You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

I've not watched them extensively, but isn't konop considerably quicker? I wouldn't mind a bit more pace up front/ on the wings...

Yeah, he's lightening. Yarmolenko is still pretty quick.

They're both shit.

Especially Yarmolenko. Awful player.

Oh, you.

They're both shit.

Especially Yarmolenko. Awful player.

agreed. he's a taller version of downing.

since we are missing out on expensive signings maybe we should make an offer for Victor Moses at Chelsea. Good player, can also improve and well down the chelsea pecking order. De Bruyne would also be worth a punt but he seems to be in favour. Maybe we should show some bollocks and offer £35m for Mata

If I were fond of a conspiracy, I'd suggest, as others have, that our budget was spent in January. A "buy now pay later" kind of a deal. I think Rogers is still trying to slash cash from the budget through wages & agent fees and whatnot, but still trying to save face by slipping journo's stories of who we're confident of signing.

If I were James Pearce or Tony Barrett, I'd be pretty pissed that I was putting my neck out with stories of deals that are imminent, just to look like a tool when they fall through. Someone at the club is leaking these stories.

So, come 2nd of Sept, we have spent next to nothing and have a few hard luck stories in our back pocket as we wave goodbye to 4th (5th? 6th?) place and we're reminded, ad nauseum of the "project", Borini & Suarez being like new signings, Gerrard being "the most important signing of the summer" and then bury the bad news with snazzy drawings of a 3 tier Annie rd.

If I were fond of a conspiracy...

Hughes is going to be a little bit ace from what I've seen of him, I hope if we're agreeing a deal for him to come next season then we aren't using this years budget for him given we still have improvements to make for this season

assuming its all true of course

Hughes is going to be a little bit ace from what I've seen of him, I hope if we're agreeing a deal for him to come next season then we aren't using this years budget for him given we still have improvements to make for this season

assuming its all true of course

Yeah I doubt anyone would have a problem with the deal in isolation.

But if it eats into 20/30 million we could do with spending right now it seems foolish.

People will say its all about the long game etc... But I'd rather get our house in order for the season ahead then think about deals like this.

Seems we are "on the verge" of spending £10 million on Will Hughes of Derby County.

Liverpool on the verge of securing £10m Derby midfielder Will Hughes - Transfers - Football - The Independent

FSG willing to loosen the purse strings on young potential, but not so keen when it comes to improving our first team.

Starting to get a little bit pissed off with this transfer policy to be honest because without real time ambition to compete we'll just end up as a money spinning battery farm for when this 'young potential' comes of age and fucks off because they want to to be playing in the Champions League.

...or maybe that's just the perfect execution of the FSG business plan?

But is he going to improve the current first team' date=' become an immediate regular and help us climb above Spurs and Arsenal THIS season?

Doubt it.[/quote']

No i agree totally, we need to be bringing in a lot more pedigree players, Just think this lad is very good from what ive seen.

Yeah I doubt anyone would have a problem with the deal in isolation.

But if it eats into 20/30 million we could do with spending right now it seems foolish.

People will say its all about the long game etc... But I'd rather get our house in order for the season ahead then think about deals like this.

So you'd rather prioritise the short-term over the long-term, then. Fair enough. I disagree.

If the pursuit of Hughes is genuine, then for me it shows us one thing: FSG are basically conceding fourth this season. And I have no problem with that, at least not with the caveat that we're after something bigger over the longer term.

Arsenal will spend money on someone, eventually, but still, Spurs have spent so well that they're practically certs for the CL spot Arsenal gives up if indeed they do fall back. Even if we pick up Pjanic or someone like that at this point, we have what? a 10-20% chance of fourth?

I think the owners/Rodgers have seen that, analysed it, and decided to go a different direction. I think we're after a bigger target, the league title, rather than being content to cement a 3rd/4th spot year after year like Arsenal. And if we want to win the league, with our level of financing, we've got to play the long game, because we're not going to get anywhere near it in the next two years.

Hence Hughes. Hughes (assuming we get him), Sterling, Ibe, Rossiter, Alberto, Sinclair, Canos, Suso, Chirivella ... the list of top, top young, technical attacking players at this club is a long one. And we've spent a LOT of money on them, especially for a club in our financial position.

So maybe that's the thinking here. We'll take our chances at CL this season, accepting that it's a bit of a long shot. If it comes off, great, then we accelerate the plan a bit. If it doesn't, next summer we'll have the Suarez money and be coming into a season where some of those players are starting to reach first-team level. We look even better 4-5 years from now when some (not all, of course; that's the nature of the beast where youth players are concerned) of them are coming into their primes.

The disadvantage is, of course, if you have players like Suarez who are going to agitate for a move in the meantime, so I think the club will be locking these players down to long-term contracts and making sure we profit from them if they want to go. Spurs have shown us the perfect blueprint for the long-game, and now it's our turn to go and set something like that up, only better because we have the advantage of being a bigger club.

Seems we are "on the verge" of spending £10 million on Will Hughes of Derby County.

Liverpool on the verge of securing £10m Derby midfielder Will Hughes - Transfers - Football - The Independent

FSG willing to loosen the purse strings on young potential, but not so keen when it comes to improving our first team.

Gee, that is great news. This kid is going to be fucking good.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It looks like we're in for Will Hughes from Derby. I've not seen him play for Derby (I saw him in some U21 international), but he needs to get on the weights by the look of him. I'm actually interested in what Rodgers can do with the young lads.

I know some have questions about him as a manager - I don't, I think he's ace - but surely there can be no question about his ability as a coach. He had a brilliant reputation as a coach, so if he can add to the likes of Hughes' and Luis Alberto's natural ability then it might prove smart down the line.

I just hope it doesn't impact on our ability to improve the first team for now. £10m seems a lot for a young lad. Is he 'that' good - talking Bale/Walcott at 18 good - we just have to get him, or is it English tax?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Never seen him play myself, but it looks like he follows edl and tommy Robinson on twitter.

In the words of the Virgin Mary, come again?