You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to bob horse?

He broke the bookies big time over three consecutive weekends.

When I say broke them I mean big time.

The last time I spoke to him he was on his yacht off the coast of Cuba.

He was in great health and having fun living the life of Riley and spending his winnings.

On a side note he also invested alot of his winnings into the ownership or more into the part ownership of some horses.

Including a 2% share in Black Caviar who incedently goes for its 23 rd win in 23 races in about seven hours time.

Or was it all a dream.

He is ok mate and doing fine,sorry about the above I couldnt resist it.

Good luck Owen mate, but I already know that Bobsworth is going to win the Gold Cup. I dreamt it.

Usually about 4 weeks before the festival I start having dreams, one told me that Looks like Trouble was going to win the Gold Cup in 2000, so I lumped on at 12/1 ante post.

Haha it looks wide open this year. The word is Mullins is very sweet on SDC but he needs good ground.

Bloody working for all of it, couldn't get off. One of the best sporting events if the year, going to be stuck to the radio in work.

Theres a massive shout from Ireland for not one but two Willie Mullins horses to win at Cheltenham.

It s well worth doing them as singles and win double.

Neptune Novice Hurdle--Pont Alexandre This is highly rated by Mullins and on its only run in Navan won by 13 lengths and Mullins has thrown him straight into this current price around 5/2

Champion Hurdle--Hurricane Fly lost a bit of form last season but is now back to best winning its last 4 races,including cruising to victory in its last race in the Irish Champion hurdle.It has now won a incredable 14 grade one races and at level weights is a class above the others.Another win in this race and it will see Huirricane fly stake a claim as Irelands best ever hurdler

Current price around 5/4

RUBY WALSH: Rocky up for a fight

Saturday, February 16, 2013

By Ruby Walsh

First of all this morning let me reveal that I am definitely going to partner Hurricane Fly in the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham next month.

The alternative was obviously Zarkandar for Paul Nicholls. That horse heads to the Kingwell Hurdle at Wincanton today and earlier this week Paul asked me which one of them I intended to ride at the festival.

He posed a straight question and I gave him a straight answer - Hurricane Fly. It is getting quite close to Cheltenham now and Paul needed certainty. As a result Daryl Jacob will be aboard Zarkandar this afternoon and that is perfectly understandable.

In the meantime, I will be at Ascot, where I ride four for Paul and one for Kevin Bishop. The feature is the Grade 1 Betfair Chase and I team up with Ghizao.

I’m not overly optimistic that he will prove good enough and, on ratings, has it all to do against the likes of Captain Chris, Cue Card and Finian’s Rainbow.

I don’t think the two miles, five furlongs plus will be any problem to my horse, but realistically he has to step up appreciably on anything done before to be a major player.

Captain Chris ran a cracker when beaten neck by Long Run in the King George at Kempton and that represents quality form.

Finian’s Ranbow hasn’t run since finishing a poor fourth of four behind Captain Chris at Ascot in November, so has a bit to prove.

Cue Card was a fair way adrift of Captain Chris when fifth in the King George, but travelled like a dream for much of the trip.

He is a really classy individual and dropping down in distance will work in his favour. I hope Ghizao can surprise me, but I’ve a feeling this may be destined for Cue Card.

My day starts on Aaim To Prosper in a novice hurdle and I have to say he’s another I will be riding more in hope than confidence.

Mind you he did improve plenty from his first outing over jumps at Newbury to his latest effort at Doncaster. His jumping was better and he did show more enthusiasm.

But he’s a nine-year-old now and doesn’t have huge scope for improvement. I’ll be giving it my best in an effort to get a real tune out of him.

Then it is what I regard as my best ride of the day, Rocky Creek, in the Grade 2 Reynoldstown Chase. He jumps, stays and will love the trip.

This is a competitive little contest, but I think Rocky Creek is improving at a rate of knots and believe he’ll win.

Kevin Bishop provides me with Queens Grove in a very valuable handicap hurdle and it’s a lovely spare to get. I actually rode Queens Grove’s mother, Just Jasmine, to finish third in a Cheltenham handicap for Kevin some ten years ago.

Anyway, Queen Grove has won four in-a-row, handles soft ground, no problem, and has a nice weight. After that, who knows?

I end my day on Far West in a novice hurdle and this is a horse I like. He is ex-French and unbeaten in three races for Paul.

He started at Chepstow and then won twice at Cheltenham, the last time by 19 lengths. If he wins this, I think we can safely say will be the new favourite for the Triumph Hurdle.

The problem now, of course, is that he has to take on Rive Maigue, who is two years his senior. I know Barry Geraghty really rates River Maigue, so this is going to tell us an awful lot about Far West.

I will be very interested in how Zarkandar gets on at Wincanton. His form is rock solid, I think he’s a good horse and will be hard to beat.

Navan on Sunday went west yesterday morning and punters in Ireland for the weekend are left with just six races at Gowran Park today.

Willie Mullins has a strong hand in the Grade 2 Hurdle, with Zaidpour and So Young. Both horses are working well at home, but my preference would be for Zaidpour.

Willie’s other runner is Djakadam in a maiden hurdle.

He came from France and would have won at Thurles, on his Irish debut, if I hadn’t fallen off him at the last. He has been improving nicely at home and Paul Townend should get it right on him on this occasion.

And just a quick word about the Cheltenham Gold Cup, following the exploits of Silviniaco Conti and Sir Des Champs last weekend.

I watched the Hennessy at Leopardstown from Newbury and formed the impression that the extra two furlong of the Gold Cup are made for Sir Des Champs.

Silviniaco Conti jumped and travelled great at Newbury, but did get tired. Paul assures me there will be buckets of improvement to come.

Every morning of Cheltenham week i buy the Irish Examiner where Ruby writes his article and gives his tips for the day, it's a great read and he's never far away as is the other guy Pat Keane. Both are a great guide for the week.

Have to remember to do that myself mate thanks.

t heres also the odd site online you can stummble across now and then and one or two of the posters are genuine owners or related/friends with trainers or owners.

Which I think I might do as I havent done it for ages as been mainly doing bets of the game played on the other forum here.

I hardly use to bother doing that type of bet and stuck with the horses.

But for the past year its gone the other way for me.

I still make cash of the horses but I find I can make alot more doing the other bets and consistently.

By Marcus Armytage8:55PM GMT 24 Feb 2013

In recent seasons Kempton’s Racing Plus Chase meeting has been one of the most informative guides to the Cheltenham Festival and, indirectly, it may have offered some useful clues on Saturday.

But with the high profile trial winners unlikely to go, the weekend’s most positive Cheltenham news came from Tom George on Sunday when he announced he will supplement Mail de Bievre for the Queen Mother Champion Chase, at a cost of £17,500.

Betting for the race has been stagnant with Sprinter Sacre as short as 2-9 and doing nothing in two runs this season to dissuade anyone that he is not a safe bet to land the spoils. But, argued George, the race is so open behind the favourite that if you were ever going to do it, this is the year.

“Next year you might have Simonsig in it as well,” said George, who retired stable stalwart Nacarat on Saturday. “Everyone is racing for second. Providing he is well at the five-day stage it is the intention to supplement him.”

In January, before he had run for him, George entered Mail de Bievre in the Gold Cup and Ryanair. “I was led astray because he would have been a short price for the Grand Steeple, a three-mile and five furlong chase, had he run. But often a horse’s best trip in France doesn’t match up to its best trip in Britain because the pace of the races is so different.”

In the Denman Chase over three miles at Newbury, Mail de Bievre looked very impressive in front until running out of stamina three out.

“I couldn’t get my head around the fact that the horse had so much speed at home. And he was only in second gear at Newbury. In the Champion Chase Paddy Brennan can let him go his own gallop and it will be a lot faster than it was at Newbury. He has a very high cruising speed,” said George.

With Paul Nicholls all but ruling out Kempton winners Irish Saint and Grandioso from the Festival, his protégé Harry Fry was also uncommitted about where his Racing Plus Chase winner, Opening Batsman, would go next.

“He’s in four handicaps there but this will rule him out of two,” said Fry, admitting that winning such a big race a fortnight before the Festival slightly lifted the pressure of preparing Rock on Ruby for the defence of his Champion Hurdle title.

“He’s still in the JLT and Byrne Group and we’ll see how he is reassessed by the Handicapper on Thursday. It’s only a fortnight away and we’ll let him tell us, but as far as we were concerned Saturday was the plan.”

Wyck Hill, the disappointing favourite in the Racing Plus, sustained a cut to a hind leg – possibly at the first fence when he stepped around a faller – which required eight stitches and four staples.

“He didn’t jump a twig, which is unlike him and he’s quite sore this morning,” said trainer David Bridgwater on Sunday. “We’ll have to see how he gets over it, but if he goes to Cheltenham it wouldn’t be for the Gold Cup. He’s still well handicapped and he’s still a good horse.”

Still available at 16/1

These are the charity bets for Cheltenham from various preview nights up to now.

Please feel free to add more if anybody finds any.

Paul Nicholls £100 e/w on Dodging Bullets.

Andrew King's charity bet is £200 on Colour Squadron for Centenary Novice

David Pipe £200 Cue Card

Phillip Hobbs £200 overturn

Patrick Mullins - Clondaw Court £200

Gary O'Brien - Salsify £200

Daryl Jacob - Sam Winner (Pertemps) £200

Charlie Chawke - Champagne Fever (Supreme Novices) - On Patrick's advice

Kevin O'Ryan - Sir Des Champs £200

Nicky Henderson - Captain Conan (Jewson) £200

Paul Nicholls just did a twitter QA for betfair

@PlusRacing: @BetfairRacing if you were given £100 what one of your horses would you back ? #AskPaul

@BetfairRacing: PN: As of today i would have £50 eachway on Tricky Trickster in the Fox Hunters at 20/1

That's with billy hills

Paul Nicholls just did a twitter QA for betfair

@PlusRacing: @BetfairRacing if you were given £100 what one of your horses would you back ? #AskPaul

That's with billy hills

Yeah in the preview he did he mentioned that had a chance but his charity bet was with dodging bullets.

as its charity he ight just be covering options.

Ok to help everybody out I will post the stable tours for Cheltenham 2013.

[YOUTUBE]XgwcQL8D8rU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]OmciPXxx81U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]vtZGm4Axdy4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]QsB_iPwTHB0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hDPngD8Q1bI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTBE]JSjUklwHpvw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]JSjUklwHpvw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]XgdG-xRxAug[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]MqLBSRcD2ls[/YOUTUBE]

Ta for that ST, but I've my picks for every race at Cheltenham already!

Nice one mate.

I have got about 3 quarters of mine done.

Just need to wait now to see what horses get pulled out.

Mullins is a bastard for taking alot out the closer we get.

So before I do a big bet which I am going to do this year,I will have to wait till closer to the start,only by then I just know

wont have the money to do it.

Sods law.

Really looking forward to it now. Will be spending four afternoons on the trot (wahey) in the boozer with a couple of mates.

I am myself although I find with big meetings it either goes great or total shit.

The problem of horses being entered in two races aint good for anti post.

Mullins will pull loads out and Pipe has said he wont announce were his top ones will race in until the 5 Day decs.

I already know someone £80 down from anti post betting.

I've not made any bets yet. Probably only have two, maybe three, at anti-post. Its going to be on horses only entered in one race, and have fairly obviously been targeting it for a while.

Probably only £5/£10 e/w anyway. Then I'll have a lucky something rather for each day.

Watched so much on youtube about the festival recently. The stable tours you've posted, more RP previews, and also the JPFestival Vodcasts. Have you seen any of the latter?