You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Hang on, I'm not whinging. I just offered my theory as to why some of our fans are so melodramatic. We have been fairly shite for four consecutive seasons, finishing 7th, 6th, 8th and 7th in the league. Had we been more successful, finishing in the top 4 and making progress in the Champions League, then I think people would be reacting differently to things.

seems to me, lots of you have given up before a ball has been kicked....

Have liked Schweinsteiger for years too, think he'd have fit into almost any side across europe and done well.

Yeah, agree with that. Not many people would have thought that about one of the best midfielders in the world. I think that little Argentine at Barca would do well too. Ronaldo at Madrid. Xavi, Iniesta. There are players out there.

I still can't believe what happened with Podolski. He was regularly great for the national side, yet he was allowed to go back to his original club Koln for years and nobody seemed to show any interest at all. Even the Koln fans had to gather some money to help get his transfer back there sorted!

Now look how well he's doing. That whole thing is one of the most bizarre issues with a footballer I've ever known. If we'd have bought him years ago I'm totally convinced he'd have been great for us, and it regularly bugs me.

Look at their current squad here too, and just below it the recent call ups. Not many of those players at all even outside their country, weird : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany_national_football_team#Current_squad

Didnt he leave Bayern because he was homesick & couldnt settle, thats why he went home & thats why many foreign clubs wouldnt gamble on him. I dont think hes been that good at Arsenal either.

Didn't know where to put it but if Brendan is trying to convince player sto come in he should be using this to help convince them

Reds’ Melbourne experience ‘a real tear-jerker’

Friday, July 26, 2013

By Brendan O’Brien

This isn’t an easy write for a guy who, as a kid, dreamed of playing in front of the Stretford End, but as the start to another Premier League season approaches it brings with it the realisation that there would be no better script than for Liverpool to return to the summit of the game.

It is a bombshell that finally exploded on this one-time Manchester United fanatic earlier this week when scenes from Liverpool’s pre-season tour to Australia rippled far beyond the usual stagnant pond that is such meaningless fare and came courtesy of events off the pitch rather than on it.

Brendan Rodgers’ side were about to face Melbourne Victory at the famous MCG on Wednesday when 95,000 supporters began to serenade the English side with one of the most memorable versions of the club’s unofficial anthem, a song that must surely resonate with anyone who has a soul regardless of club affiliation. “I want to put on record a huge thank you to the people of Melbourne and Australia. The You’ll Never Walk Alone at the beginning was a real tear-jerker,” Rodgers said.

You didn’t have to be a Red to appreciate the harmony and the seas of scarves. You never did. My late godfather Tom O’Reilly was a lifelong Evertonian but the tune that began life as a number in a Rogers and Hammerstein musical before going viral with Gerry and the Pacemakers was as much a side of ‘Twomey’ as his lovely golf swing or glasses and the mind flits back now seven years to the night in Old Trafford when United and Celtic came together to celebrate Roy Keane’s testimonial.

Almost half the Theatre of Dreams was occupied by fans of the Glasgow giants that night, come to pay homage to the Corkonian who graced Paradise only at the fag end of an illustrious career and, oh, how they belted out that glorious tune. The home fans didn’t take too kindly, of course. The boos and hisses from the other sides of the ground were as synchronised as any football ditty ever was but the hairs on this observer’s neck stood parade-ground straight and it remains 15 years into a journalism career blissfully sprinkled with memorable moments as one of the most magical.

Rarely, if ever, has a sheet of music so eloquently stood for what a club is about or, at least, how it sees itself and how it would dearly love others to see it. Unfortunately, it is a tune that becomes more relevant with each passing season with its lyrics about dreams being tossed and blown describing perfectly the spiral in fortunes that has been the club’s fate for most of the last 20 years.

In fact, the more time passes since their heyday the more ludicrous those great days seem: that a rundown, post-industrial and in so many ways troubled city could give life to a side that dominated a country and a continent with a style of football that bewitched and beguiled and with a collection of mostly British and Irish footballers to boot.

You could always hate Liverpool. Many of us unlucky or unintelligent enough to hitch our hopes and dreams to lesser sides in the 1970s and 1980s loathed them for their ubiquity and their fans for their preening confidence, but to some of us there was always a begrudging respect and acceptance that the chief source of our dislike stemmed from the fact that here was a club that simply did good things better than our lot time and time again.

They don’t do that so much anymore. The ructions of the Hicks and Gillett ownership era, the fruitless search for a new stadium for Anfield or further afield and the distasteful rancour that arose from the Luis Suarez-Patrice Evra affair have undoubtedly lessened the club in the eyes of most impartial beholders but not nearly so much as their struggles on the park itself.

The temptation is to write them off as another Huddersfield Town, Wolves or Blackpool: a former giant that has fallen on hard times and one for whom the harsh economics of a game that loads the odds of success in the favour of clubs who inhabit larger ‘markets’ hardly bode well for a repeat of its glory days.

But then you think of that tradition and that fanbase and you find yourself thinking what a story it would be if Liverpool could thumb their noses at all that and re-emerge as a viable contender in an environment seemingly reserved for sides like United who have just recently stitched the words ‘Football Club’ back onto their crest or the expensive playthings that are Chelsea and Manchester City.

Then play the MCG rendition - Deal done!

Didn't know where to put it but if Brendan is trying to convince player sto come in he should be using this to help convince them

Reds’ Melbourne experience ‘a real tear-jerker’

Friday, July 26, 2013

By Brendan O’Brien

This isn’t an easy write for a guy who, as a kid, dreamed of playing in front of the Stretford End, but as the start to another Premier League season approaches it brings with it the realisation that there would be no better script than for Liverpool to return to the summit of the game.

It is a bombshell that finally exploded on this one-time Manchester United fanatic earlier this week when scenes from Liverpool’s pre-season tour to Australia rippled far beyond the usual stagnant pond that is such meaningless fare and came courtesy of events off the pitch rather than on it.

Brendan Rodgers’ side were about to face Melbourne Victory at the famous MCG on Wednesday when 95,000 supporters began to serenade the English side with one of the most memorable versions of the club’s unofficial anthem, a song that must surely resonate with anyone who has a soul regardless of club affiliation. “I want to put on record a huge thank you to the people of Melbourne and Australia. The You’ll Never Walk Alone at the beginning was a real tear-jerker,” Rodgers said.

You didn’t have to be a Red to appreciate the harmony and the seas of scarves. You never did. My late godfather Tom O’Reilly was a lifelong Evertonian but the tune that began life as a number in a Rogers and Hammerstein musical before going viral with Gerry and the Pacemakers was as much a side of ‘Twomey’ as his lovely golf swing or glasses and the mind flits back now seven years to the night in Old Trafford when United and Celtic came together to celebrate Roy Keane’s testimonial.

Almost half the Theatre of Dreams was occupied by fans of the Glasgow giants that night, come to pay homage to the Corkonian who graced Paradise only at the fag end of an illustrious career and, oh, how they belted out that glorious tune. The home fans didn’t take too kindly, of course. The boos and hisses from the other sides of the ground were as synchronised as any football ditty ever was but the hairs on this observer’s neck stood parade-ground straight and it remains 15 years into a journalism career blissfully sprinkled with memorable moments as one of the most magical.

Rarely, if ever, has a sheet of music so eloquently stood for what a club is about or, at least, how it sees itself and how it would dearly love others to see it. Unfortunately, it is a tune that becomes more relevant with each passing season with its lyrics about dreams being tossed and blown describing perfectly the spiral in fortunes that has been the club’s fate for most of the last 20 years.

In fact, the more time passes since their heyday the more ludicrous those great days seem: that a rundown, post-industrial and in so many ways troubled city could give life to a side that dominated a country and a continent with a style of football that bewitched and beguiled and with a collection of mostly British and Irish footballers to boot.

You could always hate Liverpool. Many of us unlucky or unintelligent enough to hitch our hopes and dreams to lesser sides in the 1970s and 1980s loathed them for their ubiquity and their fans for their preening confidence, but to some of us there was always a begrudging respect and acceptance that the chief source of our dislike stemmed from the fact that here was a club that simply did good things better than our lot time and time again.

They don’t do that so much anymore. The ructions of the Hicks and Gillett ownership era, the fruitless search for a new stadium for Anfield or further afield and the distasteful rancour that arose from the Luis Suarez-Patrice Evra affair have undoubtedly lessened the club in the eyes of most impartial beholders but not nearly so much as their struggles on the park itself.

The temptation is to write them off as another Huddersfield Town, Wolves or Blackpool: a former giant that has fallen on hard times and one for whom the harsh economics of a game that loads the odds of success in the favour of clubs who inhabit larger ‘markets’ hardly bode well for a repeat of its glory days.

But then you think of that tradition and that fanbase and you find yourself thinking what a story it would be if Liverpool could thumb their noses at all that and re-emerge as a viable contender in an environment seemingly reserved for sides like United who have just recently stitched the words ‘Football Club’ back onto their crest or the expensive playthings that are Chelsea and Manchester City.

Then play the MCG rendition - Deal done!

Sound for that mate. Good article.

He was £27m i think, but that was over inflated due to who was buying him.

I would imagine £20-25m might get him, but it all depends on 2 things -

1. Whether Pellegini plans to have him as first choice, seeing they almost have an embarrassment of attacking players.

2. Would he sacrifice the CL for regular 1st team football.

The big plus is he probably lives in the Cheshire countryside so he wouldn't need to relocate to come to us, but filtering in the 2 issues above - it would probably be extremely unlikely. I'd test the water with a bid anyway.

Newcastle are supposedly looking to get Remy from QPR on a season long loan.

We could do a lot worse than getting him in for a season, especially with Sturridge injured.

He's a bit rapey. I would be looking at players without baggage once we get rid of our current headache

He was £27m i think' date=' but that was over inflated due to who was buying him.

I would imagine £20-25m might get him, but it all depends on 2 things -

1. Whether Pellegini plans to have him as first choice, seeing they almost have an embarrassment of attacking players.

2. Would he sacrifice the CL for regular 1st team football.

The big plus is he probably lives in the Cheshire countryside so he wouldn't need to relocate to come to us, but filtering in the 2 issues above - it would probably be extremely unlikely. I'd test the water with a bid anyway.[/quote']

I have no idea if city want to sell, but if they do it'll be because they don't want him. In that situation, I don't see them getting £25m, especially when you consider he probably earns £150k per week.

I have no idea if city want to sell, but if they do it'll be because they don't want him. In that situation, I don't see them getting £25m, especially when you consider he probably earns £150k per week.

The wages are obviously a bit of a concern, but at his age - surely sitting on the bench won't be in his best interests. He only started 16 games last season, considering they sold Balotelli half way through - the fact they are stronger this year means his chances may be further reduced. I would imagine Aguero and Negredo would be first choice with Silva, Navas, Nasri, Milner and Jovetic all vying for the wide options (Jovetic can also play as a striker tho), i can see him wanting to go if he starts the season in his tracksuit.

Yeah, agree with that. Not many people would have thought that about one of the best midfielders in the world. I think that little Argentine at Barca would do well too. Ronaldo at Madrid. Xavi, Iniesta. There are players out there.

Har har, I should've explained better. I kind of meant it seemed stranger because he's stayed at the same club. Similar to Stevie, but I didn't think Bayern would've managed to keep him like they have done. Have never even read of anyone trying to sign him, (clearly several clubs will have tried, I know.) which makes it stand out more.

By the way, that Bale : I think he's pretty good. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at a top club soon. He has some skills. *nods and winks*

The wages are obviously a bit of a concern' date=' but at his age - surely sitting on the bench won't be in his best interests. He only started 16 games last season, considering they sold Balotelli half way through - the fact they are stronger this year means his chances may be further reduced. I would imagine Aguero and Negredo would be first choice with Silva, Navas, Nasri, Milner and Jovetic all vying for the wide options (Jovetic can also play as a striker tho), i can see him wanting to go if he starts the season in his tracksuit.[/quote']

Maybe, I think though city can afford to take their chances if they want him to stick around.

Didnt he leave Bayern because he was homesick & couldnt settle, thats why he went home & thats why many foreign clubs wouldnt gamble on him.

Had no idea of that, will maybe have a search later and see if it's true. If so it'll help clear up the confusion, so thanks.