You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Willian is not worth £35m. He has done nothing in a shit Ukrainian and Russian league to suggest to me that he is worth anywhere near that. There is no guarantee that he will be the dogs bollocks in our league so Im glad we didnt overspend on him....yet. we might still get him, and if he goes to that fucking shit club then im sure we will have another player lined up.

Im happy with the squad we have now as long as suarez stays. If we improve on that, great. There is still 2 weeks left in the window. Relax

Willian is not worth £35m. He has done nothing in a shit Ukrainian and Russian league to suggest to me that he is worth anywhere near that. There is no guarantee that he will be the dogs bollocks in our league so Im glad we didnt overspend on him....yet. we might still get him, and if he goes to that fucking shit club then im sure we will have another player lined up.

Im happy with the squad we have now as long as suarez stays. If we improve on that, great. There is still 2 weeks left in the window. Relax

But we must buy him because he is Brazilian and has a cool name and we can spend 35m on him, keep up mate.

To be honest I was looking forward to him signing and then people immeduately saying it's only because Suarezwill go on deadline day.

I'm firmly in the wait and see camp before get my knickers in a twist. People should just fuck off and varnish something till after deadline day. It's relaxing and you can never have enough coats. If it moves, varnish it

Yeah imagine the worst case scenario, ever, see its not so bad now is it?

Likewise we can happily get relegated and we would still be smitten since H and G nearly took us under, right?

It's not the worst case scenario, ever, Dennis. It's quite straightforward and commonplace, Arsenal fans are griping about not being able to get players in, and their North London rivals have just spent a lot of money on 'top geezers' with exotic names, so they must be a lot, lot more upset than we are. Arsenal even have the CL, yet still Spurs win! Or do they...

No sign of Arsenal, or any top club in Europe, willing to take on Willian, Soldado, Paulinho or Lamela for the price Spurs are paying.

I'm not sure why you, or any other reds are panicking. It's Spurs and Levy who are panicking with AvB given the mandate of 'CL or bust', and to help him along they're going to sell his best player, perhaps the 4th best player in the World, and he has to use ALL of that money now because the only way this can possibly work is if they make the CL next season. It's really desperate from Spurs and AvB, it's buy anything that moves, in mid August, for whatever price it takes.

I wonder what Aspas might have cost had we left it until now. We might not have got him, blown away by a £17m bid from Spurs, whereas we nabbed him for half that because we're not fucking idiots and got a lot of business done early, and didn't mess around. Spurs have been reactive, this isn't healthy at all, it could get very nasty.

By all accounts, Paulinho could turn out to be Kleberson, and Willian could be even worse.

You cannot get away from the facts of the matter, and that is that Spurs have sold an extraordinary player, and are trying to replace him within the space of a week. How unlikely is that? That Willian and Lamela are going to be anywhere near good enough to bridge that gap? We're talking 30 goals, 23 being what Bale scored and another 7 goals to perhaps make that push to 4th place.

Because 'replacing' Bale isn't enough for CL football. It wasn;t good enough last year, it won't be good enough this year. No, they need to be better than they were last year.

If I was a mid table or lower table manager then I'd be telling them to get stuck into Spurs and see what happens. Bale used to run through players, just a beast. Now Spurs have even got rid of Parker as well, there isn't a lot of physicality in the centre of the pitch. Just get into Willian and Lamela and Paulinho and show them what it's all about in this league, see what happens.

Come on, it's more fun and optimistic when you use your brain to analyse what's happening.

Would you rather be keeping Suarez or selling him and trying to spend it all NOW, after all the best players have moved on?

Yeah it'd be terrible being an Arsenal fan right now. Who wants a top four team that hasn't weakened with a champions league qualifier to look forward too? Bring on Notts County!

What's this shit about Brendan being quoted on having to sell to buy? There wouldn't need to be any truth in that or else questions about where all the clubs money has gone need asking.

It's not the worst case scenario, ever, Dennis. It's quite straightforward and commonplace, Arsenal fans are griping about not being able to get players in, and their North London rivals have just spent a lot of money on 'top geezers' with exotic names, so they must be a lot, lot more upset than we are. Arsenal even have the CL, yet still Spurs win! Or do they...

No sign of Arsenal, or any top club in Europe, willing to take on Willian, Soldado, Paulinho or Lamela for the price Spurs are paying.

I'm not sure why you, or any other reds are panicking. It's Spurs and Levy who are panicking with AvB given the mandate of 'CL or bust', and to help him along they're going to sell his best player, perhaps the 4th best player in the World, and he has to use ALL of that money now because the only way this can possibly work is if they make the CL next season. It's really desperate from Spurs and AvB, it's buy anything that moves, in mid August, for whatever price it takes.

I wonder what Aspas might have cost had we left it until now. We might not have got him, blown away by a £17m bid from Spurs, whereas we nabbed him for half that because we're not fucking idiots and got a lot of business done early, and didn't mess around. Spurs have been reactive, this isn't healthy at all, it could get very nasty.

By all accounts, Paulinho could turn out to be Kleberson, and Willian could be even worse.

You cannot get away from the facts of the matter, and that is that Spurs have sold an extraordinary player, and are trying to replace him within the space of a week. How unlikely is that? That Willian and Lamela are going to be anywhere near good enough to bridge that gap? We're talking 30 goals, 23 being what Bale scored and another 7 goals to perhaps make that push to 4th place.

Because 'replacing' Bale isn't enough for CL football. It wasn;t good enough last year, it won't be good enough this year. No, they need to be better than they were last year.

If I was a mid table or lower table manager then I'd be telling them to get stuck into Spurs and see what happens. Bale used to run through players, just a beast. Now Spurs have even got rid of Parker as well, there isn't a lot of physicality in the centre of the pitch. Just get into Willian and Lamela and Paulinho and show them what it's all about in this league, see what happens.

Come on, it's more fun and optimistic when you use your brain to analyse what's happening.

Would you rather be keeping Suarez or selling him and trying to spend it all NOW, after all the best players have moved on?

Im not panicking, that would suggest my hopes had reached the stratosphere along with most the others, it hasnt. I never had hope in the first place.

You should pay attention to reality. The reality is, even Arsenal, will finish above us, even if they finish 5th it will still be above us, they have stood still but were miles ahead of us anyway, whereas we have improved marginally but will still have a real battle on to finish above Everton.

Spurs are also, miles ahead of us, even without Bale.

I dont understand why you close your eyes and wish to diminish their work in the transfer market but big anything we do up. Who is to say Aspas or the other one arent the next Kleberson? You undermine yourself by being so one eyed to put off the most fanatical liverpool fan, all the closing your eyes in the world and chanting 'but bale' wont suffice to get us in the top 4. Much like our transfer policy.

We have been out of the top 4 for many moons now, Arsenal and Spurs both compete for it consistently, over the course of a season and have proven managers. We have very little to answer against that and have not shown enough of a fist of it either last season or in this transfer window.

We could not even raise ourselves to beat Everton in a last throw of the dice at European football (Brendan's 'we are not interested in the Europa league' statement ringing in their ears.) last season and any other time the most miserly of pressure was on the team we consistently, throughout failed to muster anything and you shaking your fist in comical fashion at better teams will not assist in this prospecct, which will first of all require several large doses of reality to even truly assess.

The likes of which I have not witnessed in FSG's time here as they continue to experiment with their franchise.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
But we signed 5 players.

We have and I'm actually pretty happy with all of them. The overall quality of the squad has gone up, I'd say. Not massively, but I think it has improved. The issue is that we're around level on net spend when you consider agent fees and payoffs. We need to invest in more outfield first team quality.

We've got a couple of weeks to do it. I hope to fuck we sort something out, because I was pretty positive about our chances until today. It's gone from Spurs losing Bale and having an okay squad and us keeping Suarez and signing Willian, to them signing Willian and Lamela. Which is cockery.

Realistically though, who else are we likely to sign?

If it's some unknown then there'll be a meltdown. Someone well known and we pay over the odds. Catch 22.

I'm really happy with this transfer window purely because of who we've sold and I'd call it a minor success based on that.

What's this shit about Brendan being quoted on having to sell to buy? There wouldn't need to be any truth in that or else questions about where all the clubs money has gone need asking.

Here towards the bottom of the article.

Liverpool hoping Luis Suárez can yet form a formidable front pairing with matchwinner Daniel Sturridge - Telegraph

"We are having to sell players to gain money to get players in and we are trying to balance all of that while trying to progress. I just felt in the changing room beforehand that there was a different feeling this year with more camaraderie, spirit and togetherness."

with our current squad theres no way we will finish in the top 6.Chelsea, Man U and City look like finishing in the top 3 and with spurs signing's they will definitely make a run for the top 4.

I dont like to be pessimistic but an injury to sturridge and saurez we will struggle with goals. We have bought players who cost less than 10 million who the owners or manager thinks that they will be worth 50m each in the next three years.

I believe we are done with our transfers.

with our current squad theres no way we will finish in the top 6.Chelsea, Man U and City look like finishing in the top 3 and with spurs signing's they will definitely make a run for the top 4.

I dont like to be pessimistic but an injury to sturridge and saurez we will struggle with goals. We have bought players who cost less than 10 million who the owners or manager thinks that they will be worth 50m each in the next three years.

I believe we are done with our transfers.

Christ i can't be arsed with this place anymore. look at this pant shitting moron. Look at that fucking statement.

Cheers. He could well be on about the players already shipped out. Although his tune is starting to change. Wasn't that long ago he was calling our signings so far squad players, and talking about bringing quality in.