You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

The thing is we have to balance our budget without getting CL football, and doing that obviously makes it a hell of a lot harder to get there. I for one wouldnt want to see us go back to the brink of financial melt down. Which is what can happen if we consistently overpay for players and bank on it getting us CL football and we end up falling short. Now im sure we could afford to overpay for players a couple of times, it's not like we havent done it in the past. But long term it surely has to be better to follow a strategy that is financially sustainable and still have us competing for a top four finish, if that's what we end up doing.

Spending a bit extra on players wont make us bust and didn't in the past it was the 40 million interest per year by the end G&H racked up let's not use that as an excuse. I agree every manager has a budget of what he can but at a time of record tv money we would not end up near financial meltdown and I hate seeing when people suggest it. Henry alluded to it in his shitty open letter last summer.

From Swissramble in 2010.

You don’t have to look too far for the main reason for the record loss: almost all of it is down to the huge interest payments on the loans that the Americans took out to buy the club, which has gone up 10% from £36.5m to £40.1m. Before the current ownership regime arrived, Liverpool never paid more than £3m interest in a year, as they had no need of substantial bank loans.

Even if Fsg had stumped up the extrs cash for Willian, I doubt it would have made a difference because he'd have gone Chelsea anyway. He comes across as a money grabbing cunt anyway, he would have shit on us at some point.

I agree with you with regards to Chelsea. I don't think its the player though who is the money grabber. He is controlled by Kia Joorabchian and his agent has played a blinder in all of this. Its just unfortunate we are the club who have been made to look fucking stupid.

Its a bigger payout for Joorabchian, more wages for Willian and Champions league football.

We were never getting Willian, just like Costa.

Unless we pull a blinder and get someone under the radar of the hyena's before the window shuts I am afraid this will be a regular occurrence until we break into the top 4 through sheer hard work.

I think FSG need to maybe go that little further to get 'the' player we need but at the same time I think they are starting to learn when they are being played by an agent.

If we dont get a decent signing by the end of the window it will just be like last season. I think we will still bring an attacking player in. However, it looks like it will be the third player on their list.

Its crunch time !!

I remember, waaaaaay back, having this awful premonition of disaster and misery when it was announced that Chelsea had just bought Shevchenko for £30.6m in 2006. It seemed like Chelsea, after just winning the league with 91 points, would batter everyone and everything in sight.

By season end Shevchenko scored 4 league goals and United won the league with 86 points.

We have a very, very good squad. We also have the third best player in the world, the other two above him play for Madrid and Barcelona. He's that good, and he plays for us. If the supporters get their head on right, stop complaining and get behind this very talented squad, then we can achieve anything we want this season. If you'd rather moan and cry about a player, who you've never seen do anything of note in his career, go to Spurs or Chelsea then I feel sorry for you. Money cant buy you love! I love this set of lads, and I think they've earned it in the last 6 months, and the new lads have made a great start, Kolo is a legend of potential Hyppia greatness.

For christs sake give your face a wipe and support these lads in getting to 4th. Then, if we get CL, you can have your fancy-arse £30m step-over machine from South America. But we won't be getting one until you pull your fingers out and pyro party these lads to 4th.

1 down, 37 to go, it's a potential 114 point season!

Reading these comments you get the impression that all you need to do is sign expensive players and let them run out on the pitch. Whether or not we are as good on paper as Arsenal or Spurs, or any of the top 3, we still have enough good players to make a run for 4th place.

Starting with Villa, who we outclass on paper. Rodgers has what we has, it's the job of the manager to get the most out of the players he has, not piss and moan about how if only we got so and so.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'd pay to see you pulled apart by shire horses.

That's a beauty. I'll be passing that one off as my own before too long.

The latest player we have been linked to is Adem Ljajic. He's in the last year of his contract and he appears to be a quality player now but potentially a great one.

Obligatory youtube with shite music. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_DajhQjU_A

Looks reasonable

But as ever with a YouTube video??

How great would Sterling & Ibe look with their own videos on there (complete with shite music gangster style I guess!) & what price would that make them look worth?

Real Madrid are contemplating a move for Luis Suárez – but only if Arsenal target Karim Benzema leaves the club.

Brendan Rodgers said on Thursday that Liverpool were preparing themselves for a bid from Madrid for Suárez, in what was interpreted in Spain as potentially an invitation for Madrid to make an offer, despite his claim that the Uruguayan is still not for sale.

WTF?

Muriel looks amazing. I don't understand how nobody has bid for him yet. If we took a gamble on him and he cost 35mil or something it could be the best thing we did since we signed Luis. He could triple in value if Bale is "worth" 90mil already.

But of course, we can probably look forward to wondering how daft the scouts, owners, etc, are in a couple of years time as he becomes one of the best players around instead.

Isn't finding the best younger players supposed to be our thing? I'm sure we're watching him, but why haven't we bid? This window and maybe january is probably the last chance we have before he turns into a player that we have no chance of bidding for.