You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

So two players who won't be able to get a game where they are, are demanding 1st team football. Fuck them right off. Come in and prove yourself, then you'll have nothing to worry about.

Maybe they want to play football and are not prepared to sit on the bench.

I would never hold that against anyone if I'm honest.

Maybe they want to play football and are not prepared to sit on the bench.

I would never hold that against anyone if I'm honest.

I wouldn't hold it against them either, but if they're not confident of their own ability to claim a starting place then they're not what we need.

Enrique's pretty decent, but if someone's looking at his defensive ability and Downing's attacking prowess and doesn't know if they'd be able to better either then we'd do well to steer clear.

Downing is the perfect example of a English player , who had one or two good games as a youngster and got totally overhyped about.

He has been ok at most for short periods for some of his clubs. He is another Geoff Thomas or Andy Carroll a Neil Webb all overhyped and English and teams fall for it everytime.

Not a new thing for us i will throw into mix

Paul Stewart

Julian Dicks

Jimmy Carter

Nigel Clough

Joe Cole

Pennant

Just the english ones all been bought on back of good seasons beforehand and were brutal for us now add downing. In fact forget the good season they had a good match against us during the season before

Anyone who saw the Porto vs Napoli game would have seen the Quintero, just 20 years old and doing a passable impression of Coutinho.

Only his debut, but he's got a release clause of £30m. Would be cheeky as fuck.

I still think Benteke is there to be had. We could always offer Downing and or Henderson to sweeten the deal.

Anyone who saw the Porto vs Napoli game would have seen the Quintero, just 20 years old and doing a passable impression of Coutinho.

Only his debut, but he's got a release clause of £30m. Would be cheeky as fuck.

I still think Benteke is there to be had. We could always offer Downing and or Henderson to sweeten the deal.

Benteke signed a new deal a couple of weeks ago, granted, and we know more than most at the moment, contacts are worth diddly squat in modern football, but I doubt he'll be going anywhere for the time being.

Because FSG are tightwads and won't countenance it until Suarez has gone.

There may or may not be a name coming in, Costa, or whoever, but it is clear that there is reluctance to come to us without CL football, so the way forward has to be with youth.

Doesn't matter so much about the money - if the target won't come, you can't beat the owners up about it.

There may or may not be a name coming in' date=' Costa, or whoever, but it is clear that there is reluctance to come to us without CL football, so the way forward has to be with youth.

Doesn't matter so much about the money - if the target won't come, you can't beat the owners up about it.[/quote']

Why not? Maybe targets would be more willing to come with an experienced CEO at the club, or at least some footballing heads somewhere.

I can't believe that players like Bernard would chose Porto over Liverpool.

Yes' date=' I'm sure that factors into most modern footballer's decision on what club to sign for.[/quote']

Sorry I meant, maybe we'd be able to find, secure and convince targets easier if our CEO had experience of doing so.

Maybe if we had footballing heads (even Kenny, but also people like people like Txixi, however you spell it) we would find it easier to convince them.

Why not? Maybe targets would be more willing to come with an experienced CEO at the club, or at least some footballing heads somewhere.

I can't believe that players like Bernard would chose Porto over Liverpool.

I agree why choose Porto over Liverpool as we are from these parts but if you were a youngster coming from Brazil then.........

1. Porto will play champions league every year (won it a few years back)

2. They will usually win or at least challenge for their national title

3. Gets to play in front of 50,000 every 2nd week

4. Style of football less physical

5. They have strong links with Brazil

6. Speaks his native language

7. Weather great

8. Guaranteed starting spot

9. Chances are he will become a big fish in a small pond in Portugal and will ultimately secure a bigger european move in the future.

I agree why choose Porto over Liverpool as we are from these parts but if you were a youngster coming from Brazil then.........

1. Porto will play champions league every year (won it a few years back)

2. They will usually win or at least challenge for their national title

3. Gets to play in front of 50' date='000 every 2nd week

4. Style of football less physical

5. They have strong links with Brazil

6. Speaks his native language

7. Weather great

8. Guaranteed starting spot

9. Chances are he will become a big fish in a small pond in Portugal and will ultimately secure a bigger european move in the future.

.[/quote']

You can colour it that way, I agree, and we can summarise your post as "it'll be easier for him".

But we haven't even tried. That isn't conjecture but reality - their president listed those interested and we weren't one. In fact, it seems Shakhtar is where he will end up.

I just think we should be competing for these players at least. Maybe I overestimate how good he is but I think he really is very good.

He's 3rd party owned too who've given Porto plenty of business over the past few years

Its an arrangement that words hence him going there.

We need to get a grip' date=' Capoue's joining Spurs and we're doing nothing[/quote']

That is probably the biggest obstacle.

Oddly it seems like he is off to Shakhtar.

We need to get a grip, Capoue's joining Spurs and we're doing nothing

While I'm not going to deny that there might be a small possibility of such a deal happening, you - like many others on this forum - need to learn to distinguish between rumour and fact, as you seem to be one of those that equate 'rumoured to be' with 'done deal' on a regular basis.