You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can't see him leaving in the summer, probably not the following January depending on how the season is going. After that it will all depend on where we are as a club, if we're in the Champions League and we look like challenging for honours he'll probably stay, if we're languishing in seventh place, well he'll be off and who could blame him.

I don't think he'll ever play for another English club after all the shite that's been leveled at him, can see him ultimately ending up at Real.

'runs down blind alleys with his head down' I think your talking about Milan Baros there not Louis Suarez. Louis Suarez is one of the most aware strikers / no.10 I have ever seen, he definitely does not run down blind alleys. Of course he would fit at Barca he is the player Barca thought Alex Sanchez would be.

If Louis had to go to barca I would take Alex Sanchez plus 40m no less.

No, I'm talking about Luis Suarez.

He runs down 'blind alleys' on purpose. As I said in my post, it's not a bad thing. He plays the game of chance and often wins (because he is so good).

He really isn't a Barcelona player - not because he isn't good enough but because he just isn't the right kind, unless they try to accomodate him. When you're system has won you the CL and La Liga consistently, and its suited to accomodate Messi, I doubt they'd do that.

No, I'm talking about Luis Suarez.

He runs down 'blind alleys' on purpose. As I said in my post, it's not a bad thing. He plays the game of chance and often wins (because he is so good).

He really isn't a Barcelona player - not because he isn't good enough but because he just isn't the right kind, unless they try to accomodate him. When you're system has won you the CL and La Liga consistently, and its suited to accomodate Messi, I doubt they'd do that.

I personally think he is more a Barca type of player than a Real one to be honest.

Though I also feel Barcas domination could be slowly dwindling.

They need to sort that defence out as teams have latched on to the fact there not hard to score against if you can pressure them.

The Spanish sides now seem to defend in numbers and not put three on Messi.

There sitting back and letting them run at them and it seems to be working.

The type of player Luis is would be the type of player they need for getting through.

Just my thoughts on it.

Prolific Luis Suarez nets Liverpool pay rise

LUIS SUAREZ has been rewarded for his scintillating displays by being catapulted among Liverpool’s highest wage earners as the club implement their policy of new, incentive-based contracts.

The Uruguayan striker only signed a new deal last summer that doubled his wages to £80,000 a week, but he has since triggered another hefty increase, which has seen his pay rocket to about £120,000 a week.

Suarez, whose scoring exploits make him a leading contender for the Player of the Year awards, has indicated he will remain on Merseyside next season and Liverpool will continue to reward him the longer he stays put.

Club officials believe that if they are successful on the pitch as well in the future, they can continue to head off interest from Europe’s elite in a player whose exceptional talents have brought him admiring glances.

All contracts now offered by Liverpool contain appearance-related bonuses.

Suarez’s tally for the season stands at 28 in all competitions and he has now scored 49 goals in 90 games for the club.

Prolific Luis Suarez nets Liverpool pay rise | Football | Sport | Daily Express

I too think he will remain here next season.

Much beyond that depends upon FSG. Are they prepared to bankroll more signings for a top four challenge? If they are, retaining him is paramount, if not, it is better for them to cash in the chips now as forwards scoring records , and value, can vary wildly.

Suarez: I won't reveal my target - Liverpool FC

Luis Suarez was today presented with a special accolade from the Barclays Premier League after becoming the first player in the division to reach the 20-goal mark – though he won't be revealing what tally he hopes to end 2012-13 with.

The Uruguayan catapulted himself to the pinnacle of the leading goalscorers' chart after his hat-trick at Wigan Athletic last weekend took his tally to 21 in the league.

Overall, he has 28 in 38 appearances for Liverpool so far this season -but he modestly attributes that to the form of the team as a whole.

Suarez said: "I don't know if I am in the very best scoring form of my life, but certainly I am enjoying a bit of what every striker needs and that is a little bit of luck.

"Last season, chances weren't going in, whereas this year they are.

"You have to work hard as a striker to get into the right positions and anticipate situations - that's important, too.

"It's also evidence the team are working well and moving in the right direction as a whole - but at the same time, it is nice as a player to receive personal recognition because it means you're doing a good job."

With 10 games to go, Suarez's end-of-season tally is likely to surpass the 30-goal barrier - but has he set himself any targets?

"I do set myself targets, but as a striker I like to keep them to myself," he said. "I'll never reveal what my actual goal scoring target is, but I have set myself a target."

The Suarez showThe video you selected is only available to LFCTV Online members. You are now watching our Preview video, login or click here to sign up.

Injuries to his teammates have meant Suarez has led Liverpool's line on his own for much of the season, until the arrival of Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho in January.

The No.7 is full of praise for the impact the duo have made in their short time at Anfield.

"Things have been going really well with Daniel, but not only him - there's also Philippe," he said. "They have both brought something and maybe given us an extra cutting edge. They are players who can make a difference in a game, so it's been nice to link up with them.

"The lads who were here before their arrival were doing a fantastic job, but now we have more options as a team."

Next up for Suarez and co is a visit from Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday - a chance for Liverpool to bolster their hopes of mounting a late challenge for the top four, according to the 26-year-old.

He said: "We've been in good form recently and it's a good opportunity to reduce the gap between ourselves and Spurs.

"There is a slight chance we can make Champions League football - and if we want to do that, this is the sort of game we need to win."

I love the way FSG have arranged his contract. It makes perfect sense for all concerned, pay the man a nice wedge and if he does what he's supposed to then he gets an massive bonus. I wonder when this new scheme was introduced, seeing as he signed his contract extension in the summer I can only hope than Allen, Borini, Couthinio and Sturridge are on similarly incentivised contracts. Same with the manager, I've always said that a manager shouldn't be paid off for failing, between Rafa, Roy and Kenny we have parted with the guts of 20m, hopefully Rodgers contract states that if we finish below X after Y amount of years then you walk with 2 weeks wages, neither party could say that was unfair.

This is spot on by Barrett.

Terry won PFA award. So why shouldn’t Suarez?

Tony Barrett

March 08 2013 12:03PM

The big problem with the PFA Player of the Year Award is that there are no criteria for it and as such no definitive way of determining what a footballer has to do to deserve it. There is a clue in its title, of course, with the obvious inference to be drawn being that the prestigious accolade should go to the best footballer in a particular year, but what that actually means comes down to personal opinion.

Is it the player who has shown the most talent or is it the one who has made the biggest difference in the games that matter most? Is it about inspiring collective success or shining as an individual in a team sport? Does being first among equals with the champions-elect carry greater weight than almost single-handedly making a comparatively ordinary team less ordinary?

The list of previous winners suggests that no one actually knows. The award is a moveable feast with the reasons for success often varying from one year to the next and sometimes having no rhyme nor reason. How else can David Ginola’s triumph in 1999, the year that Manchester United won the treble, be explained unless it is accepted that there is an element of randomness to the selection process?

“I understand that concern but it’s not a team competition,” PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor once said. “It’s nothing to do with who has won the Premier League, the FA Cup or the Champions League. It’s simply the view of the fellow professionals on which player has had an outstanding season.”

In that respect, the PFA chief’s words are particularly relevant this year when a debate has raged about whether Luis Suarez would be a worthy recipient of the award. The argument against him is that morally it is hard for some to support the case of a player who has been involved in a number of high-profile controversies since joining Liverpool two years ago. Yet according to Taylor, there is no moral test involved, the only requirement of the winner is that he has enjoyed “an outstanding season”.

Suarez undoubtedly meets that admittedly limited criteria, as do several others including Robin van Persie, Gareth Bale, Michu, Juan Mata and Marouane Fellaini. From a purely football point of view, any of those six would be a worthy winner as they have all enjoyed brilliant seasons and everyone will have a personal favourite depending on the team that they support and the type of player they most enjoy watching. There are no right or wrong answers. In this case, beauty is most definitely in the eye of the beholder.

Suarez, though, appears to be operating at a disadvantage to his rivals. The negative publicity that continues to surround the Uruguayan, some of it justified and some of it not, means that since as far back as November, Suarez’s rap sheet has been regularly presented as a list of reasons why he lacks the morality to be crowned footballer of the year.

This week, John Aldridge even went as far as to claim that Suarez will be denied both the PFA and Football Writers awards that the former Liverpool forward firmly believes his successor deserves. “Suarez may well land the Golden Boot but he’s got no chance of getting either the PFA or FWA Player of the Year awards,” Aldridge said. ”Don’t get me wrong, he should be the winner as he’s been tremendous.

“If it’s judged solely on what he’s done on the pitch then he would sweep the board. But because of the other stuff that’s gone on and the way he’s portrayed by sections of the media he won’t get the votes. People talk and write about what Suarez is like when they have never even met the boy. Anyone who has met him will tell you he’s as nice a fella as you could wish to meet. Sadly, there’s an agenda against him and that will cost him.”

After Suarez’s hat-trick against Wigan Athletic made him the Premier League’s top scorer, both Brendan Rodgers and Stewart Downing expressed similar concerns about whether the 26-year-old would be judged on his talent or his behaviour. It is a recurring theme as Suarez’s detractors claim that putting him on a pedestal would set the wrong example and his devotees, like Downing, retort that it “should only be judged on the field”.

That the list of previous winners includes John Terry is an inconvenience to those who would like to see Suarez denied the award. By the time the Chelsea captain was crowned the Premier League’s best footballer in 2005 (and rightly so in my opinion) he had mocked American tourists in the aftermath of 9/11, had a confrontation with a nightclub doorman and urinated into a pint glass. A paragon of virtue? No. An outstanding footballer? Unquestionably, yes.

Those who voted for Terry that year presumably did so on the basis that he was the best performing player in the best team. Had they stopped to consider whether the centre back was the best available example for the nation’s children then the outcome would probably have been different. They didn’t and there is no reason why Suarez should not be judged in the same manner.

If he has been English football’s outstanding performer in the view of his peers then he should win the award. If he hasn’t, then someone else should. It really should be that simple.

For what it’s worth – and it’s not worth much seeing as the destination of the award will be decided by professional footballers – I would opt for Robin van Persie as, like Terry, he has been the best player for the champions-elect and he, more than anyone else, has made the difference.

The Manchester United forward would be a worthy winner, as would Bale. So too, though, would Suarez and his chances should not be undermined by anything other than the standard of his performances on the pitch. Anything else just opens up a moral maze that the PFA award and its competitors and previous winners could do without.

He'll be here next season, I'm sure the £40m+ bids will come in over the summer and I don't think the owners would have the balls to take the money. If we don't get 4th next season then I reckon he'll be off. Really can't see him playing for another Premiership club, but after Torres, it's never say never.

does torres actually play for another club????

If Suarez does want to leave in summer then we should be demanding 60 million minimum for him, given that Torres went for 50 million, I would want us to get nearer 70 million to be honest as he is 3rd behind Messi and Ronaldo in my opinion.

If we do get 60 million I would want all of that to be invested in first team plus whatever else the owners are going to spend, maybe then it wouldn't be so bad if we could get 3 quality players in his place , although of course I would prefer him to stay as you never know how other players will turn out.

agreed with the only behind Messi & Ronaldo with regards to WORLDS best.

I see he is awarded with accolade for being first PL player to get 20 PL goals this season, on LFC website....absolutely no recognition of this elsewhere.

apologies if wrong.

Player of the Year? For me yes 100%, but it aint gonna happen.

Tonight's 5 live Sport with Mark Chapman from 19:00 GMT features the Monday Night Club, with Steve Claridge and Ian McGarry discussing the latest football issues, including a special section on Liverpool striker Luis Suarez.

Wonder how that'll work out then. An extension of last night's character assassination on motd2 I'd have thought. Cunts.

There was a journalist on SSN this morning (can't remember his name) reviewing the weekend and papers.

He said Suarez should get PFA award over Bale.

Gerrard's comments after the game yesterday were spot on. If Suarez doesnt win some form of award this season then something is really really wrong. He has been consistently the best player in the league this season. The likes of Bale and RVP have had periods of excellent form but Suarez has been superb since the start of the season, almost every week. Head and shoulders above everyone else in the league this season IMO.

BBC's campaign for Bale to win the award is backed here by Garth Crooks in his team of the week roundup. The boggle-eyed dribbling idiot.

I think Luis Suarez is fast becoming the most irritating footballer on the planet. The only problem is he's such a good player, as he showed again by scoring and winning a penalty against Tottenham. The moment he gets into that box he is untouchable. If any contact whatsoever is made you run the risk of him going to ground and a penalty being awarded.

Guest San Don
If Suarez does want to leave in summer then we should be demanding 60 million minimum for him, given that Torres went for 50 million, I would want us to get nearer 70 million to be honest as he is 3rd behind Messi and Ronaldo in my opinion.

If we do get 60 million I would want all of that to be invested in first team plus whatever else the owners are going to spend, maybe then it wouldn't be so bad if we could get 3 quality players in his place , although of course I would prefer him to stay as you never know how other players will turn out.

Wouldnt disagree with this.

The fly in the ointment though is just because we received 60 or 70m, doesnt mean the calibre of player we'd want would sign for us even if we did pay them huge wages (but we wont because we're paying incentivised wages).

So my wish is for all offers to be rebuffed and continuing building.

If Suarez doesnt win some form of award this season then .........

It means that a majority of PFA players didn't vote for him, no more, no less. Who won it last year? Or the year before? It is no big deal.

Part of Luiz' appeal is that he IS disliked by the opposition, I don't complain about that, I enjoy it.

The only recognition that counts is in the scorers column on matchdays.