You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

We will still need a class attacking player and centre back if Suarez stays or goes. Go get them now.

We'll end up paying more for players if we wait for someone to pay the price they are looking to sell Suarez for.

That was surely the plan with getting Mignolet, wasn't it?

Get who we want then make any sales we need.

We will still need a class attacking player and centre back if Suarez stays or goes. Go get them now.

We'll end up paying more for players if we wait for someone to pay the price they are looking to sell Suarez for.

Not sure we do need a centre back if Skrtel stays.

Toure and Agger first choice, with Skrtel another option and then there is Wisdom / Kelly. That should be fine. If Skrtel goes, then that changes things.

It is hard to know what type of attacking player we need, until Suarez goes, that's my point. If Suarez stays then Coutinho might be seen more on the left. But if Suarez goes then maybe Coutinho gets the central number 10 role and we need wide players. If Suarez goes we'll need another option upfront, if he doesn't we should be fine with the striker options.

I understand the point about paying less, but it is hard to know who we need until we know whether Suarez is going or staying.

That was surely the plan with getting Mignolet, wasn't it?

Get who we want then make any sales we need.

It seems that was the plan. Mignolet wasn't even badly needed with Reina but other starting players are. We haven't improved at all yet IMO. We'll be far weaker when Suarze goes. Then we'll need at least 3 class players. I just can't see it happening.

Toure and Agger first choice, with Skrtel another option and then there is Wisdom / Kelly. That should be fine. If Skrtel goes, then that changes things.

It is hard to know what type of attacking player we need, until Suarez goes, that's my point. If Suarez stays then Coutinho might be seen more on the left. But if Suarez goes then maybe Coutinho gets the central number 10 role and we need wide players. If Suarez goes we'll need another option upfront, if he doesn't we should be fine with the striker options.

I understand the point about paying less, but it is hard to know who we need until we know whether Suarez is going or staying.

At the end of last season would you have been happy if someone told you Toure would be a starter fro us in the coming season?

Injury Prone Agger + Last Legs Toure + Unproven Wisdom + Martin "doesn't get the system" Skrtel = Recipe for . . .

We need to buy class to play alongside class not constantly swapping it. Its almost like we're delighted to be were we are. Meanwhile our CEO is having a ball out east living his dream I ought a break his shit.

Exactly. We need to be building , not constantly replacing. Otherwise you don't move off square 1. And probably 12-18months down the line we'll be in the same position with Coutinho.

We haven't really spent a penny this summer with the money we have brought in. It's disgusting and alarming to say the least if we cannot do business until they sell Suarez.

Martin Kelly ?

He's unproven at centerback too. Only ever saw him play there once for the first team. In a friendly, alongside San Jose, he had several, to be expected, positional problems, none of which will have been worked on as he's been playing as a full back for so long.

Injury Prone Agger + Last Legs Toure + Unproven Wisdom + Martin "doesn't get the system" Skrtel = Recipe for . . .

We need to remember we have no European football this season. So don't need loads of options at centre back.

Agger might be injury prone, but last season they managed him perfectly. Toure last legs? He doesn't look like that, he still looks very fit. Wisdom will probably go on loan, but he has never let us down yet and Skrtel is a very good back up option to have. That's without mentioning Kelly or Coates (although Coates will probably leave).

I don't see it as an urgent area to improve.

At the end of last season would you have been happy if someone told you Toure would be a starter fro us in the coming season?

I wanted a dominant centre back in the air. Someone who would suit the system, compliment Agger and not get bullied by strikers like Benteke or Lukaku. I think Toure is that man, so yes I am very happy with Toure. He's not the long term answer, but we have plenty of players for the future, like Kelly or Wisdom for that position. What we need is someone to come into the team now and I am happy with Toure.

It seems that was the plan. Mignolet wasn't even badly needed with Reina but other starting players are. We haven't improved at all yet IMO. We'll be far weaker when Suarze goes. Then we'll need at least 3 class players. I just can't see it happening.

Me neither. To be honest, if Suarez goes I can't see us finishing higher than 6th.

We need to remember we have no European football this season. So don't need loads of options at centre back.

Agger might be injury prone, but last season they managed him perfectly. Toure last legs? He doesn't look like that, he still looks very fit. Wisdom will probably go on loan, but he has never let us down yet and Skrtel is a very good back up option to have. That's without mentioning Kelly or Coates (although Coates will probably leave).

I wanted a dominant centre back in the air. Someone who would suit the system, compliment Agger and not get bullied by strikers like Benteke or Lukaku. I think Toure is that man, so yes I am very happy with Toure. He's not the long term answer, but we have plenty of players for the future, like Kelly or Wisdom for that position. What we need is someone to come into the team now and I am happy with Toure.

I've never thought of Toure as dominant in the air. For some reason I have it in my head he isn't the best in the air. Can't think of any incidents at the minute but he hasn't played a lot for City recently.

Anyone else know what Toure's like in the air?

Toure's a midget with a good leap on him. The problem is all any big strong attacker has to do is stand on his shoulder, whenever set pieces come in and his leap is worth nothing.

Definitely not the man who's going to stop big powerful forwards bullying us.

I'm not looking for improvement, I'm looking for the ability to cope with a single injury. You have faith that Skrtel will suddenly work it out or that Wisdom will step it up if thrown in at the deep end. I think we need more than faith.

All we've done so far is replace our 3rd choice centerback.

I've never thought of Toure as dominant in the air. For some reason I have it in my head he isn't the best in the air. Can't think of any incidents at the minute but he hasn't played a lot for City recently.

Anyone else know what Toure's like in the air?

Have a look of this.

Toure last season and he looks dominant to me, still has some pace, is good on the ball, vocal and deals with Benteke / Lukaku, something our centre backs couldn't do last season. He seems perfect to partner Agger for me.

[YOUTUBE]GsicHgdmygY&noredirect=1[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not looking for improvement, I'm looking for the ability to cope with a single injury. You have faith that Skrtel will suddenly work it out or that Wisdom will step it up if thrown in at the deep end. I think we need more than faith.

All we've done so far is replace our 3rd choice centerback.

Carragher was first choice by the end and rightly so.

Skrtel was our best player the season before, you don't become a bad player over night. He's still a good defender, let's not forget that.

I think if this Greek guy, Papa was fully fit and not recovering from a serious knee injury, then we'd probably upgrade Skrtel for him. But they want £20 million and it is too much risk, so we are probably sticking with Skrtel for now and if Papa proves his fitness this season, then I could see us going back for him next season.

Just googled Toure weak in air and there's loads of results. As far back as 2008 and as recent as this summer.

Haha well you believe google and other peoples opinion. I'll back my own.

You can google Lampard being a better player than Gerrard, doesn't mean it is true.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Just googled Toure weak in air and there's loads of results. As far back as 2008 and as recent as this summer.

How many results, mate? I got 356,000,000 results for 'the Earth is flat' and '7,320,000' for 'the moon is made of cucumber'. I got 12,300,000 results for 'Paul McC is mental'. I'm not entirely sure your results are credible.

Haha well you believe google and other peoples opinion. I'll back my own.

You can google Lampard being a better player than Gerrard, doesn't mean it is true.

I don't believe anyone. I had it in my head he wasn't great in the air but wasn't sure why cos I haven't even seen him play in ages. Others seem to think he isn't great in the air, you think he is.

We'll see this season. Hope he's brilliant.

We're sitting on £20-23M. Why aren't we being linked to anyone? Why haven't any names been linked to us? Are all the agents on holiday with their phones somewhere out of reach? The Transfer Window Monkey needs to be fed, damn you!

Are we sitting on that though ,that is that 64 million dollar question I think we spent this years cash last january

I don't believe anyone. I had it in my head he wasn't great in the air but wasn't sure why cos I haven't even seen him play in ages. Others seem to think he isn't great in the air, you think he is.

We'll see this season. Hope he's brilliant.

I don't think he is a Sami Hyypia. But I do think he can compete in the air and won't be bullied.

Did you watch that video? He looks good didn't he!