You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

If i go through the squad,off the top of my head; Jones,carroll,assaidi,pacheco,coates,downing,spearing,lucas,wilson,(carra),Borini,yesil,Skrtel,Flanno(you have to say that glen j, wisdom,kelly and maybe ryan mc are ahead of him) can all go. Thats some clear out.

wanyama and Mc Carthy from reading are good starts. I wouldnt mind Ince, Lambert (before you slag me off,look at his record, esp on penos,and hes a red!.) but dream (realistic) signing Shane Long.

Out of Lucas Henderson and Allen, i'd only keep Henderson.

Lucas is not the player he was, and even then, he wasn't all that.

Not for very long anyway.

We need more balls in the middle, otherwise we will just get steam rollered again.

Im convinced we are going to sign Ashley Williams.

I think Allen deserves another season. Lucas will improve with a good pre season. I'd keep both and then re-evaluate Summer 2014.

We can't keep making big changes. The one central midfielder I'd sign would be someone more physical. They wouldn't be required in every game though.

Fucking hope we don't sign Williams.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
There is a bit of talk about Shaqiri either being loaned out or possibly even sold. Surely that would be worth a look.

As somebody who really wanted him first around, I'd love to go for him.

If West ham want Carroll we should ask them to swap for Diame. My preference would be to keep Carroll and sign Wanyama but if we are serious about Carroll going then Diame would be a great swap.

West ham wont pay 12m+ straight off, it will be installments i'd imagine so why not ask for Diame? Might not play every game but could do a job. he was boss against us at Anfield.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Pearce has consistently said 20-25 mill plus sales. Hope that is just the figure they are putting out to try and keep prices down.

£25m with an extra from selling some of Carroll (12m), Coates (4m), Skrtel (10m) and Reina (10m), would give us a really hefty kitty. Might even get another 10m from Downing. Could well see us with 50-55m to spend after fees and all that business.

Was not the price for Carroll agreed at £17m and 2m up front if they stayed up?

I suppose the deal might not have been set in stone, but if we get anything over £12m for him id be alright with it. I expect other players to leave as well which should accumulate to £20 or so million. So i imagined we'll land on somewhere around £50m. Which really should get us some decent signings.

£25m with an extra from selling some of Carroll (12m)' date=' Coates (4m), Skrtel (10m) and Reina (10m), would give us a really hefty kitty. Might even get another 10m from Downing. Could well see us with 50-55m to spend after fees and all that business.[/quote']

This sounds terrible, though. 55m to replace a goalkeeper, two/three defenders, bring in a forward and a central midfielder?

That's 5m per player (if we only bring in two defenders and promote wisdom), which is fuck all.

I think £20-25m is a fair starting point, Carroll and Spearing would bring that up to £40m without even touching this seasons squad. I would prefer to spend £40m on the best 2 defenders we can get rather than trying to make make it spread to 4 or 5 players.

This sounds terrible, though. 55m to replace a goalkeeper, two/three defenders, bring in a forward and a central midfielder?

That's 5m per player (if we only bring in two defenders and promote wisdom), which is fuck all.

Erm, wouldn't that make it in excess of £10M per player?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I was basing it on selling some of them. If we sell them all, it'll obviously be more. Just have to wait to see what happens, I guess.

Did they teach you to count to potato in maths class?

I was basing it on selling some of them. If we sell them all' date=' it'll obviously be more. Just have to wait to see what happens, I guess.[/quote']

Yeah mate - well, I miscalculated anyway! We'd have about 10m to spend on each replacement which certainly looks less bleak.

I think we will see a fair few shipped out and will get a decent amount for them. We have to replace them though - the reason why this season was so dire is because we failed to do that with Kuyt, Bellamy and Maxi last summer.

Hopefully we invest well.

I think £20-25m is a fair starting point' date=' Carroll and Spearing would bring that up to £40m without even touching this seasons squad. I would prefer to spend £40m on the best 2 defenders we can get rather than trying to make make it spread to 4 or 5 players.[/quote']

That's true - I think we spent the Carroll money in January if I'm honest though.

That is my primary worry, too. Two great players will always do more for us than four decent ones. After Coutinho and Sturridge, though, I'm more confident we'll spend well.

The big advantage this year is that with the likes of Jones, Johnson, Wisdom, Henderson, Gerrard, Allen, Downing, Borini(?) Sturridge, and a few others coming through the ranks, there is no need for us to after over-priced English players any more.

If Eriksen is available for £15m surely it's a no brainer? Just hope we can get roughly that amount for Carroll. Find a good replacement for Reina (if we assume it's a done deal?) for what we get from the sale and see what we can raise from the likes of Coates, Assaidi, Spearing. I'd be reluctant to let Skrtel go if it's true about Reina. Do we want a new GK AND 2 new CBs?

The big advantage this year is that with the likes of Jones, Johnson, Wisdom, Henderson, Gerrard, Allen, Downing, Borini(?) Sturridge, and a few others coming through the ranks, there is no need for us to after over-priced English players any more.

If Eriksen is available for £15m surely it's a no brainer? Just hope we can get roughly that amount for Carroll. Find a good replacement for Reina (if we assume it's a done deal?) for what we get from the sale and see what we can raise from the likes of Coates, Assaidi, Spearing. I'd be reluctant to let Skrtel go if it's true about Reina. Do we want a new GK AND 2 new CBs?

Depends, Rodgers clearing doesn't rate Skrtel, so why keep a CB that could be worth a few quid to a rich Russian side, only to use him as an absolute last resort?

CM - 20 million

CB - 15 million

GK - 12 million

Those are the three that we need for the first XI, so that's where I'd spend the money. 8 million to buy a backup CB and another forward? It's not like it's bucketloads, but we're talking about the 4th choice CB here and probably a 5th or 6th choice forward, so we can afford to spend 3-4 million on each and get young players with a bit of potential.

We're not Man City - I don't know what people expect this summer, really.

Depends' date=' Rodgers clearing doesn't rate Skrtel, so why keep a CB that could be worth a few quid to a rich Russian side, only to use him as an absolute last resort?[/quote']

I still think it's a risk. Either that or keep Coates. To lose 3 CBs and your GK is a big transition. Do we really want another season of transition?

I still think it's a risk. Either that or keep Coates. To lose 3 CBs and your GK is a big transition. Do we really want another season of transition?

It's definitely a risk, i get that, but i just think it'll be something of a transition anyway, even if those two are kept.

Skrtel, if he stays, seems to be so out of favour that he'd probably be below any new CB in the pecking order. So his presence won't change much other than we'll have to find the £10m his sale would've brought in from elsewhere.

Coates looks like he needs games, and being used as a sub for half a dozen outings a season isn't going to help. He either needs to be played, get loaned out or sold. I'd prefer a loan, but i can understand the argument for a sale to raise cash for someone the manager prefers.

Diame at 3,5m is a no-brainer... If Newcastle want Carroll a swap for Ben Arfa should be on the cards... Mertens from PSV is the type of player we really could benefit from getting! My ideal playmaker would be Isco, but given the ridiculous prices being quoted I'd be very happy if we get Eriksen... In terms of CB's a young one in addition to alderweireld would go a long way! If there is truth to the Digne rumors I'd be happy for him to give Erique a run for the LB spot... Clasie at Feyenoord would be a great buy to give Lucas some much needed competition... In terms of goals we could get Remy at a decent price, or maybe Heung-min at HSV could be worth pursuing...

I'd keep Reina and Skrtel, but sell;

Downing

Carroll

Assaidi

Spearing

Flanagan

Coates

Pacheco

Uncertain about Shelvey, Borini and Allen, but especially Shelvey would benefit from another loan...

The amount of money given to Rodgers from FSG will have a big say in how this all connects....