You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

4 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Easily remedied, Lifey:

* "Worked as an undercover investigator for the Care Standards Commission at Winterbourne View."

* "Worked next to Naga Mulchetty on the BBC Breakfast sofa for a stint."

Looks better now, doesn't it?

Hahahaha

You’d have thought…

I’ve not walked from this job. Yet. 

• 4 months later...

Some people I will be managing soon have dropped a massive bollock and completely failed in the implementation of a new program which is essential to what I do, set us back by at least a year or two and has cost significant good will, trust and, potentially, lots of expertise which is incredibly hard to come by.

This has been done through poor leadership and oversight, but mainly through arrogance and an inability to reflect and it has escalated to the point where an anonymous survey was sent out on how things were going with the replies being fucking brutal.

They have claimed that this is just people venting, it’s not, this is an absolute failure on their part.

Their solution?

A ten minute one to one ‘coffee and convo’, with around thirty/forty pissed of and disillusioned people with this diagram…

08F6C88B-A038-4937-A1C0-A3FEAF05FC0A.png

Their proposal that they just sent to fix this absolute cluster fuck, which they will not accept as a cluster fuck is to ask ‘Show me on the graph where we hurt you?’

I am going to scream myself horse tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Some people I will be managing soon have dropped a massive bollock and completely failed in the implementation of a new program which is essential to what I do, set us back by at least a year or two and has cost significant good will, trust and, potentially, lots of expertise which is incredibly hard to come by.

This has been done through poor leadership and oversight, but mainly through arrogance and an inability to reflect and it has escalated to the point where an anonymous survey was sent out on how things were going with the replies being fucking brutal.

They have claimed that this is just people venting, it’s not, this is an absolute failure on their part.

Their solution?

A ten minute one to one ‘coffee and convo’, with around thirty/forty pissed of and disillusioned people with this diagram…

Their proposal that they just sent to fix this absolute cluster fuck, which they will not accept as a cluster fuck is to ask ‘Show me on the graph where we hurt you?’

....and probably get fired.

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Their solution?

If in doubt throw the old KR curve at them; sure to get them onside. 

Happens so frequently it's frightening. 

8 hours ago, Stouffer said:

If in doubt throw the old KR curve at them; sure to get them onside. 

Happens so frequently it's frightening. 

Yup, here is a diagram which tells you how you’re wrong to have legitimate concerns, show me where you’re at and I’ll tell you it’s normal to be furious at your line managers for being massively fucking incompetent and and astoundingly unreflective.

A sure fire crowd pleaser.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My productivity levels didn’t reduce through a conscious decision to quietly quit. It was more as a result of twenty five years of having every fibre of my being slowly trampled on.

This happened by allowing myself to work in environments that were set up to serve the needs of others, never mine.

I probably wasn’t valued that highly, in a world of selfish cunts, but I certainly lost all value in myself. First as a professional, then as a person. Something I’ve never been able to completely recover from. The destructive coping mechanisms only compounding the levels of self loathing in the longer term. 

Being ‘good enough’ to get by was ultimately a negative. Enabled me to mask the shit show I’d become, thereby trapping me for longer than I ever should have been able to get away with. 

There are so many positive reasons for a more inclusive approach to ‘ways of working’, enabling more to survive, even if they will never thrive.

I worry for those for whom the cost of living crisis will keep them in jobs they hate to at least give them a fighting chance of paying their bills, only for the consequences of that to slowly appear in years to come. Quite possibly damaging their physical and mental health beyond repair. 

There are those that will say they should just ‘suck it up’. Maybe they’re right, what the fuck do I know. 

• Upvote 3

When I was in the Civil Service, a couple of higher line managers tried to screw me over on the annual reporting. Fortunately, Id got both their numbers when first working with them so kept pertinent records in my workbook.

I was successfully able to show to an arbiter that the mark downs were incorrect and had the offending comments and lower grading removed. By this time the Department was a hive of nepotism, jobs for  the boys (and girls) and the writing was on the wall. Promotion came to a full stop and the last straw was when one of Maggie's boys came in and talked about taking an I.T. grading that attracted high pay off us.

At that point I jacked it in and went contracting. There was still corporate bellendary going on in the private sector. Worked on the CRB project first at Exchange Flags then at Princess Dock. Had to go to Walton on Thames as part of a delegation for a meeting with the head of the consultancy overseeing the project.

Fuck knows why I got roped in and the local manager expected me to drive all the way from Liverpool, have an all day meeting, drive all the way back and be back in the office nice and early next day.

I said you can send me by plane or train but Im not driving down there.

At the meeting, this fat cunt at the head of the table just kept going on about how 'we could make a fucking shitload of money' out of this contract. Delivering a robust system that the Users wanted and needed was secondary to that cunt.

I stuck it for 3 months and didnt renew. After I left I was told the local manager dragged a few people into her office and demanded to know why they werent doing 72+ hours a week! One lad was off with some dibilitating illness and after 3 days she phoned him and said if you arent in tomorrow, dont bother coming back.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

When I was in the Civil Service, a couple of higher line managers tried to screw me over on the annual reporting. Fortunately, Id got both their numbers when first working with them so kept pertinent records in my workbook.

I was successfully able to show to an arbiter that the mark downs were incorrect and had the offending comments and lower grading removed. By this time the Department was a hive of nepotism, jobs for  the boys (and girls) and the writing was on the wall. Promotion came to a full stop and the last straw was when one of Maggie's boys came in and talked about taking an I.T. grading that attracted high pay off us.

At that point I jacked it in and went contracting. There was still corporate bellendary going on in the private sector. Worked on the CRB project first at Exchange Flags then at Princess Dock. Had to go to Walton on Thames as part of a delegation for a meeting with the head of the consultancy overseeing the project.

Fuck knows why I got roped in and the local manager expected me to drive all the way from Liverpool, have an all day meeting, drive all the way back and be back in the office nice and early next day.

I said you can send me by plane or train but Im not driving down there.

At the meeting, this fat cunt at the head of the table just kept going on about how 'we could make a fucking shitload of money' out of this contract. Delivering a robust system that the Users wanted and needed was secondary to that cunt.

I stuck it for 3 months and didnt renew. After I left I was told the local manager dragged a few people into her office and demanded to know why they werent doing 72+ hours a week! One lad was off with some dibilitating illness and after 3 days she phoned him and said if you arent in tomorrow, dont bother coming back.

Sounds like the 'make tax digital' bollocks they are coming out with now. All it means is I have to pay for 3rd party software for something I previously needed nothing. The outcome (VAT return) looks no different. Complete waste of fucking money, no doubt cost millions and will no doubt have to be binned eventually when it all comes crashing down.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Looking for some advice.

Anyone ever dealt with a new member of staff offering fights and threatening to steal souls and control every action of other members of staff?

Thinking this might be beyond Pam in HR…

I was wondering what Anny Road was upto to these days.

Stealing souls though is a bit fucked up, sounds like he's been playing Elden Ring a bit too much.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Looking for some advice.

Anyone ever dealt with a new member of staff offering fights and threatening to steal souls and control every action of other members of staff?

Thinking this might be beyond Pam in HR…

Take up their offer of a fight and batter the shite out of them, then, tell them to concentrate on the job or fuck off?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Is he a TLW reader?

I referenced him briefly another time in another thread when alarm bells started ringing.

'So, you're from Glasgow, you Rangers or Celtic?'

'A bit of both really'

Marked his card that day, now he's threatening to steal the soul of a Canadian for not respecting him enough in a supermarket exchange.

All very normal.