You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Ozil is the type of Wenger panic signing that is designed to make fans think Arsenal and Wenger are spending loads of money on good things and becoming stronger.

Last day of the window, £46m player.

It's the 'big surprise' he talked about yesterday, and it's bought him another year of not winning anything, because Ozil is 'mint' and people can put his name on their shirts and be happy.

Agree that Ozil isn't exactly what Arsenal need and won't address their main problems, namely their defence and goal keeping positions. But he is a class player and will still improve them enormously as an attacking side. He's light years ahead of what they already have, none of their current players come close to him.

Santi Cazorla probably the closest one, others are light years away though.

This Sunderland move could be a risk for Borini, given that the man who wants him could well be out of a job in a few games if things don't improve.

not sure how he even gets games in that team. between altidore and fletcher they will play most of the games. and they got adam Johnson and that Italian fella to play the wings.

Yeah, what are arsenal doing signing proven world class players like Ozil? They should try a wild stab in the dark on someone like Iago Aspas instead. Stupid arsenal.

Don't think anyone is criticising Arsenal for this. Not really a fair comparison with Aspas, he cost us 'only' around £7M, not exactly in the world class bracket.

If we were signing Ozil, I'd be pretty ecstatic about it.

Oh I'd be fucking delighted, but if you were an Arsenal fan who's watched a succession of clowns play in goal for them, behind a wide selection of dubious centre-halves, who are going to be protected by a defensive midfielder they let go to Milan on a free transfer about four years ago (where he hardly tore up any trees), I'd be thinking I'd want other areas strengthened first...

Surely it isn't the Özil signing that is being criticised but the lack of signings elsewhere. They have quite a thin squad right now. They were struggling to find defenders last week weren't they?

That was kind of the point I was making.

As an avowed Arsenal fan, I expect you'd be delighted if they signed Ozil and did nothing to address goalkeeper, central defence and central midfield?

Oh I'd be fucking delighted, but if you were an Arsenal fan who's watched a succession of clowns play in goal for them, behind a wide selection of dubious centre-halves, who are going to be protected by a defensive midfielder they let go to Milan on a free transfer about four years ago (where he hardly tore up any trees), I'd be thinking I'd want other areas strengthened first...

I think if they do get Ozil, Flamini will still be their best signing this window. They lack any form of steel in the midfield if Diaby doesnt play, which is quite often (whether due to injury or stupid tactics i dont know). Ozil doesnt help in this regard, Flamini will... somewhat...

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Hope the hijack succeeds! Ozil is only looking for a big pay day at a club in the Champions League so would probably choose PSG.

That really would be fucking ace.

Fair enough, mate. But if we signed him everyone would go full retard, Arsenal make a bid and it's "oh, they don't need him at all".

It's not that they don't need him - he'll obviously strengthen them and significantly improve their attacking options.

However, they already had plenty of attacking options - what they lacked/lack is bite, steel and bollocks...

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Fair enough' date=' mate. But if we signed him everyone would go full retard, Arsenal make a bid and it's "oh, they don't need him at all".[/quote']

Nope, it's all 'he's a great player but in an area they're strongest'. If we signed Courtois for 35m, I'd be glad we've got a good player. It would be much better spent on an attacking wide player, though.