You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Downing reborn?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Downing reborn?

• Yes, he has improve and we need to keep him.
    • No, he is still an average player and we can find better.
    • We need to evaluate him at the end of the season and take it from there.

1 goal.

Improvement eh.

I will be more likely to change my opinion when I see him affecting the outcome of a match.

He basically is 1 of a front 3 right now, and the other 2 are ridiculously involved in things. You have to ask why he seems to be the odd one out.

How people can suggest he's been our best player recently, considering how Sturrige has been performing, is as wrong as it is bizarre.

The one thing i have noticed about Downing (and you`ll never see it on the tele) is his positional play.I wondered why Enrique had a dip last year and why Johnson was so bad against West Brom, it is Downing .He has`nt got a clue how to play with an attacking fullback .Nine times out of ten he will get in the way.In the first twenty minutes on sunday he must have fucked up two or three runs by Johnson by his bad positioning. Just sit for a minute when you are at the match and watch him off the ball you`ll see what i mean.No for me he never will be Liverpool class.

1 goal.

Improvement eh.

I will be more likely to change my opinion when I see him affecting the outcome of a match.

He basically is 1 of a front 3 right now, and the other 2 are ridiculously involved in things. You have to ask why he seems to be the odd one out.

How people can suggest he's been our best player recently, considering how Sturrige has been performing, is as wrong as it is bizarre.

Is right.

Downing has been five shades of mediocre throughout his whole tenure. He has been better lately, but he really still is mediocre. If we have any pretensions of making the CL ever again, it will not be done with players of Downing's calibre. Of course you don't build a team full of superstars, but the bits and pieces players have got to bring something to the table and Downing brings nothing of any note.

Sell him and buy Messi.

JD

Well, since the Oldham FA Cup game, Morse just updated the standings and it's now:

Suarez

Gerrard

Enrique

With Sterling 4th and dropping even further since then presumably...

Henderson had a better season than Sterling? I think that's debateable

The points system means that someone could be the 4th best player in every single game and have less points than someone that was 3rd best in one game and the worst on the pitch for every single other.

So a player in 6th could easily have had a better season than one in 4th, etc.

Innit.

Sorry, no thank you. Almost two seasons and one goal to show for it?

Our best player recently? HA!!

So I guess Gerrard, Sturridge and Suarez dont count?

Name one first team winger, that plays for a side in the top half of the table thats less of an attacking threat than Downing.

He can shush himself up.

Henderson had a better season than Sterling? I think that's debateable

Not if you're objective. He's been more effective with half the starts Sterling has had. Raheem rightly gets more leeway because of his tender years, but after a good start he's gone badly off the boil. Henderson on the other hand has forced himself into Rodgers plans, ousted his key purchase from the summer, and made himself a key part of the midfield. Enrique is also a good shout for that third spot, but not Sterling. Perhaps next season.

The points system means that someone could be the 4th best player in every single game and have less points than someone that was 3rd best in one game and the worst on the pitch for every single other.

So a player in 6th could easily have had a better season than one in 4th, etc.

Innit.

I've already acknowledged the flaws in the weighting of the system... I'm just saying that if you asked people for their top 3 based on their memory (which is also flawed as we tend to remember more recent good performances) then the list would be quite similar.

people seem to be going overboard either way on Downing, I hated the sight of him being on the pitch as much as anyone up til recently but since Christmas I think in most home games in particular he has been pretty good, nowhere near as good or as bad as some are making out on here, I'd still much rather have someone better but at least he is actually offering something now

I'd have Diuof, El Zhar, Pennant or Oscar Pistrious (without the metal) in the team before Downing. He has as much ability as Antonio Valencia, Angel Di Maria and Aaron Lennon, give him Dirk Kuyts soul and you would have a top player, instead he was born without a spine and you can't grow one of them.

The one thing i have noticed about Downing (and you`ll never see it on the tele) is his positional play.I wondered why Enrique had a dip last year and why Johnson was so bad against West Brom, it is Downing .He has`nt got a clue how to play with an attacking fullback .Nine times out of ten he will get in the way.In the first twenty minutes on sunday he must have fucked up two or three runs by Johnson by his bad positioning. Just sit for a minute when you are at the match and watch him off the ball you`ll see what i mean.No for me he never will be Liverpool class.

You can see it on the telly. It was pointed out within 4 games of him joining us. To be fair he's less obviously clueless about it than he was way back then.

I disagree - his positional play is one of his strengths!

It takes an exceptional understanding of the game to avoid getting passed to in a position where you can't just give it straight back! If his positional play wasn't any good - he would probably be involved far more than he is!

He's deffo improved in terms of what he offers the team and is in the side on merit right now. He remains technically adept with good touch, passing and ball retention, decent pace, a good cross and a passable shot on him.

However, he remains a complete and utter shithouse who bottles one on ones at either end, doesn't contribute nearly enough in terms of goals and assists, and will always have the potential to let us down.

For the money he's on, we should get rid and bring in someone with a set of fucking plums on him, unlike this spineless, shushing cunt.