You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

on one hand, he got Everton 6th place last year with not many good players, so what can he do with Man U.

On the other hand, I believe him to be shit and would love it of they were out of Europe at Christmas and out of top4 by May, with us in 1st spot. (I can dream)

I think he should have taken small steps working with the old coaching set up like Paisley, Fagan & Dalglish did with us, not what Souness did.

God i hope he is as good as Souness!

It still feels as though we're a year away from being a genuine top 4 team.

The signings we made sound good but apart from possibly Mignolet we haven't improved the starting eleven as yet.

Depends on whether the starting 11 includes Downing or not. If it doesn't include him, we've improved.

David Moyes has done exactly what I hoped he do. He's gone and done a ''Souness''. It's a recipe for disaster. It seems I've proved right, David Moyes is both predicatable and stupid.

In order to sustain success you do the complete opposite to what you need to do to create it. When you build an empire, you change everything, when you want to sustain it, you change nothing.

Moyes has managed to get it backwards. I cannot see Manchester United going the same way they did in 1969, but they will be on 20 titles for quite a while. It's our job and the Rodgers revolution to breeze past them and plonk ourselves back on our fucking perch.

David Moyes has done exactly what I hoped he do. He's gone and done a ''Souness''. It's a recipe for disaster. It seems I've proved right' date=' David Moyes is both predicatable and stupid.

In order to sustain success you do the complete opposite to what you need to do to create it. When you build an empire, you change everything, when you want to sustain it, you change nothing.

Moyes has managed to get it backwards. I cannot see Manchester United going the same way they did in 1969, but they will be on 20 titles for quite a while. It's our job and the Rodgers revolution to breeze past them and plonk ourselves back on our fucking perch.[/quote']

You are always wrong so now I'm worried.

David Moyes has done exactly what I hoped he do. He's gone and done a ''Souness''. It's a recipe for disaster. It seems I've proved right, David Moyes is both predicatable and stupid.

Moyes has managed to get it backwards. I cannot see Manchester United going the same way they did in 1969, but they will be on 20 titles for quite a while. It's our job and the Rodgers revolution to breeze past them and plonk ourselves back on our fucking perch.

Who the fuck are you?

BringBackBiscan?

Quite how you can say he's done a Souness is beyond me. Nearly all new managers bring their own men in the the previous regime departs, happens at every club up and down the leagues. He hasn't signed anyone yet, that I'm aware of and has yet to move any of the playing staff on.

Exactly. "Doing a Souness" is selling good players and replacing them with absolute tripe.

Now hopefully Moyes does this but seen as he hasn't signed or moved anyone on he has not done a souness.

Fingers crossed though.

Doing a '''Souness'' is blowing in like a hurricane when a stiff breeze is needed. Moyes is doing just that by changing the entire coaching staff. Normally a manager when he wants to build an empire changes his staff from the staff employed by his predecessor.

However when a manager wants to sustain it, nothing is changed. Moyes has made his first big mistake.

Doing a '''Souness'' is blowing in like a hurricane when a stiff breeze is needed. Moyes is doing just that by changing the entire coaching staff. Normally a manager when he wants to build an empire changes his staff from the staff employed by his predecessor.

However when a manager wants to sustain it, nothing is changed. Moyes has made his first big mistake.

I get the bit in bold and agree but I'm lost on the rest of it.

I think we need to consider the fact that Souness changed players too quickly. It's too early to say whether the evil empire has been compromised. Moyes has to do serious tinkering with the playing staff (as well as the coaching staff, which he's started) before we can say he's done a 'Souness'.

I get the bit in bold and agree but I'm lost on the rest of it.

Let me explain it to you in pre-school terms.

When Bob Paisley succeeded Bill Shankly in 1974, how much of the coaching staff did he change? He didn't change any to a large extent with the exception of appointing recently retired Roy Evans as reserve team manager. That's why he carried on where Shanks left off.

The empire didn't crash, it just got bigger and bigger. How many of the coaching staff did Joe Fagan change in 1983? He didn't change any. He too sustained success.

Kenny Dalglish didn't change any when he took over in 1985. He too sustained the success.

Moyes is doing a ''Souness'' by making too many changes.

Not keen on the Wanyama idea at all

I think a lot of people don't realise just how poor the SPL is but I'd say its League One standard at best Celtic aside and there is no way people would want to spend 12million on a player who was tearing League One up, not to mention Wanyama has the advantage of his teammates also being significantly better than the opposition even if they also happen to not be very good by our standard

thats not to say he isn't any good, he may well be but he hasn't played at anywhere near a high enough standard regularly to warrant a 12million fee, people will no doubt mention the Barca game but players in shit teams always raise their game on the big occasion, on that basis half the Mansfield and Oldham players could do a job for us. Might just be me but theres no way I'd ever pay more than a couple of million for someone in the SPL, just not worth the risk imo

Quite how you can say he's done a Souness is beyond me. Nearly all new managers bring their own men in the the previous regime departs, happens at every club up and down the leagues. He hasn't signed anyone yet, that I'm aware of and has yet to move any of the playing staff on.

I think your forgetting one key aspect here....

Most teams get new managers because the old one was shit and not winning anymore. So a revamp of coaching staff is needed but with United i think it's stupid to change so much right away.

There is a stick to beat him with if they start to fail, why do that?

It's almost like fergie got Moyes because he didn't want the next manager to be as successful as him, but that would mean he has a huge ego and we all know that isnt true.

Not keen on the Wanyama idea at all

I think a lot of people don't realise just how poor the SPL is but I'd say its League One standard at best Celtic aside and there is no way people would want to spend 12million on a player who was tearing League One up, not to mention Wanyama has the advantage of his teammates also being significantly better than the opposition even if they also happen to not be very good by our standard

thats not to say he isn't any good, he may well be but he hasn't played at anywhere near a high enough standard regularly to warrant a 12million fee, people will no doubt mention the Barca game but players in !@#$%^&* teams always raise their game on the big occasion, on that basis half the Mansfield and Oldham players could do a job for us. Might just be me but theres no way I'd ever pay more than a couple of million for someone in the SPL, just not worth the risk imo

COS have carried the same story/rumour. All the more reason for me to take the whole saga with a pinch of salt. But even if true, I must agree he is nowhere worth near that amount. He's is only 21 and with now experience at the highest level of football. 6 mil maybe.

When Bob Paisley succeeded Bill Shankly in 1974, how much of the coaching staff did he change? He didn't change any to a large extent with the exception of appointing recently retired Roy Evans as reserve team manager. That's why he carried on where Shanks left off.

The empire didn't crash, it just got bigger and bigger. How many of the coaching staff did Joe Fagan change in 1983? He didn't change any. He too sustained success.

Kenny Dalglish didn't change any when he took over in 1985. He too sustained the success.

Flying start for Moyes at Scum. I want him in fact to dismatle the entire Scum set up in order to put his own stamp on the club. Looking at his face, you could see how much he has already aged in the space of a month. Interesting times ahead for Man U.

Arsenal Sign FM Legend for free

Arsenal have signed 20-year-old French youth international striker Yaya Sanogo from Auxerre.

He joins the Premier League club after becoming a free agent when his contract with the Ligue 1 outfit expired.

Sanogo, who scored 11 goals in 24 appearances for Auxerre, is currently with France at the Fifa Under-20 World Cup in Turkey.

He scored twice in the group stages to help his side through to the last 16, where they face the host nation.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger said: "Sanogo is a good young signing for us.

"He has shown he has potential with his recent performances for Auxerre and also for the France Under-20 side.

"We are looking forward to Yaya joining us and continuing his promising development."

Sanogo joined Auxerre as a 14-year-old. The Gunners have not revealed the length of his contract.

You're not comparing like with like. Paisley was moving up within an organisation and keeping the people he'd known, trusted and worked with for decades with him. Moyes is moving to an entirely different club and is bringing the people he's known, trusted and worked with for years with him. They are two very situations and as such it is entirely reasonable the changes Moyes is making.

I think the people writing off Moyes as a guaranteed failure need to be careful what they wish for. He's been a regular top 7 finisher with Everton with a few recent 5ths and one year qualified them for the Champions League (yes yes yes, he never got into the 'league' part, blah blah blah..) by finishing 4h. He wasn't on the shoe-string budget some like to claim, but he did a good job. There is no guarantee he'll fall on his face at Man Utd.

You're not comparing like with like. Paisley was moving up within an organisation and keeping the people he'd known, trusted and worked with for decades with him. Moyes is moving to an entirely different club and is bringing the people he's known, trusted and worked with for years with him. They are two very situations and as such it is entirely reasonable the changes Moyes is making.

I think the people writing off Moyes as a guaranteed failure need to be careful what they wish for. He's been a regular top 7 finisher with Everton with a few recent 5ths and one year qualified them for the Champions League (yes yes yes, he never got into the 'league' part, blah blah blah..) by finishing 4h. He wasn't on the shoe-string budget some like to claim, but he did a good job. There is no guarantee he'll fall on his face at Man Utd.

Not guaranteed, but the prospect is delightful to entertain.

It would have been sensible for Moyes to keep the staff at United. They're a winning football team with a winning coaching team. Now they're the just the former. That's not to say it's a huge fuck up by Moyes, but it certainly give the opportunity for a huge fuck up. Which is brilliant really.

Let's be honest, if Moyes had gone there and kept the backroom staff then we'd all be slightly more 'worried' about it. What he's done gives us the small glimmer of hope that they're going to be shit next season.