You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Meanwhile, in the world of meaningful if realistic ambition, Southampton have signed Osvaldo, Wanyama, and Lovren.

Lovren is massively over-rated on here. I have a Croatian mate who cringes every time that guy turns out for Croatia. I think he started off well for Lyon but it's been downhill from there; Osvaldo isn't better than what we have and Wanyama is very much an unknown quantity.

Is it simply about signing players? I mean, these players have to actually improve us and none of those players you mentioned would. In my opinion, obviously.

Well, if you're taking rumours and running with them, why not include links for Sakho and Yarmolenko? Why just go with the players you don't want? We're not going to know until it happens. For me, it could go either way. If we end up with Given and Moses on loan, rather than Sakho and Yarmolenko, then everybody will have reason to be pissed off. If not, all this grandstanding by lots of people on here will have been for nothing.

I`m overall quite satisfied with FSG. But it seems to me (not fact, just my opinion) that Rodgers is not getting full backing in this transfer market. Last summer was a fuckup, and IMO FSG must prove they are backing him, not the other way around.

I would love to be proved wrong and hope that we can put things together, but I think it should be OK to discuss the worst case scenario without you jumping on my back.

Lovren is massively over-rated on here. I have a Croatian mate who cringes every time that guy turns out for Croatia. I think he started off well for Lyon but it's been downhill from there; Osvaldo isn't better than what we have and Wanyama is very much an unknown quantity.

Is it simply about signing players? I mean, these players have to actually improve us and none of those players you mentioned would. In my opinion, obviously.

Osvaldo not better than Borini or Aspas?

Wanyama not better than our non-existent physically imposing midfielder?

In any case, I wasn't arguing about those players per se. I was arguing about ambition, about spending the money to improve your team.

Our team isn't at the level of United's or Arsenal's. It shouldn't be as difficult to improve.

Whilst it is difficult to sign the right players they are out there. We might not be able to sign the best but there are stacks of players out there who would improve us given the chance.

Players at big clubs who are being held back by expensive signings (eg Sakho) or a bit unproven (eg Muriel) or maybe not just fancied (eg Coutinho). These are the players we need to be signing.

Proven top class players will either have too high wage demands or better offers.

I think we have done a good job of clearing the squad of dross, the last thing we need to do is panic and refill the gaps with expensive players who wont improve us.

Whilst it is difficult to sign the right players they are out there. We might not be able to sign the best but there are stacks of players out there who would improve us given the chance.

Players at big clubs who are being held back by expensive signings (eg Sakho) or a bit unproven (eg Muriel) or maybe not just fancied (eg Coutinho). These are the players we need to be signing.

Proven top class players will either have too high wage demands or better offers.

I think we have done a good job of clearing the squad of dross, the last thing we need to do is panic and refill the gaps with expensive players who wont improve us.

Excellent post. I totally agree with this. Save the money until january if we can't get the players we want now. This is what we should have done with the Torres money, rather than throwing them away in panic on Carroll.

The vast majority of supporters I've spoken to are fair minded enough to recognise it was always going to be a difficult summer with regards to securing players who would make a big impact on our first XI. I don't think anyone expected miracles and without Champions League it was always going to be difficult.

However, where do you draw the line? A total lack of re-inforcements, coupled with the sales made and further slashing of the wage bill, a few days before the window shuts and with the season already in full flow. I think the time for being charitable and giving the club the benefit of the doubt has probably passed. A couple of squad fillers over the coming days doesn't cut it. Up until this point I've given FSG the benefit of the doubt but barring a rabbit being pulled from the hat in the coming days I think it's fair for us to really question their motives as owners of the club. This was the summer they said we'd kick on, instead we've stumbled from one transfer saga to the next, embarrassing ourself in the process and failing to secure anyone of note. I hope for their sake they have something in the pipeline or public opinion will really start to turn against them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Ilori's played 12 first team games according to Wikipedia. So, he won't be improving our team any time soon.

I guess we just have to wait for it to play out. Le Parisian is saying we've offered 13m Euros and they'll respond today.

Like with you moaning about Aspas before he'd kicked a ball for us, how do you know?

A summer international U21 tournament is no place to judge anybody's ability.

I think Aspas could be a good signing. I think he'll do well. Me moaning was me agreeing with Rodgers when he said the signings were squad players and they need first 11 quality.

Twitter rumour via Bild in Germany

SPORT BILD ‏@SPORTBILD 11m

Breaking News: Kevin-Prince #Boateng schon zur medizinischen Untersuchung auf Schalke!

Kevin-Prince Boateng having a medical at Schalke. I guess he wasn't happy at AC Milan after all the abuse. Does that mean Schalke is moving on one of their midfielders (Draxler)?