever a club to pay over the odds it'd be us.

Either way, I'm not against us looking for young 'potential' - I just don't really care. That might seem myopic but i'm currently in need for us to sign a footballing god to quench my transfer hysteria.