You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

"Pepe Reina loaned to Napoli". Pretty obvious I would have thought. If most people on this thread can see what's wrong with that, I'm pretty sure you can as well.

you'd rather pay him 100k a week to play a few League Cup games and sit on his arse all season?

you'd rather pay him 100k a week to play a few League Cup games and sit on his arse all season?

You clearly want rid of Reina, we get it, it's written all over the Reina thread. Lets just leave it that rather than trying to defend the most retarded deal in football history.

The key to this loan deal is how Mignolet does.

If Mignolet is a success next season, then the loan deal is fine as we'll have made a massive saving on wages.

If Mignolet struggles next season then this deal could look silly.

So let me get this straight. People are ok if he gets sold but not if he goes on loan?

Nobody knows what the plan is. But doesn't stop the mong contingent here having a meltdown.

Its amazing the people who seem to hold the belief we've just suddenly turned round and said "fuck it lets loan Pepe out" its obvious we want rid but the right permanent deal isn't available from either the club or the players view (possibly both) so we've reached a compromise to limit the damage for all parties, we won't have an expensive player sat not playing and Pepe will himself feel he is too good for the bench so needs to go out and play

Still a fucking miles better than a loan out. I don't have much time for the owners' cost-cutting policy anyway, it's fine when it's the likes of Downing but not bloody Reina. We don't even know for sure Mignolet is even better than Reina and there's absolutely no reason why Reina couldn't have battled his way to a first team spot anyway. And, spare me the manager obviously thinks Mignolet should be the number one bullshit. The nutcase made Allen his most expensive signing last year, didn't stop him ending up placing Henderson ahead of him in the pecking order during the season.

Backing Reina, 30, he added: "But what is worth putting on record is that I'm not looking for another goalkeeper."

He added: "We have been linked with lots of goalkeepers. I have two very good goalkeepers - Pepe Reina and Brad Jones, who is a very loyal and capable number two.

"Any areas we look to improve will be elsewhere."

Rodgers acknowledged that Reina has had a "difficult couple of years" as he has struggled for form.

The keeper suffered a hamstring injury in October that kept him out for a month, but regained his place from Jones went he returned to fitness.

"Pepe Reina is clearly our number one goalkeeper, one of the best goalkeepers in the league," Rodgers said.

"He had a difficult couple of years but for me his best years are ahead of him and his commitment to the cause and what we are trying to achieve is 150%.

"Pepe has taken on board himself to do a lot of work to get in the best possible state he can be in physically and mentally and I am so happy with him.

"He is a great man and has been a wonderful player for me in this short period of time, on and off the field.

"I can see him starting to get back to the level he set here, which was a really high standard, and hopefully that continues."

he then followed this up with bullshit about 'consulting Pepe about signing Mignolet and how the competition would be good for him.'

Having spent a few minutes thinking about this (and noticing that it's mostly whoppers and people with an axe to grind who are getting worked up about it) I've decided that it's probably the best option. No point in us paying his full wages to sit on the bench all season. He obviously wants Barca, and that deal obviously isn't going to happen until next season now. It's not an ideal situation by any means but in the circumstances it makes sense.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
he then followed this up with bullshit about 'consulting Pepe about signing Mignolet and how the competition would be good for him.'

He said that before the January transfer window.

Rodgers is full of shit. It became plain obvious from the Andy Carroll episode from last season, which is the very reason he goes by the name of "the nutcase" in my books nowadays.

So let me get this straight. People are ok if he gets sold but not if he goes on loan?

Nobody knows what the plan is. But doesn't stop the mong contingent here having a meltdown.

Gets him off wage bill for a year, hasn't been as solid for the last two seasons, we'll get a price when he goes to Barcelona next season.

Its amazing the people who seem to hold the belief we've just suddenly turned round and said "fuck it lets loan Pepe out" its obvious we want rid but the right permanent deal isn't available from either the club or the players view (possibly both) so we've reached a compromise to limit the damage for all parties, we won't have an expensive player sat not playing and Pepe will himself feel he is too good for the bench so needs to go out and play

It's the middle of July, no sign of Jim White anywhere. Crazy loans like this happen when all options have been exhausted, not with 6 weeks left until the window closes. Financially I would say it makes more sense to release him, let Barca have him for free and they can tell Valdes to do one.

He said that before the January transfer window.

are you doing this on purpose?

from the 24th of June

“Pepe and I went out for a meal a couple of months before the end of the season and I told him exactly what we were going to do, which was to provide real competition in that area.

The fact we gave Jones a new contract tells me the plan was to replace reina all along. He's obviously waiting for Barcelona next season. Best of luck to him. He owes us nothing.

My thoughts exactly.

Pepe was angling for a move since we finished the season, but came unstuck when Valdes decided to stay for another year. We had a choice - use him as 2nd keeper (and pay his big wages), sell him to another club for the price we want (quite difficult as I don't see who's gonna take him) or loan him out.

The loan deal is a good compromise which suits both parties - if Mignolet turns out to be a disaster (highly unlikely as he was the best keeper in the league last season) or gets long-term injury, then we could always recall Pepe back - no biggie!

With the loan deal we take him off our books, keep his value decent and could call him back, if needed.

I also think that we may have put an option to do a permanent deal at an agreed price, if Pepe wants to stay there with Rafa (and his favoured 'keeper coach).

Win-win, so I don't see what the problem is really - apart from the resident drama queens who are in full force this evening, trying to get noticed.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
are you doing this on purpose?

Am I doing what on purpose? Taking your quote and adding the context of a date to it? Yes, I am. That's absolutely my purpose.

from the 24th of June

Yeah, that's over 6 months after Rodgers said he wasn't selling Reina and backed his under-performing player.

Rodgers is full of shit. It became plain obvious from the Andy Carroll episode from last season, which is the very reason he goes by the name of "the nutcase" in my books nowadays.

Erm...the problem was buying Carroll in the first place, not loaning him out!

It's the middle of July, no sign of Jim White anywhere. Crazy loans like this happen when all options have been exhausted, not with 6 weeks left until the window closes. Financially I would say it makes more sense to release him, let Barca have him for free and they can tell Valdes to do one.

We'll get a loan fee so releasing him is absurd.

Maybe Reina has been saying he's after a move for a few seasons and then this year said he defo fancied going when Barca came in for him.

Then maybe we got tired of him wanting to leave and said fine we'll get our replacement in.

Then Barca pulled the rug from under him and none of the big teams in Spain need a keeper, the rest can't afford him and he's fucked looking for somewhere to go.

He might not want to move to Napoli permanently but he'll want to play so he's got to go there as they're the only ones interested.

It's probably not just as simple as FSG loaning him out to get him off the wage bill because they're cheap

Did anyone actually believe that Reina would stay once we bought his replacement? Seriously? Far too many wankers on here just waiting to have a pop at the club.

Pepe wants to go, he's on daft wages, he's been a weak link for at least 2 years and is likely to go to Barcelona next season anyway. Grow up ffs

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Unless people know Pepe and how he reacted to the possibility of being number 2 to Mignolet, it's probably wise to hold off with the attacks on the manager.