You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Guest Numero Veinticinco
As yet the squad hasn't been weakened as such, just added to in terms of depth. We really need a couple of signings of proven quality who will significantly strengthen and improve the first team. Hold onto Suarez for at least one more season ans do that, and we'll be in a good position. I think FSG have made the money available, but it's now down to Rodgers, the scouting team, and Ayre to get it done. Plenty of time for that to happen yet.

If things take a turn for the worse by the time for window closes, that'll be the time to ask serious questions. But we're about 5 weeks away from that.

Absolutely correct, in my opinion. If we manage to keep Suarez, which is still 50/50, then increase our net spent by buying the couple of players Rodgers has spoken about getting (say, I dunno, Eriksen/Bernard and Papadopoulos/Alderweireld, or their equivalents), we'd have strengthened both the first team and the squad, giving him better options from the bench.

On the other hand, even as one of the main 'defenders' of FSG's approach to rebuilding the team and finances, if we don't spend out (some seem to think that's a possibility) and this is our only business, then they'll get a lot of deserved criticism for allowing us to stand still.

As yet the squad hasn't been weakened as such' date=' just added to in terms of depth. We really need a couple of signings of proven quality who will significantly strengthen and improve the first team. Hold onto Suarez for at least one more season ans do that, and we'll be in a good position. I think FSG have made the money available, but it's now down to Rodgers, the scouting team, and Ayre to get it done. Plenty of time for that to happen yet.

If things take a turn for the worse by the time for window closes, that'll be the time to ask serious questions. But we're about 5 weeks away from that.[/quote']

Careful now.

Sensible and level-headed posts are frowned on don't you know...

I don't think the Indonesia game helped ease people's fears. It's the kind of pre-season game that you know you shouldn't read anything into, but it's hard not to see a pattern in.

With Downing in full on abort mode, and a team of part timers seemingly strolling through the middle of us, the fact that these are the areas many felt needed strengthening as a priority just frays a few nerves.

I thought Barca had bought Ter Stegen for next season so Reina would be Barca's back up keeper anyway?

Reina has obviously gone downhill a bit but he was excellent since Christmas and is so much better than Brad Jones that it was a nightmare hearing that Reina was injured at times.

We will have a championship standard keeper as back up and a keeper whose team just avoided relegation as first choice.

Doesnt sound anything more than a financial improvement to me.

You may have doubts over Mignolet, fair enough. But to doubt him because his TEAM just avoided relegation is ridiculous. To counter that piss poor reasoning.He also shares the No1 jersey for one of the strongest international teams of the moment.

Guest San Don
I don't think the Indonesia game helped ease people's fears. It's the kind of pre-season game that you know you shouldn't read anything into' date=' but it's hard not to see a pattern in.

With Downing in full on abort mode, and a team of part timers seemingly strolling through the middle of us, the fact that these are the areas many felt needed strengthening as a priority just frays a few nerves.[/quote']

Second game of pre season, played in sweltering conditions, couldnt give a fuck about the result or even how we played. So what if arse whooped them?

We played a first half team at preston then a different one in the second half. We probably played a different team in indonesia then made a couple of subs in the second half.

Fitness, that's all these games are about.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Second game of pre season, played in sweltering conditions, couldnt give a fuck about the result or even how we played. So what if arse whooped them?

We played a first half team at preston then a different one in the second half. We probably played a different team in indonesia then made a couple of subs in the second half.

Two games, six goals scored, no goals conceded, fitness getting better, shit pitch and humidity but still won comfortably and hit the post twice. I'd say pre-season is going swimmingly.

You may have doubts over Mignolet, fair enough. But to doubt him because his TEAM just avoided relegation is ridiculous. To counter that piss poor reasoning.He also shares the No1 jersey for one of the strongest international teams of the moment.

There's a reason why Sunderland just avoided relegation, and we bought him.

I agree entirely, but you just know it's the kind of game that gets people a little antsy. If we'd battered them the criticism is they're no marks, if we don't then it's seen to only highlight problems.

Then there's also the sense of deja vu to last summer, waiting on a CF that never arrived, adding depth but little to the starting eleven.

I'm still optimistic, but i can see why some are starting to get a bit nervy.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Do we play any decent teams pre season this year?

Celtic, Olympiakos. Not sure if Valerenga are any good at the moment.

Then there's also the sense of deja vu to last summer

Really? I feel totally different this summer. We seem very settled, in control, getting a lot of business done early, and we're comfortable on the pitch with a better way of playing. We didn't win any of our first three pre-season games, and looked pretty disjointed and shit in them, scoring just a couple of goals.

With 5 weeks to go, we're quite comfortable this season.

Really? I feel totally different this summer. We seem very settled, in control, getting a lot of business done early, and we're comfortable on the pitch with a better way of playing. We didn't win any of our first three pre-season games, and looked pretty disjointed and shit in them, scoring just a couple of goals.

With 5 weeks to go, we're quite comfortable this season.

I'm talking specifically about transfer activity.

Early targets that add depth to the squad, everyone waiting for a key transfer, a signing that looks nailed on to fit in the starting XI, everyone saying "have patience" and the end result was having to wait until January.

I'm not saying the same will happen here, but it does seem eerily familiar.

Yeah, Rodgers is in a tough spot.

If he spends now on two reasonable players for key positions, and Suarez goes, he'll be left with a shitload more cash and would've likely been able to target better players and restructure in a different way.

If he holds on, and Suarez stays, he may miss his targets.

Either way, it's the kind of thing that'll get picked over with 20/20 hindsight.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Sound. I'm only really arsed about performances in the last two or three games (which presumably those games will be).

Celtic is last up, I think. In Dublin. That'll be good. Probably a full strength side, so we'll see how we're looking. That'll be a decent test, as they'll be well up for it.

Bertrand would have been a good signing, I like the look of him. Digne would have been even better like but I think he was always going to PSG.

Oh and we've also been linked with that lad from Seville haven't we? Moreno? I think it's clear that Rodgers wants competition for Enrique, if not a replacement.

We might want to make 2 more signings but the fact that most of our top targets don't seem interested is what's concerning. Fingers crossed.

I think we may have gone for Bertrand after the Ilori deal didn't happen. He was supposed to be able at CB and LB so perhaps we wanted some kind of cover for Enrique. I don't think it has anything to do with wanting him moved on.

If you can't attract the players you have to pay a higher wage, its the cost of not having champions league, we have to compensate some how. We're stuck between a rock and a hard place. What's it going to take to make that extra step up.

FSG to wake up and smell the coffee.