You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

From the offal

Ian, we've just completed the signing of Luis Alberto, how happy are you that he is now a Liverpool player?

It's fantastic news. He's a player that Brendan identified very early on and the scouting team did a lot of work on watching him. After that the hard work started in terms of getting the deal together, both with his club and his agent. We're always pleased when that comes to fruition. He's a very exciting player and I know Brendan is very excited about it. So hopefully our fans can be too.

What will he bring to the club?

In the lead-up to the transfer window, Brendan made clear the positions he felt we needed to strengthen - and Luis was top of the list in terms of his ability and skills in the position he plays in. He brings all the attributes that the manager wanted for that position and we're very pleased we got the right deal at the right price for the player.

We've had a busy start to the transfer window so far - what does this say about the club and the fact that we are eager to secure our targets early on?

I think the praise goes to all those people in the background who do all the hard work on scouting and analysis - and also the manager himself. If we identify people early and we identify the positions early, then we can do the work early. And throughout this year we have done that; in the January window and in the summer. That will be our game for the future - to be more prepared and execute well. And I think today is a great example of that.

Quite astounding that he was 'top of the list'. I'd literally never heard of him. Lets hope he's as a good as Phillipe.

Read it again!?

"top of the list....IN THE POSITION HE PLAYS IN"

Why are you getting so het up? Im not saying that it was a bad thing, just that it was surprising because literally nobody knew about it (press wise) and we seemed to have scouted him intensively.

And thanks, I can read. Its still surprising.

I remember reading an excellent article some time back about one of the key statistics that had been identified as a predictor of future success as a top-level footballer by the new breed of "sabremetricians." The stat was the number of key passes (or assists, though this was less reliable) made by a player at a young age.

There was a long list of players who had averaged more than 2 (or maybe 2.5?) key passes/90 minutes in a (relatively) major professional league before their 21st birthday, and virtually all of them went on to be top players. Coutinho would most likely have figured highly on that list, and I would guess that Alberto with 17 assists would have had quite a few as well at age 20.

I can easily see why he would have been one to draw the scouts'/Brendan's eye with those numbers. He might represent a bit of a gamble but in my opinion at the price it's a good one.

I remember reading an excellent article some time back about one of the key statistics that had been identified as a predictor of future success as a top-level footballer by the new breed of "sabremetricians." The stat was the number of key passes (or assists, though this was less reliable) made by a player at a young age.

There was a long list of players who had averaged more than 2 (or maybe 2.5?) key passes/90 minutes in a (relatively) major professional league before their 21st birthday, and virtually all of them went on to be top players. Coutinho would most likely have figured highly on that list, and I would guess that Alberto with 17 assists would have had quite a few as well at age 20.

I can easily see why he would have been one to draw the scouts'/Brendan's eye with those numbers. He might represent a bit of a gamble but in my opinion at the price it's a good one.

What will really bake your brain is if this kids numbers are that good why the hell did Barcelona pass. Either they know something we don't or they have someone better from their own youth academy whose development they didn't want to hamper with Alberto?!

Fucking bastards anyway. Arshavin, Podolski, now Higuain? Has one of their scouts been checking my posts for the last few years and having a gamble? Fucking unbelievable, I wanted all three of those players to end up here.

Red - I believe that Arsenal have released Arshavin along with Denilson and Squillaci.

Would you say Arshavin was worth a go as a free transfer??

At the moment we're a mid-table Premiership club and have been for several seasons. We can't attract established top flight players without paying huge salaries.

I was talking to somebody before about this subject. If we go back only a couple of seasons ago, and we bought players for what we seem to be paying now ,or got players on free transfers we would be going crazy about it. The conclusion we came to is its because there not English and there also pretty much players nobody as really seen , but they look good on youtube etc.Apart from Kolo that is who we have all seen.

If Dan and Phillipe hadn't turned out to be as good as they have been , The whole fanbase would be going nuts now over the prices we are paying. The two biggest money signings bought under Brendan have so far been the worst.

I do wonder though if Luis does go will we pay the money for a biggish name player or buy somebody for small money and we haven't heard of.

I would say we are now seeing exactly what the owners originally said they would be doing when they first took over.

Have to say though I am looking forward to the coming season more than I have done for years.

fuck me sideways with a lollipop stick! were gonna have the youngest side in our history!!!! either that or were going all out for the u21 title!

Liverpool transfers: Cristian Tello for Pepe Reina swap with Barcelona is on the Reds' minds - Mirror Online

im pissing my pants with excitement for the coming season!

-------------Tello-----------Aspas----------Sturridge

--------Coutinho-------(This Miki Fella?)------Luis Albert

if we sign a top notch CDM and CB? stevie may actually get that premier league winners medal after all?

I was talking to somebody before about this subject. If we go back only a couple of seasons ago, and we bought players for what we seem to be paying now ,or got players on free transfers we would be going crazy about it. The conclusion we came to is its because there not English and there also pretty much players nobody as really seen , but they look good on youtube etc.Apart from Kolo that is who we have all seen.

If Dan and Phillipe hadn't turned out to be as good as they have been , The whole fanbase would be going nuts now over the prices we are paying. The two biggest money signings bought under Brendan have so far been the worst.

I do wonder though if Luis does go will we pay the money for a biggish name player or buy somebody for small money and we haven't heard of.

I would say we are now seeing exactly what the owners originally said they would be doing when they first took over.

Have to say though I am looking forward to the coming season more than I have done for years.

I'm actually just irrationally stressing about it.

I keep thinking we look like we're getting our shit together on and off the field thus that means I should be excited about next year.

Then I think, "Stop it you fucking idiot, you'll just go and jinx it".

fuck me sideways with a lollipop stick! were gonna have the youngest side in our history!!!! either that or were going all out for the u21 title!

Liverpool transfers: Cristian Tello for Pepe Reina swap with Barcelona is on the Reds' minds - Mirror Online

im pissing my pants with excitement for the coming season!

-------------Tello-----------Aspas----------Sturridge

--------Coutinho-------(This Miki Fella?)------Luis Albert

if we sign a top notch CDM and CB? stevie may actually get that premier league winners medal after all?

Whilst I admire your optimism you are batshit mental.

Guest San Don
Not Williams again. No thanks. I'm not for funding Laudrup's transfer demands and bringing in an inferior player to what we have, to boot.

Dont think there's any worry on that score. He's in the sundays talking about arse so either they are his preferred option or we've said we arent interested (thank god!).

-------------------------------------reina-----------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------Mignolet---------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Jones----------------------------------------------

GJ-----------------------Skrtel------------------Agger------------------------Enrique

Kelly--------------------Toure------------------Coates----------------------Robinson

Wisdom------------------Ilori----------------Papadopoulos---------------------------

Flanagan--------------Alderweild------------------------------------------------------

--------------------Gerrard----------------------Lucas------------------------------

------------------Henderson---------------------Allen-------------------------------

------------------Spearing-----------------------shelvey----------------------------

Downing---------------------------Suarez---------------------------------Coutinho

Atsu-----------------------------mkhitaryan---------------------------Luis Alberto

Suso------------------------------Aspas------------------------------------sterling

Tello---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------Sturridge-------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------Borini----------------------------------------------

probable outs:

coates

spearing

suarez

skrtel

reina

shelvey

probable loans:

suso

wisdom

flanagan

robinson

leaves us with:

Mignolet

Jones

GJ

Kelly

Toure

Agger

Ilori

Alderweild or papadopoulos (he's being linked with us again today)

Enrique

Gerrard

Lucas

Henderson

Allen

downing

atsu

Tello

mkhitaryan

Aspas

Coutinho

Luis Alberto

Sterling

Sturridge

Borini

take out Suarez, Reina, Skrtel and it doesn't look quite as strong.