You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Well atleast we can look foward to 75 mill next summer when saurezs supposed new release clause is activated and a bit cash off the owners.It has shocked me what no european football means, carnt get anybody decent in we gunna have to go all out for a cup cause we have no chance of 4th or 5th

This Mata talk confuses me greatly

Can anyone fathom why Chelsea would want rid? He is genuinely a fantastic footballer (is that not a commonly held view?)

We've certainly been turned down by far worse this summer

I can't see any possibility of this happening but would be a hell of a signing if true

For me he's in the top three in the league with Suarez and Van Persie with Bale now gone.

With Mourinho, it could be as petty as not wanting one of Spain's top players to be one of his main men, given that just about every Spanish international at Madrid ended up thinking him snide and toxic.

Well atleast we can look foward to 75 mill next summer when saurezs supposed new release clause is activated and a bit cash off the owners.It has shocked me what no european football means, carnt get anybody decent in we gunna have to go all out for a cup cause we have no chance of 4th or 5th

We should have a damn site more than £75m if we didn't spend any more money this year and sold Suarez next year.

This Mata talk confuses me greatly

Can anyone fathom why Chelsea would want rid? He is genuinely a fantastic footballer (is that not a commonly held view?)

We've certainly been turned down by far worse this summer

I can't see any possibility of this happening but would be a hell of a signing if true

I can not understand it either, but if that is the case, it is obviously Mourinhos wishes. He does seem to prefer other players going from the opening two games, as far as i know he's not been injured or anything either. I guess the game tonight will show what he considers his strongest line up is.

If it is true we have been offered Mata, we should do everything we possibly can to get him, he is exactly the sort of player we have been crying out for, for god knows how long.

With Mourinho, it could be as petty as not wanting one of Spain's top players to be one of his main men, given that just about every Spanish international at Madrid ended up thinking him snide and toxic.

This sounds plausible to me, actually. Couple it with the fact he's rich in midfielders and it sounds like a classic case of freezing a player out.

The rumour from all these supposedly reliable people on twitter is that Chelsea offered us both Moses and Mata on friday, we didn't have an interest in either til this but it has made us think about both and decided they'd do well for us, by the sound of it we know Mata is unlikely but worth a try and Moses is looking likely on loan, if this really is the scenario then I'd hope that should we get Moses and not Mata (likely scenario) we will be using the money we'd be prepared to spend on Mata and someone else

Brilliant scenario. So they offer us Moses or Mata and we go for Moses? Yeah, it makes absolute sense. Who would you rather have FSG? a World Class player on high wages or a shit player on low wages? The shit one obviously.

Brilliant scenario. So they offer us Moses or Mata and we go for Moses? Yeah, it makes absolute sense. Who would you rather have FSG? a World Class player on high wages or a shit player on low wages? The shit one obviously.

erm no, if its all true we have gone for both, it just so happens Mata might not want to join us

I have no idea how reliable these supposed "ITK" people actually are but transfer windows drive you into reading this stuff!

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Brilliant scenario. So they offer us Moses or Mata and we go for Moses? Yeah' date=' it makes absolute sense. Who would you rather have FSG? a World Class player on high wages or a shit player on low wages? The shit one obviously.[/quote']

Yeah, apparently Mata was banging on Rodgers' front door all night, scream 'please let me join' through the letterbox, but John W Henry has nailed the door closed.

I can understand why Mata might not want to come here, but if the choice is automatic first team football, albeit without Europe, it might increase his chance of going to the World Cup. There's a lot of competition in Spain's midfield, too. Sitting on Chelsea' bench for most of the year might not be the way to get in the side.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I can understand why Mata might not want to come here' date=' but if the choice is automatic first team football, albeit without Europe, it might increase his chance of going to the World Cup. There's a lot of competition in Spain's midfield, too. Sitting on Chelsea' bench for most of the year might not be the way to get in the side.[/quote']

There is likely to be a great many options for him. He's pretty special.

I can not understand it either, but if that is the case, it is obviously Mourinhos wishes. He does seem to prefer other players going from the opening two games, as far as i know he's not been injured or anything either. I guess the game tonight will show what he considers his strongest line up is.

If it is true we have been offered Mata, we should do everything we possibly can to get him, he is exactly the sort of player we have been crying out for, for god knows how long.

The thing is, it might be true, but if he's been offered to us, then he's been offered to a lot of other clubs as well, and there will be others ahead of us in the queue. It would be a miracle to get him to sign for us, even without competition, but seeing as United, PSG, Monaco, Juve, probably a Spanish club or two (though they'd struggle to afford him), and maybe Spurs/Arsenal as well would all be interested we'd have to take a number.

No, it's better not to do it to yourself. Don't even think of imagining Mata, Suarez, and Coutinho all interchanging behind Sturridge. It will just be too painful when you open your eyes and come back to reality and we're busy replacing Downing with one of the myriad players of equal averageness, like Moses.

I can understand why Mata might not want to come here, but if the choice is automatic first team football, albeit without Europe, it might increase his chance of going to the World Cup. There's a lot of competition in Spain's midfield, too. Sitting on Chelsea' bench for most of the year might not be the way to get in the side.

the thing swinging it our way may be that Real, Barca, Bayern and PSG already have excellent options in those positions, Dortmund and Juventus don't really tend to make that sort of signing, but you have to imagine that Scum, Arsenal and Tottenham would all be interested too, maybe they wouldn't sell to Scum and to an extent Arsenal because they feel they'll be competing for same positions but I don't see any reason why they'd sell to us and not Tottenham (apart from maybe London rivalry) and those bastards seem to be doing better enticing players than us at the minute.

If we did somehow manage to pull it off top 4 would be nailed on imo but I can't see it at all.

The thing is, it might be true, but if he's been offered to us, then he's been offered to a lot of other clubs as well, and there will be others ahead of us in the queue. It would be a miracle to get him to sign for us, even without competition, but seeing as United, PSG, Monaco, Juve, probably a Spanish club or two (though they'd struggle to afford him), and maybe Spurs/Arsenal as well would all be interested we'd have to take a number.

No, it's better not to do it to yourself. Don't even think of imagining Mata, Suarez, and Coutinho all interchanging behind Sturridge. It will just be too painful when you open your eyes and come back to reality and we're busy replacing Downing with one of the myriad players of equal averageness, like Moses.

I agree it's unlikely and i would not get my hopes up.

But from Chelsea's perspective i guess they would rather sell to us than Utd (unless a swap for Rooney), Arsenal, City or Tottenham, cause frankly we are and have been less of a threat over the last few years.

but I don't see any reason why they'd sell to us and not Tottenham (apart from maybe London rivalry)

I'm almost ashamed to say this but one reason is that Chelsea don't see us as any kind of threat to them, at all. Spurs, on the other hand...

If Mata came to us on loan he'd make a difference in our games against Chelsea's direct rivals, one of which might be Spurs after they sign Lamela.

It does'unt matter how you dress it up. Theres a few days left of the transfer window and we have not improved the first team squad at all and we've spent zero if you take into account sales. Even teams like Swansea have spent around 25m. FSG should be investing 30-40m at least if they want to get champions league. I know we've been in for players and missed out, but it reeks of bad organisation and planning.

If a player we want isn't available, and we don't have the kind of money to make him available, how can signing a talented player on loan be anything but a good move?

I'd rather that than sign a player who was a few levels below what we wanted on a permanent basis and add additional complexity to future signings.