You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

As much as I hate to piss on the gloomfest fireworks, I feel it is only right to point out that, in the past 2 years, without CL football, we have signed Suarez, Coutinho, Sturridge, and Mignolet, and managed to keep hold of Gerrard, Agger and Johnson.

How do Spurs do it? The same way that we do. There are actually very few teams that can both afford the salaries these players want and offer a near cast iron guarantee of CL football. Supply outstrips demand.

Once you realize that, and you refuse to negotiate as though it is the other way around, you can get good value.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You don't know this. No-one does.

Ffs' date=' Jair. It's indicative of the impact he had on spurs and his importantance to the team. Not how both teams would have faired with ten players. Your posts are getting shorter and more curt by the day.

With or without Bale they've improved. Bought excellently.

With him, they'll almost certainly have improved. Without him, they'll have improved in some areas but they'll have lost the world's most expensive player and one who was vitally important to them. We would only know how much they've improved, if at all, during the season.

Bale is a known entity in the league. Soldado, Capoue and co aren't.

Soldado isn't a guaranteed success! He is 28, and spent all of his previous career playing in Spain. Personally I don't think they have a striker that even approaches the level of Sturridge and Suarez.

I notice everyone is ignoring the fact that Spurs sold both Berbatov and Modric in building this side. Because as we all know good sides don't sell their best players!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Soldado is far more proven than Sturridge over his career.

Sturridge is 23. At 23 Soldado was sold by Real after failing to do anything and shifted out to Gatafe where he scored 13 goals the entire season. I'd agree that Soldado is more proven, but he's not proven in the Premier League. Having 5 years on Sturridge, he damned well should be more proven for £30m.

I really like Soldado, I think he's quality. Morientes was quality, too. He could hit the ground running and he could struggle. I'd gamble on the former, I'm hoping for the latter.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Neither is Sturridge guaranteed to be a success next season. I think he will but nothing is guaranteed.

Having a good strike rate his entire career in this league, with a quality goals per minute ratio, and a good start to his LFC career, I'd say it's a safer bet than somebody coming to a new league.

Some players handle it with no problems, some can't adjust. Sturridge doesn't need to adjust. I think Soldado will be quality. I think Sturridge has it in him to be a goal machine.

Soldado isn't a guaranteed success! He is 28, and spent all of his previous career playing in Spain. Personally I don't think they have a striker that even approaches the level of Sturridge and Suarez.

I notice everyone is ignoring the fact that Spurs sold both Berbatov and Modric in building this side. Because as we all know good sides don't sell their best players!

Soldado in his first game for spurs looked a very good striker, i think he'll score the goals they've been lacking.

I'd prefer Sturridge any day of the week, he's just explosive.

Soldado will probably score a few goals, probably on pen duty as well, but Spurs are going to have to reinvent themselves without Bale.

I'm also of the opinion that the PL is stronger than La Liga now, I mean, we are a club outside of the top four in this division, what is our equivalent in Spain, Getafe?

Sure, the top 3 in Spain are great teams, but the rest are slipping away at a rate of knots, whereas there is a very strong group of clubs in this division like us, Everton, Newcastle, Swansea, Norwich, Fulham, Southampton, these can beat any of the top clubs on any given day. There isn't that same strength in mid table clubs in Spain, one needs only to look at the, quite frankly, ridiculous number of goals scored by Ronaldo and Messi each season.

So, for me, it's a big step up for Soldado and the jury is out on a 28 year old coming into this division to hit the ground running. That said, Michu made it look easy.

I can imagine Sturridge ripping defences to pieces in La Liga.

I couldn't imagine Sturridge ripping up La Liga.Where were Blbao in La liga when they embarrassed Utd in the UEFA cup last year? Utd finished 2nd to City, Bilbao finished 10th. Using the amount of goals Messi & Ronaldo score to back up your arguement is a bit unfair. They are the 2 best players on the World by a fuckin mile. Ronaldo scored around 40 here as well didn't he?

Soldado will probably score a few goals, probably on pen duty as well, but Spurs are going to have to reinvent themselves without Bale.

I'm also of the opinion that the PL is stronger than La Liga now, I mean, we are a club outside of the top four in this division, what is our equivalent in Spain, Getafe?

Sure, the top 3 in Spain are great teams, but the rest are slipping away at a rate of knots, whereas there is a very strong group of clubs in this division like us, Everton, Newcastle, Swansea, Norwich, Fulham, Southampton, these can beat any of the top clubs on any given day. There isn't that same strength in mid table clubs in Spain, one needs only to look at the, quite frankly, ridiculous number of goals scored by Ronaldo and Messi each season.

So, for me, it's a big step up for Soldado and the jury is out on a 28 year old coming into this division to hit the ground running. That said, Michu made it look easy.

I couldn't imagine Sturridge ripping up La Liga.Where were Blbao in La liga when they embarrassed Utd in the UEFA cup last year? Utd finished 2nd to City, Bilbao finished 10th. Using the amount of goals Messi & Ronaldo score to back up your arguement is a bit unfair. They are the 2 best players on the World by a fuckin mile. Ronaldo scored around 40 here as well didn't he? Spain's top 10 pisses all over ours in my IMO.

True dat.

The fact Soldado gave up Champions League football and playing for a top team in Spain speaks volumes about how the league is starting to suffer. The league have cottoned onto it by requesting a meeting with the big 2 about how the TV money is split, but i cant see too much changing really, those 2 will again finish 10-20 points infront of Athletico, who will inturn finish 10 points clear of the rest. It really is just a glamorous SPL.

There has never been any question of Sturridge's ability, but there is a question mark about his desire and application at City and Chelsea.

Is he really top Four stuff or is he a Bolton/ Blackburn quality man, we will see this full season.

Edited by xerxes

There has never been na question of Sturridge's ability, but there is a question mark about his desire and application at City and Chelsea.

Is he really top Four stuff or is he a Bolton/ Blackburn quality man, we will see this full season.

City?

He hardly played for them, and left for the champions who were spending a shit load on strikers, I would argue that move renders any questions about his desire moot.

Ffs, Jair. It's indicative of the impact he had on spurs and his importantance to the team. Not how both teams would have faired with ten players. Your posts are getting shorter and more curt by the day.

With him, they'll almost certainly have improved. Without him, they'll have improved in some areas but they'll have lost the world's most expensive player and one who was vitally important to them. We would only know how much they've improved, if at all, during the season.

Bale is a known entity in the league. Soldado, Capoue and co aren't.

You made a point which had no basis in reality, it didn't really deserve a longer reply. Its the sort of stat Code would use, and you'd, rightly, hammer him for it.

Messi is an unknown entity as well. Soldado will rip the Premier League to shreds. As he would in Italy, or Germany, or Neptune.

Sorry, I really can't be fucked to write long posts. I spend most of my day writing, this place is a release.