You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Caulker £8.5 million

Ricky Van Wolfswinkle £7 million

There's two players I'd have straight in our team, ain't buying all this improving the group with the right players bollocks, Eriksen has basically said come and get me, how the fuck we haven't I don't know, those questioning if he would be an improvement or not, anything is an improvement on that spineless cunt Downing, he makes my skin crawl the shithouse.

I ain't worrying just yet but if we don't improve the team quickly then I can see Suarez fucking off last minute and the club fucking it up again.

Who would you sign if you were in Rodgers' seat, Paul?

I'd try to get players like Draxler and Shaqiri. Schalke might not want to sell Draxler for anything other than massive money, but Shaqiri is a sub at Bayern who seems to be well down the pecking order. Munain could be another one we could get. Sakho seems to be gonna be sub for PSG, too, but not sure him and Agger can play together.

I don't watch as much European football as I used to.

They are far better teams than us so will find it harder to find players to improve them.

But surely if we're hoping to catch up to those teams we should be looking to sign players good enough to play for them? Both us and Arsenal are apparently looking for a centre back, now if there was a top class one available and willing to come to England for a reasonable fee, he'd probably already be at the Emirates by now. If there was a top class holding midfielder available in the £10-20m range, Man Utd would probably snap him up so they don't have to play Phil Jones and Wayne Rooney there next season.

We're in the awkward position of needing top 4 quality players but only being the 6th most attractive team in England right now (with at least another half dozen more attractive teams than us on the continent). As I said, it's mostly £15-20m international players, who would walk into any team below us in the league, that we're looking to improve upon, which isn't easy to do with a budget of probably no more than £20-25m.

I agree with BR and the club. There, I've said it.

I don't think we should spend for the sake of it and to be honest I don't think we'll buy anyone else before the end of the window unless someone is shipped out, and even then I think we might wait.

Maybe I have low expectations but I think we're pretty set at the moment.

For all those who disagree and think we should spend big money, play fantasy manager for a moment. Who would you buy, for how much, who would they knock out of the team and rate the chances of them agreeing to come here.

I'd try to get players like Draxler and Shaqiri. Schalke might not want to sell Draxler for anything other than massive money, but Shaqiri is a sub at Bayern who seems to be well down the pecking order. Munain could be another one we could get. Sakho seems to be gonna be sub for PSG, too, but not sure him and Agger can play together.

Agree on Draxler, Paul. We should break the bank for that guy. Not sure about Shaqiri, personally. But I'm no massive Bundesliga follower either so he may well be ace.

Munain is an interesting shout. Gone off the boil by all accounts but may well be worth the risk.

But, I agree with you in principle. As I always do. It's obviously easier said than done, but I really think we should be able to find two players for the first team by Sept if the money is available. Well, hopefully anyway.

Schalke rejected a 60m€ bid for Draxler recently. Bayern are not selling Shaqiri.

We should have a look at Gustavo, depending on how much BAyern want for him. He can play DM and CB.

I agree with BR and the club. There' date=' I've said it.

I don't think we should spend for the sake of it and to be honest I don't think we'll buy anyone else before the end of the window unless someone is shipped out, and even then I think we might wait.

For all those who disagree and think we should spend big money, play fantasy manager for a moment. Who would you buy, for how much, who would they knock out of the team and rate the chances of them agreeing to come here.[/quote']

It's got nothing to do with spending big, we haven't spent at all. We should have at least 20-25 mil to spend and we need to spend it.

As for all this who would you buy, that's ultimately futile. It doesn't matter who I'd buy,the scouts who are paid good money to find the players need to do that.

I'm not having all this ' but we're only the 6th best team in England ' crap either. If we splash the cash we'll get good players in.

There is a month left of the window. No excuses if we don't buy anyone.

I think we will though, just have to wait and see.

I think we definitely will. Going into the season on the back of losing your best player is pretty hard to dress up and noble letters from Henry about how much he aches are unlikely to work again.

That said, if we don't, there will be excuses. Some really good ones, too. I bet that someone will seriously try to claim now we've been playing under Rodgers for a year and the players fully understand their roles, that the system is like a brand new £50m signing.

Schalke rejected a 60m€ bid for Draxler recently. Bayern are not selling Shaqiri.

We should have a look at Gustavo, depending on how much BAyern want for him. He can play DM and CB.

Well, to be precise, Draxler himself rejected the offer that would have got HIM 60m€ and Schalke 45m€, which is his his buyout clause.

I think we definitely will. Going into the season on the back of losing your best player is pretty hard to dress up and noble letters from Henry about how much he aches are unlikely to work again.

That said, if we don't, there will be excuses. Some really good ones, too. I bet that someone will seriously try to claim now we've been playing under Rodgers for a year and the players fully understand their roles, that the system is like a brand new £50m signing.

Haha. The revolutionary system that our footballers have never even seen anything like before.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If we don't spend any money then I'll be annoyed. We seriously need to add real quality in 1 or 2 positions.

There's no sense in signing players for the sake of it but there has to be some fucker out there who we could get who would improve our first xi

Yep, pretty much. Barrett said we're finding it hard to attract big names. It's almost as if getting top four is more important than winning a league cup when it comes to getting good players in.

We need to do whatever it takes to get a couple of very good players, even if it's just big wages.

That said' date=' if we don't, there will be excuses. Some really good ones, too. I bet that someone will seriously try to claim now we've been playing under Rodgers for a year and the players fully understand their roles, that the system is like a brand new £50m signing.[/quote']

Yep.

I genuinely believe we'll sign one or two good players, but if we don't then FSG and Rodgers will be under huge pressure if we get off to a bad start. And rightly so.

I just can't get my head around this ' who can we attract ' argument though. You've got a month and £20 million to spend to upgrade on Stewart Downing. How fucking hard can that be for a group of professional scouts?

As for all this who would you buy, that's ultimately futile. It doesn't matter who I'd buy,the scouts who are paid good money to find the players need to do that.

I'm not having all this ' but we're only the 6th best team in England ' crap either. If we splash the cash we'll get good players in

I agree it's futile but it's annoying that it's all a lot of posters are focussed on and certainly a lot more difficult than people are making out.

As for the last part again again I agree but don't think it has to be big cash, Coutinho and Sturridge are proof of that. Another Coutinho like signing would be amazing. I was also pretty excited at Llori at just 3m.

All I want is that Suarez is sorted out soon ie in the next week, so we can all move on without it dragging on to the last week.

• Downvote 1

I agree with BR and the club. There' date=' I've said it.

For all those who disagree and think we should spend big money, play fantasy manager for a moment. Who would you buy, for how much, who would they knock out of the team and rate the chances of them agreeing to come here.[/quote']

The only thing we're set for right now is finishing behind Everton again.

As for all this who would you buy' date=' that's ultimately futile. It doesn't matter who I'd buy,the scouts who are paid good money to find the players need to do that.

I'm not having all this ' but we're only the 6th best team in England ' crap either. If we splash the cash we'll get good players in

I agree it's futile but it's annoying that it's all a lot of posters are focussed on and certainly a lot more difficult than people are making out.

As for the last part again again I agree but don't think it has to be big cash, Coutinho and Sturridge are proof of that. Another Coutinho like signing would be amazing. I was also pretty excited at Llori at just 3m.

All I want is that Suarez is sorted out soon ie in the next week, so we can all move on without it dragging on to the last week.[/quote']

Doesn't have to be big money of course, but no one here is an expect on the Ukrainian league, and the Belgian and the Brazilian, and the Dutch etc... The scouts we have are paid to be, and with what should be a half decent budget left ( regardless of what happens with Suarez ) they need to come up with some names and make it happen.

I can understand the club maybe not wanting to splash out £15 mil on someone for the Downing position when we might be able to pay out double that if Suarez goes, but they need to deal with that and make sure we don't have a repeat of last summer.