You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Two questions: First, who has 100% faith in FSG; second, what 'proof'?

Can't you see we've been had? The scouts, Rodgers and FSG are all colluding to make it seem like we are trying to sign players when in fact we aren't going to sign anybody.

I'm almost glad there's fuck all banded about in the press about our potential targets. It may just mean we're doing business the right way, the Liverpool Way if you will. ***pulls on crash helmet****

None of the deals we've done/tried have been on the QT so ill be very surprised if that's the case.

Point one - We are not in the champions league so don't have the revenue or pull.

Point two - We don't have rich owners (I also don't know why a trillionaire prefers the likes of Fulham, but they do)

Point three - As much as it pains me to say it, we don't have the attraction for players we had back in my day.

Signing players who don't want to come to a club not playing in Europe is tough. I don't want a Ridsale paying stupid fees and salaries and bankrupting the club like he did at Leeds.

I'm off to that positive thread thingy now for a massage and to listen to whale songs.

All this shit started way before Rodgers and way before FSG. I don't love them, I don't hate them.

The next few weeks will say a lot about the owners intentions for the club. It's nonsense to suggest Brendan and his scouts can't find any decent players to improve & who'd join what is an average team if we're honest.

I do expect us to make at least one good signing for the first team, although the lack of any solid links is worrying. It's even claimed we never bid for that Armenian. If it doesn't happen, I'm not looking forward to 6th being spun as improvement. We shouldn't be judging this season on last years under-achievements.

Fans are going to start to get very restless with many more seasons where we lag behind five clubs in the league. It'll probably end up costing Brendan his job, for the owners aren't going to sack themselves.

Can't you see we've been had? The scouts, Rodgers and FSG are all colluding to make it seem like we are trying to sign players when in fact we aren't going to sign anybody.

Look under your bed, there's a communist there.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
That they're bringing down the wage bill?

That we've spent about 1m?

That we're on the verge of losing our star player again rather than adding to him?

That despite getting the squad fillers in, we're still no nearer to getting players in for the starting eleven?

3 pre season games left, no one will be in for Saturday so that's 2! so much for getting everyone in quick sharp

If the window closes and we're in the same position, you'll have a point. Who has 100% faith in FSG? Actually, who gives a fuck about FSG? At all. I know I don't, I just agree that getting people like Aquilani off the wage bill was a good idea if we wanted to succeed. Honestly, I think it's better to pay Coutinho 40-50k per year than 120k to Joe Cole. Maybe that means I want to rip LFC off, I dunno.

As for bringing in players, you're jumping the gun. There's nothing going to come from saying we're not going to get somebody. If we don't, we don't; people will be fucked off. Including me.

Spurs have no CL and pay lower wages then us, are a smaller club and have no history, but they can sign Soldado and Paulinho and we can't get players that good?

Because they're ahead of us at the moment and are perceived as genuine champions league qualifiers. They've finished in the top four for two out of the last three seasons, missed out the season before last because Chelsea won it and narrowly missed out last season.

We're at present no longer perceived as top four contenders.

Being located in London doesn't hurt either when trying to attract overseas players.

Spurs progress should give us hope though, I genuinely don't believe that we're that far behind them and they've managed to establish themselves without spending megabucks like City or Chelsea. If we can just keep spending our available funds more effectively (like we did in January) we'll make progress.

If the window closes and we're in the same position, you'll have a point. Who has 100% faith in FSG? Actually, who gives a fuck about FSG? At all. I know I don't, I just agree that getting people like Aquilani off the wage bill was a good idea if we wanted to succeed. Honestly, I think it's better to pay Coutinho 40-50k per year than 120k to Joe Cole. Maybe that means I want to rip LFC off, I dunno.

As for bringing in players, you're jumping the gun. There's nothing going to come from saying we're not going to get somebody. If we don't, we don't; people will be fucked off. Including me.

Who's on about Cole and Aquilani?

We'll see, I hope i'm wrong

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Who's on about Cole and Aquilani?

We'll see, I hope i'm wrong

You mentioned the wagebill, I was explaining why I wanted it trimmed. I'm also saying we need to learn our lessons about spending money on players who aren't good enough.

You mentioned the wagebill, I was explaining why I wanted it trimmed. I'm also saying we need to learn our lessons about spending money on players who aren't good enough.

Get rid of their 100 grand and give it to a top player.

We've cut half a million a week off the wage bill.

Rodgers saying Gerrard is our most important summer signing.

Gerrard: "If we get the couple of marquee signings we need and keep Luis that will give me confidence that we can compete

I just read this again now.

Dont tell me he seriously has repeated that propaganda bullshite once again?

It was bad enough to do it when he signed his contract, but to now come out and repeat it.

Give us a break Rodgers, we are not all idiots.

Nobody had heard of Paulinho before the confederations Cup, now he's Zidane crossed with Vieira.

If we'd spent £20m on him and Chadli then some might have argued that we'd only slightly strengthened our 1st team too.

Spurs need a Soldado, we don't. He's be a nice addition for us, but we already score goals, we just need to stop conceding silly ones, hence Mignolet and Toure.

I think this is last chance saloon for our midfield, and I don't mean Allen, I mean Henderson and Lucas. The latter I love but we need great performances out of him otherwise I've no doubt we will be shopping for there next year. But I agree that it's a little early to make a defining judgement on either play yet for different reasons, one being a nasty injury and the other being age and the possibility he will bloom into something special.

That's the nature of, er, nature. Things bloom, they don't gradually grow, it's not linear, sometimes everything comes together at once.