You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

The Yarmalenko talk makes me think its one of two things.

- It's either another one of those mysterious bids that have supposedly happened all year

or

- We've made such a cock up of this window our targets have dwindled a fair bit. If we're really prepared to pay 19 million now surely there were other targets available for that price or less earlier.

Shaktar, Atletico, and Schalke all commented on our supposed offers, formal or otherwise. Commented in the form of a denial.

Yes, as i'd expect them to, but take Mkhitaryan for instance, the denial came before any price point was reached with Dortmund, and there's no indication as to whether at that stage we might have equalled that, which is what some believe happened.

I think we were naive in the extreme, used by agents and generally lead a merry dance. But failing to formalise a bid is not the same as not being interested, which is the theory put forward by some fans.

I think we followed one route with Aspas, Alberto and Mignolet. Making informal contact, finding out a ballpark figure, trying to negotiate a fee without ever putting money on the table, and finally when we bid we struck the deal soon after. It worked for them, but it won't work for top level talent who have multiple suitors.

Bidding up front this time would be a massive step forward for our negotiations, but i'm not getting my hopes up.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

'Tor-Kristian Karlsen: And ultimately, and most importantly; Yarmolenko wouldn't really improve the Liverpool squad. Strange one to me (if confirmed, obviously)'

Alexey Yaroshevsky ‏@YaroLFC 2m

If LFC - hypothetically - get Yarmola for less than €15m, then it would be good business. But Konoplyanka, IMO, is better for the same price

Alexey Yaroshevsky ‏@YaroLFC 2m

If LFC - hypothetically - get Yarmola for less than €15m, then it would be good business. But Konoplyanka, IMO, is better for the same price

He may be right. I haven't seen enough of them to compare. The obvious stat I picked out was goalscoring, in part because Rodgers said some time back, if I recall, that he wanted a left-sided, goalscoring forward.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He may be right. I haven't seen enough of them to compare. The obvious stat I picked out was goalscoring, in part because Rodgers said some time back, if I recall, that he wanted a left-sided, goalscoring forward.

I've no idea either, mate. Only seen videos and the odd match. The difference for me is that the little bit I've seen of both makes Yarmolenko look pretty poor, and Konoplyanka look fucking brilliant. The truth might well be in the middle somewhere.

Konoplyanka vs Yarmolenko

It sounds a bit like Smicer vs Poborsky to me, just filler.

I must admit that Konoplyanka looked great in the Euros but it seems, from his stats, that he's not continued that form in his club career for the last 12 months. A bit like Krasic, looked wonderful for a short period and then bought a huge house and got the internet and now he's happy to tread water.

Could well turn out that in a few years when we look back on this summer it will be seen as the moment when Spurs went above us for good.

It's not just Spurs going above us... Gerrard is probably in his final big season, this is the last transfer window we can force Suarez to stay without his value going down in the following transfer window, this is the summer when TV money doubled and our wage bill has been reduced even further.

So why not invest to a couple, just a couple of really good quality players? No one can explain why, even the most passionate FSG supporters cannot explain this.

So why not invest to a couple, just a couple of really good quality players? No one can explain why, even the most passionate FSG supporters cannot explain this.

It ain't brain science.

They either don't have the money or they have it and don't want to spend it.

That was easy, wasn't it, Quimcat?

It's not just Spurs going above us... Gerrard is probably in his final big season' date=' this is the last transfer window we can force Suarez to stay without his value going down in the following transfer window, this is the summer when TV money doubled and our wage bill has been reduced even further.

So why not invest to a couple, just a couple of really good quality players? No one can explain why, even the most passionate FSG supporters cannot explain this.[/quote']

Who the fuck are the passionate FSG supporters. In fact who are the FSG supporters ? I suppose it's those of us who aren't getting hysterical about things?

Konoplyanka vs Yarmolenko

It sounds a bit like Smicer vs Poborsky to me

When we signed Berger it was a choice between him and Poborsky.

Poborsky had a great Euros in 96. but we bought the better player in Berger.

It's not just Spurs going above us... Gerrard is probably in his final big season, this is the last transfer window we can force Suarez to stay without his value going down in the following transfer window, this is the summer when TV money doubled and our wage bill has been reduced even further.

Spurs have been above us for the last 3 seasons... Which is depressing enough, and i guess you could say we havent done enough so far to get back up amongst the top 4 sides, which would be correct.

I agree it's looking bleak if we dont get two more quality players in. But i'll reserve my judgement until the window is closed. There is a lot that can happen at the end of the window when clubs are forced to show their hands in terms of player valuations and having to balance their books after getting players in but not getting as many out.

If we end the window without getting more players in, i'd feel very disappointed, but i do believe we'll get at least 2 more in. If we dont we better pray that our key players stay fit, which is already a worry with Toure out.

Who ever comes in in reality is going to be 4th choice target if in fact we did bid for the others,that amount of money if spent smacks of a panic buy to appease the fans, its not the player we really want but we better do something ,still don't thing we will sign anybody of real quality

Worth noting that PSV and Lyon went out of the CL last night.

PSV players of note:

Wijnaldum (AM)

Jetro Willems (LB)

Luciano Narsingh (AM) *

Zakaria Bakkali (FW) Only 17

LYON

Clement Grenier (AM)

Yoann Gourcuff (AM)

Alexandre Lacazette (FW)

The Lyon lot are worth us going for, they aren't anything special but Wijnaldum is exactly the player we should be in for, doubt he'd cost anymore than €15m as well.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Worth noting that PSV and Lyon went out of the CL last night.

PSV players of note:

Wijnaldum (AM)

Jetro Willems (LB)

Luciano Narsingh (AM) *

Zakaria Bakkali (FW) Only 17

LYON

Clement Grenier (AM)

Yoann Gourcuff (AM)

Alexandre Lacazette (FW)

Good shout.

Would Scott Sinclair have been THAT bad a signing on loan? We should have signed him on loan and Tom Ince who can be bought for less than 7m.

If we don't get anybody we are fucked.

He wouldn't be my best choice but if anybody knows him it's Rodgers. Apparently he's not interested.