You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Twitter rumour via Bild in Germany

SPORT BILD þ@SPORTBILD 11m

Breaking News: Kevin-Prince #Boateng schon zur medizinischen Untersuchung auf Schalke!

Kevin-Prince Boateng having a medical at Schalke. I guess he wasn't happy at AC Milan after all the abuse. Does that mean Schalke is moving on one of their midfielders (Draxler)?

Methinks that this means that Kaka returns to Milan, that's all.

For 20 years we've only needed a couple of good signings in order to challenge....

It's almost like there's been a conspiracy to keep us from competing. As you say, we've always had the bones of a top squad and then we've been sabotaged or sabotaged ourselves.

The Spice Boys days, we just needed to NOT buy shit defenders like Ruddock and Babb.

The Houllier years, we just needed to NOT waste £30m on Biscan, Kirkland, Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou and Pongolle.

The Benitez years, we just needed to NOT waste £40m on Keane and Aquilani.

The Kenny return, we just needed to NOT waste £75m on Carroll, Downing and Henderson.

And now, we just needed to invest a similar amount as we've always done, but we can't/won't/forgot/don't care.

23 years of uselessness in signing players. The only constant during these years has been the strength offered by the homegrown lads in the form of Carragher, Owen, McManaman, Fowler, Murphy and Gerrard who have seen us through that period.

The highlights of purchasing during this 23 year period have been Hyppia, Torres, Suarez, Hamann and Alonso. Just five really outstanding players, then a sub level of Mascherano, Kuyt, Agger, Reina, McAllister, and then a further sub level of the likes of Garcia, Litmanen, Finnan etc and then just utter filler and then just utter garbage.

You look at the list of 100 players who shook the Kop, it's comedy. On the list of the 100 best players we've had, we've got the likes of...

34. Luis Garcia

36. Lucas

43. Riise

51. Glen Johnson

55. Berger

58. Smicer

59. Skrtel

61. Cisse

72. Baros

73. Crouch

79. Maxi

Of ALL TIME. Don't forget that, of ALL TIME.

Just not good enough, just smacks of stupid people making stupid decisions at critical times.

The vast majority of supporters I've spoken to are fair minded enough to recognise it was always going to be a difficult summer with regards to securing players who would make a big impact on our first XI. I don't think anyone expected miracles and without Champions League it was always going to be difficult.

However, where do you draw the line? A total lack of re-inforcements, coupled with the sales made and further slashing of the wage bill, a few days before the window shuts and with the season already in full flow. I think the time for being charitable and giving the club the benefit of the doubt has probably passed. A couple of squad fillers over the coming days doesn't cut it. Up until this point I've given FSG the benefit of the doubt but barring a rabbit being pulled from the hat in the coming days I think it's fair for us to really question their motives as owners of the club. This was the summer they said we'd kick on, instead we've stumbled from one transfer saga to the next, embarrassing ourself in the process and failing to secure anyone of note. I hope for their sake they have something in the pipeline or public opinion will really start to turn against them.

Good post, sums the situation up perfectly.

I think the nutters banging on about net spend and conspiracy theories are easy to dismiss, but it masks a more unsettling worry that's growing in the minds of many reasonable supporters, which is that we're simply not very capable as an outfit.

It'd be easier to dismiss those fears with a seasoned DoF, manager or chairman and a clear sense of the system behind the scenes.

Sakho reputedly has a poor attitude. I suspect that is why, despite his undoubted talent, both Ancelotti and Blanc have not been too keen on him.

Ancelotti didnt seem to have a problem with him. He started in the majority of their league games last season, and i dont think thats too bad considering Silva is a given, and Alex aint half bad, now they have signed Marquinhos too, so chances will be limited for him.

Just not good enough, just smacks of stupid people making stupid decisions at critical times.

No way to run a business, is it? I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to FSG since the Kenny/Comolli fiasco. If I was Henry I'd be grilling Rodgers and the scouts over every single piece of business.

One player that sticks out as a poster boy of this kind of stupidity is Coates. Didn't anybody who scouted him see that he had no pace, and that he might not be a good fit for the PL? The club should make these scouting reports public.

It's almost like there's been a conspiracy to keep us from competing. As you say, we've always had the bones of a top squad and then we've been sabotaged or sabotaged ourselves.

The Spice Boys days, we just needed to NOT buy shit defenders like Ruddock and Babb.

The Houllier years, we just needed to NOT waste £30m on Biscan, Kirkland, Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou and Pongolle.

The Benitez years, we just needed to NOT waste £40m on Keane and Aquilani.

The Kenny return, we just needed to NOT waste £75m on Carroll, Downing and Henderson.

And now, we just needed to invest a similar amount as we've always done, but we can't/won't/forgot/don't care.

23 years of uselessness in signing players. The only constant during these years has been the strength offered by the homegrown lads in the form of Carragher, Owen, McManaman, Fowler, Murphy and Gerrard who have seen us through that period.

The highlights of purchasing during this 23 year period have been Hyppia, Torres, Suarez, Hamann and Alonso. Just five really outstanding players, then a sub level of Mascherano, Kuyt, Agger, Reina, McAllister, and then a further sub level of the likes of Garcia, Litmanen, Finnan etc and then just utter filler and then just utter garbage.

You look at the list of 100 players who shook the Kop, it's comedy. On the list of the 100 best players we've had, we've got the likes of...

34. Luis Garcia

36. Lucas

43. Riise

51. Glen Johnson

55. Berger

58. Smicer

59. Skrtel

61. Cisse

72. Baros

73. Crouch

79. Maxi

Of ALL TIME. Don't forget that, of ALL TIME.

Garcia (Champions League goals, FA Cup Semi-Final goal, etc.) and Smicer (Champions League Final goal) are bound to be included, though.

Liverpool FC Transfer Rumour Mill: Reds bid £20m for Yarmalenko but Milan in hunt too, Sakho snubs Roma for Anfield, Shay Given to sign, Ilori in talks, Alderweireld latest

30 Aug 2013 09:41

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers faces a frantic weekend of transfer business - plus Manchester United clash

Liverpool FC Transfer Rumour Mill: Reds bid £20m for Yarmalenko but Milan in hunt too, Sakho snubs Roma for Anfield, Shay Given to sign, Ilori in talks, Alderweireld latest - Liverpool Echo

Liverpool FC rumour mill - 2013/2014

The latest transfer rumours and gossip involving Liverpool FC

Liverpool likely to face competition from AC Milan for Andriy Yarmolenko despite £20m bid

LIVERPOOL could face competition from AC Milan for the signing of Ukrainian star Andriy Yarmalenko after reportedly lodging a bid of almost £20m for the player.

According to Sky Italia Brendan Rodgers has offered €23m (£19.7m) for Dinamo Kiev's Yarmolenko who Ukrainian national coach Oleg Blohkin has called "unstoppable".

But Milan also have a long-standing interest in the player and hope he can be persuaded to follow a similar path to compatriot Andriy Shevchenko who starred for the Rossoneri after joining from Dynamo Kiev in 1999.

And after qualifying for the group stages of the Champions League, the Italian club could be ready to at least match Liverpool's offer after having a £17m bid turned down recently.

The 23-year-old's agent agent Mikhail Gulordava said: "Milan made a €20m (£17m) bid for Yarmolenko, but the only way to tempt Kiev's president is to make an offer that he can't refuse.

"My client obviously wants to play for a club like Milan. He would like to follow in the footsteps of Shevchenko.

"However, Premier League clubs are also interested."

Liverpool likely to face competition from AC Milan for Andriy Yarmolenko despite £20m bid

According to Sky Italia Brendan Rodgers has offered €23m (£19.7m) for Dinamo Kiev's Yarmolenko who Ukrainian national coach Oleg Blohkin.

Sky Italia journalist and one of the stars of the current transfer window, Gianluca Di Marzio, has Tweeted on Thursday afternoon that Liverpool were close to signing PSG defender Mamadou Sakho and have also made a 23 million euro bid for Dyanmo Kiev forward Andriy Yarmolenko.

Roma made a late move for Sakho but appear to have been rebuffed as the French defender has already agreed personal terms.

The move is thought to be close, according to Sky Italia and Sakho is heading to Anfield in the hope of playing regular first team football to force his way into the France World Cup squad at the end of the season.

Sakho, who holds the record as the youngest ever PSG captain, has struggled for first team opportunities at the Ligue 1 champions due to Brazilians Thiago Silva, Alex and Marquinhos.

Source: Sky Italia

Liverpool close in on Mamadou Sakho & bid €23m for Andriy Yarmolenko [sky Italia]

Thursday, August 29th, 2013 Sky Italia journalist and one of the stars of the current transfer window, Gianluca Di Marzio, has Tweeted on...

TELEGRAPH·2 HOURS AGO

Liverpool are closing in on a surprise deal to make Shay Given their No 2 goalkeeper.

Given had been linked with a move to Doncaster earlier this summer but that switch failed to materialise and he has remained at Aston Villa, even though he has been told by Paul Lambert he has no future at the club.

However, Brendan Rodgers is aiming to bring in experienced back-up for Simon Mignolet, whom he brought into replace Pepe Reina in June, and has identified Given as being an ideal. Should talks go smoothly, a deal could be completed before the weekend.

They have resumed discussions with Sporting Lisbon on Wednesday over a £7million move for Tiago Ilori, who has been on Liverpool's wanted list all summer.

Liverpool close on shock switch for Given (and will move for Sakho if they fail to sign £7m Ilori)

By Simon Jones PUBLISHED: 16:30 EST, 29 August 2013 | UPDATED: 16:30 EST, 29 August 2013

Atletico Madrid are hopeful of completing the signing of Toby Alderweireld before the transfer window closes after the defender indicated he would prefer a move to the Spanish capital over a switch to Liverpool.

Alderweireld has attracted interest from a number of English clubs throughout the summer with Tottenham, Everton and Norwich as well as the Reds monitoring his situation at Ajax.

Liverpool frustrated in Alderweireld chase as £5m defender opts for Atletico Madrid

By John Edwards PUBLISHED: 17:24 EST, 29 August 2013 | UPDATED: 17:24 EST, 29 August 2013 Atletico Madrid are hopeful of completing the s...

DAILYMAIL

THURSDAY AUGUST 29

Liverpool to make offer for £7.5m rated Man City defender Joleon Lescott

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers will look to strengthen his defensive options by looking to lure Man City centre-back Joleon Lescott to Anfield.

The experienced former Everton man is likely to see limited action at the Etihad Stadium under new boss Manuel Pellegrini though the 31 year old has started both Man City’s opening Premier League fixtures he has only done so because young Serbian Matija Nastastic has been ruled out with an ankle injury and with experienced Argentine Martin Demichelis said to be on his way to the Premier League side it would appear to spell the end of the England international’s chances.

Rodgers has seen both Kolo Toure and Sebastian Coates suffer injuries and appears reticent to use Martin Skrtel, who was frozen out of first team action for much of the second half of the 2012/13 campaign, and this source believes £7.5m would be enough to bring in the Birmingham born defender.

Liverpool to Make Offer for £7.5m Rated Man City Defender Joleon Lescott

Anfield side prepare move for experienced Etihad Stadium centre-back. Check in to Transfer Window: Done Deal Alerts Liverpool boss Brenda...

The club have already seen an £8 million offer for the player rejected and they are expected to lodge another offer, possibly before the weekend.

Reports suggest that PSG are holding out for a fee within the region of £12 million, which Liverpool may have to pay in the face of interest from Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and AC Milan.

Another possible defensive option still linked with the club is Barcelona’s Martin Montoya. Napoli have been trying to sign the 22-year-old but have been unsuccessful which means Liverpool still have time to try and do a deal before the close of the transfer window this Monday.

Source: Here Is The City

Edited by WhiskeyJar

Liverpool FC Transfer Rumour Mill: Reds bid £20m for Yarmalenko but Milan in hunt too' date=' Sakho snubs Roma for Anfield, Shay Given to sign, Ilori in talks, Alderweireld latest

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers faces a frantic weekend of transfer business - plus Manchester United clash

Liverpool FC Transfer Rumour Mill: Reds bid £20m for Yarmalenko but Milan in hunt too, Sakho snubs Roma for Anfield, Shay Given to sign, Ilori in talks, Alderweireld latest - Liverpool Echo

Great that sakho is coming here.

And if Milan bids for yarmo, we won't get him. Besides KPB is going to schalke.

Liverpool FC Transfer Rumour Mill: Reds bid £20m for Yarmalenko but Milan in hunt too, Sakho snubs Roma for Anfield, Shay Given to sign, Ilori in talks, Alderweireld latest

The Echo listing rumours with which we're already familiar.

No way to run a business, is it? I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to FSG since the Kenny/Comolli fiasco. If I was Henry I'd be grilling Rodgers and the scouts over every single piece of business.

One player that sticks out as a poster boy of this kind of stupidity is Coates. Didn't anybody who scouted him see that he had no pace, and that he might not be a good fit for the PL? The club should make these scouting reports public.

He knows less than shit about football though????????????

Hi fellas,

Long time lurker but posting for the first time, be gentle.

I've had a bad feeling about these guys for a while now. Everything to me points to the near horizon and a sale of the club and a quick profit. I think these guys have got in and realised there's too much to do and that the FFP is a farce and they cant compete.

You look at the way the club has been run in the last year or so, all the streamlining of the squad, the wage cutting, the lack of transfer spend and more recently coming at the close of the window, turning to more loans rather than buys and it says to me these guys are ready to pull the plug at some point in the next year and a half.

There's been no movement on stadium really, and the option they've taken would buy them the time they needed to make a sale.

Then you look at their recruitment policy. There's lack of leadership at the club, there's no DOF, there's no CEO, there's no one with the nous to run this club, and you ask yourself why? If these guys are smart where's the common sense from a football perspective? As we all know success makes you money in this sport, standing still doesn't.

You look at Rodgers, and to be fair i think the guy has come in and done fantastically with the hand that's been dealt, but even then you ask yourself why him last summer? And the answers clear, he fits in with what FSG are doing, he wont complain at lack of funds, he'll make do with his big opportunity, he'll manage his minor resources well and he'll target youth which is a cheap alternative to buying quality.

A top tier manager just simply wouldn't put up with it. You look at this summer and could you imagine Pellegrini, rafa or anyone else sitting quiet during these last few months whilst we've done nothing but dawdle?

These people are clever from the point of view that they feel they can extract maximum revenue and make a profit on name and brand alone without needing top 4.

Ive got a horrible feeling they may sell Suarez too at the last minute, but that might be born out of fear, we've been burnt so many times in the past.

All i want is a well run club, owners with a passion for taking us places and giving us enough funds to build and compete. I don't see any of this. All i see is owners who are distant and who have become more distant as time as passed, owners that get accused by both sox fans and us as not caring for their respective clubs whilst seemingly sitting on their hands.

To me they are a milder, more savvy Hicks & Gillete operating smoothly to extract as much as they can from the club.

I just hate all the negativity this forum has drowned in

IMO we had a very successful summer, Toure and mignolet were two shrewd pieces of business, and yes reina was shit, goalkeeping was not a secondary concern, it was a primary concern. We've got Aspas who looks very good and alberto who is obviously a player for the near future.

We had a major signing which is keeping luis suarez who could've easily gone anywhere. Keeping him was not an easy task and he will not be here if it was not for the strong and firm position the management took.

We have won almost every game in the preseason, 6 out of 6 pts. in the league, won first round in cup and we r playing the best football I've seen in ages

So I fucking wonder where all this negativity comes from?

It was a good summer and if we signed one or two more players it will be an excellent summer.

There was a "positive" summer transfer thread around but I cannot find it anymore, I guess negativity rules these days

IMO we had a very successful summer, Toure and mignolet were two shrewd pieces of business, and yes reina was shit, goalkeeping was not a secondary concern, it was a primary concern. We've got Aspas who looks very good and alberto who is obviously a player for the near future.

We had a major signing which is keeping luis suarez who could've easily gone anywhere. Keeping him was not an easy task and he will not be here if it was not for the strong and firm position the management took.

We have won almost every game in the preseason, 6 out of 6 pts. in the league, won first round in cup and we r playing the best football I've seen in ages

It was a good summer and if we signed one or two more players it will be an excellent summer.

There was a "positive" summer transfer thread around but I cannot find it anymore, I guess negativity rules these days

Can this squad get fourth? I dont think it can. Apparently theres going to be something released today - an interview with Henry that states he expects top 4.

The manager hasnt had top 4 backing. Thats the bottom line.

Right Christ where to start?

Keeping Luis was a peice of piss mate, just point at his contract and move eyebrows up and then down and smile. Not really a signing on any level in the real world.

A keeper was our priomary task was it? Reina is shit is he?

Not a striker, CB, DM or a left or right winger or AM but goalkeeper was our most pressing priority was it?

2 wins in a row against shite and a win against another shite team is pretty standard, the bare minimum really.

Was you looking for perhaps a Tranmere Rovers forum?

The only reason we kept Suarez is because the owners knew that selling him and replacing him with fuck all, would have really got the fan base irate. Fucking hell - major signings now mean keeping your players. This has become our new reality.

BR has said at least once that he needed to sell in order to buy, so where do you think the money for a Costa or Willian would have ultimately ended up coming from?

We can say all the bollocks we like about the financial state of the club when they bought it, but that purchase alone supposedly wiped the debts (or the large majority of them), and we've reduced the wage bill a lot since then.

There is't really any excuse for us not to have the thick end of £40m net to spend this summer. What have we been signing sponsorship deals for? Where is the TV money going?

Negativity rules because the fucking owners (who still know fuck all about football - after 3 years) have failed to improve a first team which was only good enough to finish 7th last season.

Negativity rules because the owners have the gall to spout shite such as "we expect a top 4 challenge" and "we have the resources to compete with anyone" then follow it up by failing to back the manager.

Negativity rules because we urgently need a centre back and a wide midfielder...but who are we linked with? A goalkeeper....a 37 year old goalkeeper at that....a pointless unnecessary signing should it happen.

Any wonder a lot of us a not happy with a 5-6 million quid profit in the transfer window with owners who talk shite and a MD who's best known for being photographed sitting on Robbie Fowler's shoulders looking pissed up, and posing with Alex Pearce looking pissed up.

Fucking joke.