You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Guest Numero Veinticinco
All very true, but then the second part is reinvesting that money saved in top quality players who are worth it and will win you honours.

Until the latter happens (and it certainly hasn't happened in this window thus far), then it means little really. Its similar to sacking a manager. Its only the right thing to do if his replacement is any better.

I think we've started bringing in players who are better than the ones before. I think the team is improving, but essentially you're right on the money. The second part is about reinvesting.

I find it astounding that we've not really signed anybody who has seriously improved last year's first team yet. I mean you could argue the case for Mignolet but even that is debatable.

I think Toure is currently better than Carra was, I think Aspas will really add something from the bench, Luis Alberto looks a really good prospect and an improvement on Shelvey, and I think Mignolet is an improvement.

Just over two weeks until the start of the season. Not filled with confidence, if i'm honest.

Well, we've got about a month of the window left. All we can do is wait to see what happens. If we get in Papadopolous and Eriksen, or the equivalent in quality, along with keeping grumpy bollocks, then I'll think this window has been really good. However, if we sell Suarez and can't bring anybody in, it's going to be murder. At the moment, it could go either way.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We are sinking like a stone because of what's on the pitch get that right and it's full steam ahead.

Yeah, the team was a shambles and has been a shambles for a number of seasons. Surely you can't deny the squad is improving. Going into this season we're in a much better place than we've been for quite a while. Unless you've got a 100m to drop this season, there's no magic wand.

He seemed to earn them a lot of points, and places in the league. If Suarez wasn't in our team, we'd still have finished 7th. I wonder what percentage of our goals Suarez scored after Coutinho and Sturridge started playing for us.

Point: Take Bale out of Spurs; take Suarez out of Liverpool, which team is worse off, based on last season points total and form?

I think we've started bringing in players who are better than the ones before. I think the team is improving, but essentially you're right on the money. The second part is about reinvesting.

I instinctively said 'who' in response to that first line but read on...

I think Toure is currently better than Carra was, I think Aspas will really add something from the bench, Luis Alberto looks a really good prospect and an improvement on Shelvey, and I think Mignolet is an improvement.

I like Toure but I don't see him as better than Carra, so I guess we disagree there. Similarly good perhaps, but not better.

How you or anybody can say with confidence (or any veracity, for that matter) than Alberto is an improvement on Shelvey is beyond me. He hasn't played a competitive game for us and hardly played at the top level before us.

Mignolet is up in the air too, in my opinion. Pepe was a very good keeper and his form had picked up significantly before he left.

Aspas could be a decent signing, I agree - better than Craig Bellamy or Dirk Kuyt? I'm not so sure. But he is essentially a replacement for those players, given they were never replaced last summer.

Well, we've got about a month of the window left. All we can do is wait to see what happens. If we get in Papadopolous and Eriksen, or the equivalent in quality, along with keeping grumpy bollocks, then I'll think this window has been really good. However, if we sell Suarez and can't bring anybody in, it's going to be murder. At the moment, it could go either way.

Yeah I agree - if we can bring in ~£35m of top quality first team players (I'd swerve Eriksen but that's besides the point), we'll have had a good summer. Not amazing, but pretty good.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Point: Take Bale out of Spurs; take Suarez out of Liverpool, which team is worse off, based on last season points total and form?

In terms of points 'n that? I'm not sure, mate. I've not got any of those numbers available. I could spend a couple of hours working it out, but I really can't be bothered. I'd take a guess and say Bale is definitely worth points and places in the league, but I'd say that Suarez wouldn't cost us places in the league (according to that OPTAJoe fella).

I instinctively said 'who' in response to that first line but read on...

I like Toure but I don't see him as better than Carra, so I guess we disagree there. Similarly good perhaps, but not better.

How you or anybody can say with confidence (or any veracity, for that matter) than Alberto is an improvement on Shelvey is beyond me. He hasn't played a competitive game for us and hardly played at the top level before us.

Mignolet is up in the air too, in my opinion. Pepe was a very good keeper and his form had picked up significantly before he left.

Aspas could be a decent signing, I agree - better than Craig Bellamy or Dirk Kuyt? I'm not so sure. But he is essentially a replacement for those players, given they were never replaced last summer.

Fair enough, it's subjective. In my opinion, we've given ourselves options from the bench. Last season that was a massive problem. The manager must have looked at the bench at times and just thought 'who the fuck am I meant to bring on here'.

Yeah I agree - if we can bring in ~£35m of top quality first team players (I'd swerve Eriksen but that's besides the point), we'll have had a good summer. Not amazing, but pretty good.

For me, losing Carra to retirement, Carroll who wasn't here, Reina who has been on the slide for a long while, and Shelvey who wasn't a starter anyway, yet getting in Aspas, Luis Alberto, Mignolet, Toure, Papadopoulos, and Eriksen would represent a real strengthening of the side. At worst, without the last two signings, we stay the same as we were at the second half of last season which was a few points off fourth, at best we get those players and really fucking kick on.

However, if you exclude Bale's 17 goals in the league, Spurs would find themselves ninth in the table and 14 points adrift of rivals Arsenal in fourth place with seven matches to play.

baletable_2527873a.jpg

If you count the rest of the games and exclude Bales goals, the point tally comes up to 52, 8th place in the final table.

Says a lot.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If you count the rest of the games and exclude Bales goals, the point tally comes up to 52, 8th place in the final table.

Says a lot.

Thanks for that, good postings.

Can the phrase "marquee signing" be banned? It's a bit Sky Sports. Reminds of those n0bheads who ring up Five Live.

I'm not too concerned to see Reina and Skrtel gone. Maybe I'm naive.

I'm in, I'm putting my weight behind 'franchise player'. Captures the essence of the today much better.

Agger has always said Liverpool is where he wants to be. I don't think that has changed, not as far as I know.

Isn't Agger on record saying the only club that would tempt him to leave would be Barca?.

Even Borrell was pimping him out on Spanish radio

orrell told Catalan radio station SER Esports that the Danish international's footballing style would be ideal for Barca.

"Agger has the right characteristics to adapt to Barca's play," he said.

"He is a very trustworthy centrehalf, above all on the ball, because he comes out very well with it. In a style like Barca's where he start to build moves from the keeper, a defender must have a good pass, must make the right decisions, and be quick when you lose the ball and good in the air at set-pieces both in defence and attack. Agger fulfills all these qualities.

Borrell added given that [manager] Tito Vilanova's current centre-half options of Gerard Pique, Javier Mascherano and Carles Puyol are are all right footers, signing a left-footer such as Agger would make sense.

"At Barca, where all the centre-backs are right-footed, to have a lefty would make it much easier to bring the ball out," he said.

Liverpool's Daniel Agger perfect 'fit' for Barcelona says Liverpool academy chief Rodolfo Borrell | Football News | ESPN.co.uk

Still think David Luiz is far more likely though.

He signed an extension last August I think it was around 60-70k but

I am sure it will be reported as 120k as is the norm these days to justify anything.

But you're onto them, TH. There's no fooling you; you're well too smart for their ruses, lies and cunning ploys, attempting to pull the wool over your eyes.

Pleased we've got someone to tell us how it is.

Agger has always said Liverpool is where he wants to be. I don't think that has changed, not as far as I know.

Isn't Agger on record saying the only club that would tempt him to leave would be Barca?.

Even Borrell was pimping him out on Spanish radio a few wekks back.

Borrell told Catalan radio station SER Esports that the Danish international's footballing style would be ideal for Barca.

"Agger has the right characteristics to adapt to Barca's play," he said.

"He is a very trustworthy centrehalf, above all on the ball, because he comes out very well with it. In a style like Barca's where he start to build moves from the keeper, a defender must have a good pass, must make the right decisions, and be quick when you lose the ball and good in the air at set-pieces both in defence and attack. Agger fulfills all these qualities.

Borrell added given that [manager] Tito Vilanova's current centre-half options of Gerard Pique, Javier Mascherano and Carles Puyol are are all right footers, signing a left-footer such as Agger would make sense.

"At Barca, where all the centre-backs are right-footed, to have a lefty would make it much easier to bring the ball out," he said.

Liverpool's Daniel Agger perfect 'fit' for Barcelona says Liverpool academy chief Rodolfo Borrell | Football News | ESPN.co.uk

Still think David Luiz is far more likely though.