You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Perhaps Rodgers knows FSG aren't going to sanction any big money signings so is trying to get Moses for squad depth. Its the only thing that makes sense.

They were willing to splash thirty million on Willian and had agreed wages, so money is there.

Definitely underrating Moses a bit one the board generally but it'd definitely be a bit shite if he were the main attacking signing. He's a good player though who I think would do well here

Agree with this. Our squad could do with a bit more depth and he'd be a good signing for that purpose.

For me, it's just another Downing type signing. Fortunately, he's not going to cost 20m this time.

Yep, that's exactly what it is. An upgrade on what we have but, so minor, even the word 'upgrade' is embarrassed to be associated with it.

It will free up Coutinho to move more central but it won't help us in our quest for CL football. FSG have got to back Rodgers this week.

I've seen little of Moses as I'd seen little of Sturridge but my initial reaction to the Sturridge link was 'no thanks' because my impression of Sturridge was he wasn't that skilful but I was 100% wrong. My reaction to the Moses is the same 'no thanks' so hopefully Moses goes on to prove me wrong again. But honestly without meaning to sound spoilt I really wish we'd aim a little higher.

I remember having similar arguments on here when we signed downing funnily enough. He wasn't good enough then, but was being held up as "must be better than we have, he's player of the year at villa". And my view then was ok if it's a squad filler, but we're screwed if he's our top attacking signing and he was.

Seen plenty of both players to assess there's no discernible difference in quality. Rodgers has said we've done out squad filling and we're supposed to be trying to improve our first XI. Moses just won't do that.

Oh an btw, he's not English.[/quote

Oh an btw, where in my post did I say he was English?

I seem to remember that logic being used with Downing and Carroll.

But he is not 28 or will cost five to ten times his actual value, so you can't really compare these can you? But to suggest he is much worse than your Yarmolenkos etc who are totally unproven in England is ridiculous. It is always a gamble when you get a player in, but the stakes are much lower in a loan deal for a 22 year old (hopefully with a fixed transfer fee) than 35m upfront for a carthorse.

Decent player, but I feel Sterling and Ibe have more potential as wide players, and Sturridge is a better if played our wide in any case.

He is a big strong guy, with quite a bit of pace, could he play as a striker? I feel we're a bit short on that position...

Ibe needs to be brought on gradually or we coukd end up with him holding us to ransom lije sterling did for a new contract.

Sterling could end up in jail soon and will probably be distracted at the very least by all the court action.

Moses can do a job on the right for us. He has plenty of premiership experience. Hes obviously good defensively as rafa played him a lot in the kuyt role and he can get goals.

I am unsure either way but to say we should aim higher kind of ignores the fact that we have. Getting players that have been snapped up by top teams but 'it hasn't worked out' seems to be our best bet at the moment.

Also Rodgers will have contacts at Stamford Bridge and possibly Wigan, indirectly due to a lot of business taking place between them and Swansea. He may have asked Martinez for his opinion on the player. And besides, a loan deal is fairly risk free.

But he is not 28 or will cost five to ten times his actual value, so you can't really compare these can you? But to suggest he is much worse than your Yarmolenkos etc who are totally unproven in England is ridiculous. It is always a gamble when you get a player in, but the stakes are much lower in a loan deal for a 22 year old (hopefully with a fixed transfer fee) than 35m upfront for a carthorse.

No mate your logic was that if the player had a foreign sounding name people would be more appreciative.

Thats certainly not the case as a lot were questioning the Luis Alberto signing.

The problem is that we have enough potential in our team, Sterling, Ibe, Alberto etc. We need someone for the here and now.

Loan deal for a 22 year old = 20m + 80kpw for a 27 year old? It is the opposite of a Downing type signing for me.

In terms of quality it's not. Doesn't matter how much a player costs if they're good and they'll contribute and the costs can be justified. If we sign Moses for free on £5k a week and he performs for the next 2 years like downing has done, we're screwed as it will indicate we are still a mid table team.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Loan deal for a 22 year old = 20m + 80kpw for a 27 year old? It is the opposite of a Downing type signing for me.

As in my post, I'm saying the financials of the deal are different. The level of signings - mid-table starting quality - is the same.

Moses is a cunt of a signing. Totally unnecessary. When the club have been piping on for the past 2months about adding proven quality to improve the first 11, Victor Moses doesnt fit the bill. We need a Suarez, a Coutinho, not another squad filler. I'd rather go with what we have, put faith in Sterling and Ibe than sign a lad who represents a minor upgrade on Downing. If that's the best we can muster then it's been a fine summer of cost cutting for FSG.