You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Question for you:

ive had a company car for the last 11 years and now will be on a car allowance instead, which is £350 pm before tax, and I’m not sure the best way to use it.

i fancy getting a Kia Sportage as I want something of a decent size for camping trips etc, and I like the look of them.

should I go for a lease - seen them for £285 on 3 years, 20k miles pa - or should I buy something nearly new on finance?

i don’t have the money to buy outright, don’t want an old car, and never would want to buy new and pay all that extra in tax.

im going to have to pay road tax and insurance for the first time in 11 years too.

thoughts?

4 hours ago, Remmie said:

Wow Bob that's very similar to me. I just got made redundant after over 10 years. Should hear back today from an interview I had on Monday

All the best, Rem. How do you feel it went?

i felt positive about mine but had to wait a week before they were gonna get back to me after their exec meeting, and that felt like an age.

funnily, I was out Christmas shopping on the day of their meeting/decision to keep my mind occupied and as I went to the meter to buy a ticket for the car I got shat on by a bird in the tree overhead.

its supposed to be good luck, and it certainly seems like it might have been.

There's this girl we just hired who's 25, pretty attractive but doesn't blow your socks off. It's hilarious watching people come to her cubicle to talk to her, basically all day long. There's this one guy, he doesn't work with her and is on the other side of the floor yet comes over to talk for like 15 minute intervals every hour. That's how slim the pickings are at my god-forsaken office. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

All the best, Rem. How do you feel it went?

i felt positive about mine but had to wait a week before they were gonna get back to me after their exec meeting, and that felt like an age.

funnily, I was out Christmas shopping on the day of their meeting/decision to keep my mind occupied and as I went to the meter to buy a ticket for the car I got shat on by a bird in the tree overhead.

its supposed to be good luck, and it certainly seems like it might have been.

If they don't hire me they are morons, I am very experienced for the role, so yeah confident. But I suppose you can never know the calibre of your opposition. 

Was supposed to hear back today but they are now saying wait until 27th

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's this girl we just hired who's 25, pretty attractive but doesn't blow your socks off. It's hilarious watching people come to her cubicle to talk to her, basically all day long. There's this one guy, he doesn't work with her and is on the other side of the floor yet comes over to talk for like 15 minute intervals every hour. That's how slim the pickings are at my god-forsaken office. 

Mans just trying to get his nuts with the new bird. Tell you what he has a far better chance than you do, she probably just thinks you're a pair of eyes and a fringe. Peering over at her but avoiding eye contact. You sleazy fucking bastard. 

Our work had mulled Gin this afternoon for everyone. Then beer pong and then some girl randomly came into our past of the office and dumped 8 bottles of Rose on the desk with plastic cups, pork pies, cheese and crackers. i left work half cut. The late shift are going to be fucking hammered by now. only about 4 of them in, all birds as well. might pop back in at half-time while they are all stripped naked dancing on the desks to Mariah Car..... nah fuck that. Fuck. That.  

• Upvote 1

Company I currently work for is owned by a fucking hedge fund. 

Adults detained under the mental health act with an acquired brain injury and hedge funds are making profits out of it. Depressing as fuck! 

The money is absolutely shite and every other week they want staff to come to work in fancy dress and pay for the privilege. 

£2 to come to work in fancy dress for Halloween or £5 if you don’t ‘want to get in the spirit’. 

Was a bit of an awkward atmosphere when I told the hospital manager in a staff meeting I wouldn’t be coming to work in fancy dress and I certainly wouldn’t be paying any money. 

“You do realise this company is owned by an American private hedge fund that makes billions in profits, pays support staff £8 an hour and then wants them to donate to their chosen charity? 

You come in dressed as a fucking ghost or a ghoul and interact with patients that have difficulty with facial recognition, are paranoid and suffer with hallucinations. 

When they attack you I won’t do a fucking thing”. 

• Upvote 3

On 11/14/2018 at 11:05 PM, suzy said:

Thanks Champ, I’m probably in a better position than some but then again it’s been 17 years since I’ve had an interview. Worry my age will go against me. I do need another job as we have a mortgage. However I’ll have a few months cushion of redundancy to try and find something suitable.

Trying to stay positive.

Suzy. Don’t worry about interviews. If you haven’t got anyone who can give you decent guidance in handling them and you need any help/advice, then  PM me. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/14/2018 at 8:30 AM, Remmie said:

Another one being made redundant here. We got about 2 months notice, about 2 weeks after my 10 year anniversary, so at least I get that extra year for my payout. So in December I will be jobless and I detest applying for jobs, interviews are not too bad but the CV and covering letter writing sucks camel dick and is partially why I have been at the same place for 10 years. 

Soz to hear this. 

Deffo agree about the covering letter and CV. I know a manager who insists on them for internal applicants. Applicants who he has known for five years or more. Sheesh. 

11 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Suzy. Don’t worry about interviews. If you haven’t got anyone who can give you decent guidance in handling them and you need any help/advice, then  PM me. 

Thank you. They are organising workshops at work but I may take you up on it!

• 4 weeks later...

My boss has been back one day from her holiday & managed to wind me up to fuck even though I'm signed off sick with pneumonia.

Called her first thing this morning to say I wouldn't be in & was calling the doctor to get a new line for this week (the hospital signed me off the last two), her reaction - 'I'll come round & drop off your laptop so you can work from home'. I completely ignored this & said I'd be back in touch tomorrow with an update.

Half four this afternoon the texts start up...

Her, 'What did your Dr. say?'

Me, 'He's signed me off for another week.'

Her, 'Have you handed your sick lines in yet?' 

Me, 'No.'

How the fuck am I meant to hand in my sick lines when I'm at home recovering from pneumonia?

If she continues down this route tomorrow I'm thinking about making an official complaint to HR, she's got previous for harrassing people who were off long term sick (that was a cancer scare).

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mook said:

My boss has been back one day from her holiday & managed to wind me up to fuck even though I'm signed off sick with pneumonia.

Called her first thing this morning to say I wouldn't be in & was calling the doctor to get a new line for this week (the hospital signed me off the last two), her reaction - 'I'll come round & drop off your laptop so you can work from home'. I completely ignored this & said I'd be back in touch tomorrow with an update.

Me, 'No.'

How the fuck am I meant to hand in my sick lines when I'm at home recovering from pneumonia?

If she continues down this route tomorrow I'm thinking about making an official complaint to HR, she's got previous for harrassing people who were off long term sick (that was a cancer scare).

You love her really Mark.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Me, 'No.'

What a fucking cunt. When she said she'd drop your laptop off you should have threatened to break her fucking jaw.

I deal with this kind of shit now as a union rep. I've been in with people on sickness absence hearings, and a few times I've been on the verge of ripping the line managers head off. I'm a new rep as well, fuck knows what I'll be like in a few years!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Me, 'No.'

You just want a bed bath

52 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

What a fucking cunt. When she said she'd drop your laptop off you should have threatened to break her fucking jaw.

I deal with this kind of shit now as a union rep. I've been in with people on sickness absence hearings, and a few times I've been on the verge of ripping the line managers head off. I'm a new rep as well, fuck knows what I'll be like in a few years!

Can I ask you a quick question please, do I have to phone in tomorrow given she text me this afternoon & I've told her I've been signed off all week?

I'm dreading the call to be honest & it seems a bit pointless now. It's possible that every employer is different in which case I'll need to contact my HR to find out.

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

Can I ask you a quick question please, do I have to phone in tomorrow given she text me this afternoon & I've told her I've been signed off all week?

I'm dreading the call to be honest & it seems a bit pointless now. It's possible that every employer is different in which case I'll need to contact my HR to find out.

I'd do so just to cover your back.  Get your sick note sent in to your HR people as well.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

I'd do so just to cover your back.  Get your sick note sent in to your HR people as well.

Agreed, the cunts would use stuff like that against you if you ever had any disciplinary proceedings down the line. HR are the arseholes of the earth in every company. Some of the biggest cunts I've dealt with in the past 20 odd years are in HR.

Should have left them called personnel, cunts got above themselves when it got changed to HR.

• Upvote 3