You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

We're being linked to Ukrainian international Yevhen Konoplyanka. Seems like a bit of a dubious one to me but his Wiki page does make him sound like a Rodgers type player:

"Then-teammate Volodymyr Homenyuk noted Konoplaynka's quick progress since his arrival to the main team. He observed that "having got a hold of a place in Dnipro's starting line-up' date=' [Konoplyanka'] demonstrates good football - creates moments, carries out crosses, and sends shots at the goal. Sharpens the game in general. Yevhen has everything required to become a high-class player - the speed and the dribbling ability. he is one of the fastest players,and technical dribbler."

Hasn't he done pretty well against England the last couple of times they've met? He's incredibly quick from what I've seen, both with and without the ball. I'd not call him a technical dribbler though, it's more like his pace takes hom past opponents than trickery.

Yarmolenko is good too, but Kono has more potential. Either of those would be excellent, but can't see either player being interested in a move to us atm...

This is the level we're at. We need to take calculated risks on certain players.

I reckon he'll be fucking ace though. Our medical team have worked a miracle with Gerrard, so they'll sort the Greek out no bother.

Yeah' date=' he has had knee surgery, so we'll definitely need to check it out before parting with lots of cash. His quality is beyond a doubt though. I've no idea if the knee will impact his pace or whatever, so it's a gamble.

Truth is, if he didn't have the injury and carried on the way he was before, I highly doubt we'd be able to get him. City, Chelsea and co would be all over him. I think Chelsea were interested anyway.[/quote']

He's probably going to do very well if he comes here, and I bet he'll become something of a crowd favourite too. I actually agree with code on one thing though, at 1.83 he's not going to be the aerially dominant cb we desperately need, no matter how good a leap he has on him...

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He's probably going to do very well if he comes here, and I bet he'll become something of a crowd favourite too. I actually agree with code on one thing though, at 1.83 he's not going to be the aerially dominant cb we desperately need, no matter how good a leap he has on him...

Why not? He's strong as an ox and is a quality header(er?) of the ball. Dominating in the air isn't about the difference between 6ft (which he is) and 6ft 1 (which John Terry is). If we think the dominance in the air is an inch or two, we're barking up the wrong tree. I'm not saying he's the most dominant or anything, he's fine in the air though. We shouldn't discount other attributes though.

Edited by Numero Veinticinco

Skrtel was in the news here in Slovakia few minutes ago, there was a live phone call with him asking only about this (Napoli)transfer and he said that he does not know anything about move to Italy, that nobody from Napoli or LFC talked to him about this possibility, nor transfer or loan.

he said he only read it at the internet. so it´s bullshit or the club are doing Reina again.

And to Papa is better than Skrtel...I don´t say he is not, but I would like to know how many of the people on here singing songs about how much of an upgrade on Skrtel he is have actully seen Papadopoulous play for more than 180 minutes altogether.

Reina knew from the start that Napoli were in for him.

Skrtel was in the news here in Slovakia few minutes ago' date=' there was a live phone call with him asking only about this (Napoli)transfer and he said that he does not know anything about move to Italy, that nobody from Napoli or LFC talked to him about this possibility, nor transfer or loan.

he said he only read it at the internet. so it´s bullshit or the club are doing Reina again.

And to Papa is better than Skrtel...I don´t say he is not, but I would like to know how many of the people on here singing songs about how much of an upgrade on Skrtel he is have actully seen Papadopoulous play for more than 180 minutes altogether.[/quote']

Cheers for the info Dracco

If Papadopolous was 8'6" and had never lost an aerial dual in his career King Nobhead would find some other flaw to obsess over.

Why not? He's strong as an ox and is a quality header(er?) of the ball. Dominating in the air isn't about the difference between 6ft (which he is) and 6ft 1 (which John Terry is). If we think the dominance in the air is an inch or two' date=' we're barking up the wrong tree. I'm not saying he's the most dominant or anything, he's fine in the air though. We shouldn't discount other attributes though.[/quote']

Those extra couple of inches are often the difference between doing fine and being dominant is all I'm saying... As we're generally weak in the air throughout the team, we need at least one of the cb's to be excellent in the air, not just good. Terry is 6'1 1/2 btw;-). Too bad we can't give Cooates enough time to find out if he can make it... Agree we shouldn't disregard his other qualities, but my main priority (unless Suarez leaves) for the rest of the window would be to get a cb that is a) very quick and b ) a real force in the air. Unfortunately those fitting that "profile" either can't pass/trap a ball to save their life, or are already at cl clubs:-(

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Those extra couple of inches are often the difference between doing fine and being dominant is all I'm saying.

Would you honestly say this is the difference. I mean the word 'this', because that's about the difference in size between Terry and Papadopoulos. If it was, we'd get players wearing slightly longer studs and thicker insoles. Strength, reading of the game, jump timing and height, these things are very important.

If it was all down to size, especially an inch, Crouch would be unstoppable in the air. He ain't. Coates is bigger than the lot of our defenders, but is he dominant? For me, Papa is so aggressive that I'd be much more confident with him at CB than Skrtel. Skrtel has 3 inches on him.

Would you honestly say this is the difference. I mean the word 'this'' date=' because that's about the difference in size between Terry and Papadopoulos. If it was, we'd get players wearing slightly longer studs and thicker insoles. Strength, reading of the game, jump timing and height, these things are very important.

If it was all down to size, especially an inch, Crouch would be unstoppable in the air. He ain't. Coates is bigger than the lot of our defenders, but is he dominant? For me, Papa is so aggressive that I'd be much more confident with him at CB than Skrtel. Skrtel has 3 inches on him.[/quote']

I'm probably not expressing myself well enough.... I want someone with all the qualities you've mentioned - plus the two/three inches papa lacks... Probably hard to find though...

How are you gonna put all of them in the same side? Have you ever been to a proper 'soccer' match?

You could put them in a 3-4-3. (I say it like it's alien because I doubt we'd ever try it.)

----------------Soldado-----Sturridge-----Aspas

--------------------------------Luis

---------------------Coutinho-------Stevie

-------------------------------Lucas

------------------Toure-------Agger------Kelly

Was thinking about how we'd play attacking-wise in a couple of formations earlier that's all as I was wondering how Suso would've fit in if he'd stayed. Clearly not ideal to put Luis there but his potential to create for others could work really well. Obviously he'd be better in the front 3 though, in this case I'd prefer one of the front 3 listed here on the bench and Suso (if he'd stayed.) where Luis is.

Edited by Red Phoenix

Loaning Sterling would only be a good idea if we're making more signings in that area, surely. I think Sterling should get plenty of minutes here this season, not sure a loan to West Ham will aid his development. Yeah he may play more games but he might not, he'd be better served staying here and integrating with the new look squad IMO.

You could put them in a 3-4-3. (I say it like it's alien because I doubt we'd ever try it.)

----------------Soldado-----Sturridge-----Aspas

--------------------------------Luis

---------------------Coutinho-------Stevie

-------------------------------Lucas

------------------Toure-------Agger------Kelly

Was thinking about how we'd play attacking-wise in a couple of formations earlier that's all as I was wondering how Suso would've fit in if he'd stayed. Clearly not ideal to put Luis there but his potential to create for others could work really well. Obviously he'd be better in the front 3 though, in this case I'd prefer one of the front 3 listed here on the bench and Suso (if he'd stayed.) where Luis is.

That will never ever happen. Soldado can't play anywhere but the main striker role either.