You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Downing reborn?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Downing reborn?

• Yes, he has improve and we need to keep him.
    • No, he is still an average player and we can find better.
    • We need to evaluate him at the end of the season and take it from there.

Bollocks. He was our best player.

This fascination with a players price tag is a fuckin killer.

Whatever club he's been at he's always improved in the 2nd season.

At the moment attacking wise the balance of the team is good and Downing offers a lot to that, links up well with Johnson and can play both sides.

His ball to Suarez yesterday was superb.

Well yeah, because we paid 20 million quid for him people expect to see someone good.

I don't think Downing has done much differently recently - he's not an attacking threat, won't score many goals, but is a decent passer and can put in a good cross. On rare occasions, normally against lower league opposition, he'll have a decent crack from outside the box.

Since we got Sturridge to add more cutting edge to the attack, Downing isn't being relied upon to deliver as much so his neat and tidy no risk game fits the team a little better.

And people used to call Graeme Hick a flat track bully ?

Imagine being in the trenches with old Stewie, the whistle blows and a thousand Teutonic Twats come steaming straight at you with bloodthirsty bayonets drawn. That cunt would have pissed and shit himself before he'd even crossed the fucking channel.

Yellow fucking coward.

He was our best player when we didn't score and we lost at home to shite?

Excellent.

Exactly the type of attacker we need.

Suarez and Gerrard were allowed to have a bad day considering the way they've been playing recently. We needed another player to step up - and this was his chance. Yet he blew it. Still he was our best player i suppose.

You were wrong. Picking his best game for us where he was better than both of our best players was weird. You could've picked 20 other games.

He's improved from quivering spastic to a six out of ten player in probably two thirds of our games. Which still isn't anywhere near good enough for someone playing in our front three.

Fuck him off to Stoke in the summer for £6m/£7m. Thank fuck he's got a British passport, or he'd be worth about £500k.

Well yeah, because we paid 20 million quid for him people expect to see someone good.

We've had 18 months to digest the fact that Aston Villa saw us coming.

He's a player who needs a season to settle in. He was never gonna be afforded such grace here but still it's been the case wherever he's played. He's a plain Jane and I'd love to still live in that world where we once had a chance of signing the likes of Silva and Mata.

His performances have been nowhere near as bad as people like to make out and this season he has improved. He will never justify the price tag but right now he is functional as to how we want to attack. He's created plenty of chances whilst also doing a job for the team and dare I say his experience has been vital when the likes of Sterling, Suso and Wisdom have been used.

Downing or Ashley Young? One joins a winning team the other joins a club on the slide.

People seriously need to get out of the habit of scapegoating players as it's shit to read and even shitter to hear at the match. The likes of Downing, Henderson, Lucas, Allen and Borini are not the issue. Players will be signed, some will be good, some bad. The problem is when you've got a set of owners and a set of supporters still trying to adjust to our current position as a club. It's a rock and hard place scenario which makes life that little more difficult for manager and players.

Lets see how the fans see his performances shall we?

He's our 13th best player this season. Which i reckon is probably about right. Seeing as he is an attacker, and he contributes virtually fuck all to the attack.

1. Suarez.......................8 MOM........3 2nd.......3 3rd...........52

2. Enrique......................3 MOM........3 2nd........1 3rd...........25

3. Sterling......................3 MOM.......3 2nd........1 3rd...........25

4. Gerrard......................2 MOM.......4 2nd.........3 3rd...........25

5. Johnson.....................2 MOM.......4 2nd.........1 3rd...........23

6. Allen..........................3 MOM.......1 2nd........4 3rd...........22

7. Shelvey.....................1 MOM.......3 2nd.........3 3rd...........17

8. Skrtel.........................1 MOM.......3 2nd..........2 3rd..........16

9. Jones.........................2 MOM........2 3rd.........4 CS...........14

10.Agger........................1 MOM........1 2nd........4 3rd............12

11.Reina........................1 MOM........2 3rd.........10 CS...........12

12.Henderson.................3 2nd.........2 3rd.............................11

13.Downing.....................2 MOM.......1 3rd.............................11

14.Lucas........................1 MOM........1 2nd.......1 3rd.............9

15.Sturridge....................1 MOM........1 2nd.........................8

This should put an end to this perceived 'witch hunt' which some people think is in operation against Mr Downing. This man of the match game is voted for by supporters of LFC across numerous fan sites.

How on earth is Sterling third?

He is average.

This is his best period at the club and he is still hardly getting any assists or goals.

He works hard, he keeps the ball, at times he can supply the odd good cross. But 95% of the time he is not good enough and doesn't have enough threat or final product which we need from one of our attacking players.

Sell in the summer, like we should have done last summer.

How on earth is Sterling third?

He started the season really well.

He has also done well this season considering his age. He needs to improve and develop, but he has played a lot of games for the first team which is rare for someone his age.

He does contribute when the team is playing well but does fuck all when we're playing poorly. He hides when the going gets a bit tough and that not really what you want from a senior player.

I'd get rid because you can't have a career here from piggybacking on the rest of the teams' good performances.

Flat. Track. Bully. When he starts doing shit like that at Old Trafford and the like, I'll change my opinion. Problem is, at near 30 years old, he is pretty much all he is ever going to be, which still isn't enough for this club to be serious about real progress in the coming few seasons.

For that reason, I'm out.

We've had 18 months to digest the fact that Aston Villa saw us coming.

He's a player who needs a season to settle in. He was never gonna be afforded such grace here but still it's been the case wherever he's played. He's a plain Jane and I'd love to still live in that world where we once had a chance of signing the likes of Silva and Mata.

His performances have been nowhere near as bad as people like to make out and this season he has improved. He will never justify the price tag but right now he is functional as to how we want to attack. He's created plenty of chances whilst also doing a job for the team and dare I say his experience has been vital when the likes of Sterling, Suso and Wisdom have been used.

Downing or Ashley Young? One joins a winning team the other joins a club on the slide.

People seriously need to get out of the habit of scapegoating players as it's shit to read and even shitter to hear at the match. The likes of Downing, Henderson, Lucas, Allen and Borini are not the issue. Players will be signed, some will be good, some bad. The problem is when you've got a set of owners and a set of supporters still trying to adjust to our current position as a club. It's a rock and hard place scenario which makes life that little more difficult for manager and players.

He'd only had one transfer before so to say that he's always needed a season to settle in wherever he's played is pushing things a bit for me.

People scapegoat Downing because he's an attacking player who never shows the confidence to attack. He is mediocre always has been always will be.

I would suggest the fans and the owners are spot on in their appraisal of the position the club is in. Wasting 20 million quid on players like Downing isn't going to improve our position and is the kind of behaviour that will lead to further casting us adrift from where we want to be. That is why people are so angry about it, and why Downing stirs the emotions.

It's not his fault, but it is still his fault.

Interesting to see Allen in 6th on that MOM list. I hope the lad finds some confidence cause he can be a cracking player for us

It would help if we stopped playing him as a defensive midfielder, a role he is not suited to play.