You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Downing reborn?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Downing reborn?

• Yes, he has improve and we need to keep him.
    • No, he is still an average player and we can find better.
    • We need to evaluate him at the end of the season and take it from there.

This should put an end to this perceived 'witch hunt' which some people think is in operation against Mr Downing. This man of the match game is voted for by supporters of LFC across numerous fan sites.

There's nothing more dissapointing in football than a shit £20 million winger.

Just not buying this whole massive improvement theory at all. A few games where he's not been utter shite doesn't mean he's turned around his liverpool career and deserves to stay. Looks quite good sometimes when the team is playing well and winning comfortably but not one single time has he done something to turn a tight league game in our favour. It's insulting to Henderson and Enrique and the amount they have improved in the last couple of months to talk about Downing in the same way. Really hope we get rid at the end of the season. Some midtable team somewhere will surely be daft enough to want him and that's very much his level.

He is clearly fighting for his life. Much as I apprecitate his effort I'm convinced he will never be Liverpool class in a million years no matter how hard he tries; for me he should be released end of season. Sell him, Borini and Allen as well, and get one forward and a strong defensive midfielder, someone who will eventually replace Stevie.

He has improved and greatly but he has only gone from dog shite to average. The position that he plays needs to be occupied by somebody that can tear shit out of defences and continuously put them on the back foot. I believe Coutinho will prove a far more devastating player for us at less than half the price than Downing ever could. I don't hate him I think he lacks mental strength. Didn't he say a bit ago he was dreading games because of the press response about his performance? That bear in mind is before kick off so I just don't see the required mental strength in him. I think you need cocky wingers who let the defence know they will come at them, can and probably will beat them. If we are to become brutal we must put aside our weaknesses, he is not the only one we have but he is a weakness and we can find a lot better really quite easily.

He's been very decent over the last few months with the exception of his Old Trafford 'performance'.

I'd have to see who we bring in over the summer before I'd be happy to let him go, which is a pretty vast improvement on how I looked on him before.

In reality though, he'll be out the door because of his age and our policy on the same given that he's not one of our top few players.

Fair dues to him though, he's showed more in recent times than I thought he had. Just a shame he didn't/couldn't produce it prior to this.

He was tripe against West Brom when we needed a senior player to do something a week ago

Bollocks. He was our best player.

This fascination with a players price tag is a fuckin killer.

Whatever club he's been at he's always improved in the 2nd season.

At the moment attacking wise the balance of the team is good and Downing offers a lot to that, links up well with Johnson and can play both sides.

His ball to Suarez yesterday was superb.

He was excellent against west brom and very good against Swansea anyone who denies that is blinded by hatred.

He is certainly a good player for the squad and those that want him gone need to consider the fact we would be getting a low fee and paying most his wages, in these circumstances I would rather keep him as as I said he is a good squad player.

• Downvote 1

And he's not a squad player. He's a first teamer and to be in the team you need to contribute.

To my knowledge he still has 1 fucking goal in his entire league career with us.

What I deem as acceptable is clearly different to some people and explains very well our current league position.

He was excellent against west brom and very good against Swansea anyone who denies that is blinded by hatred.

He is certainly a good player for the squad and those that want him gone need to consider the fact we would be getting a low fee and paying most his wages, in these circumstances I would rather keep him as as I said he is a good squad player.

excellent against west brom? What you think constitutes an excellent performance differs massively from me.

Did he get an assist. NO

Did he score? NO

He had a couple of shots took on the full back a bit and worked hard. That is the fuckin MINIMUM I would expect from an attacking player in our team.

Excellent my arse.