You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There won't be a top class established worldwide name available - I have said it on another thread - we don't attract a manager who has won two La Liga titles, nor two Bundesliga titles - we won't. And LVG, Capello would not be a long term solution - the reason they are an option is because they cannot get a top job. Kenny was experience, yet made mistakes - he changed formation, bought poorly, used players out of form, was stubborn (his insistance on Adam/Gerrard) so I don't buy the argument that experience is key.

But what I see as the result of last season - is that FSG have looked at Dortmund and saw their model and followed that template, buying young players needs patience and you either buy into it or you don't. The alternative is spending big and that isn't an option.

But I do believe that the team I am watching - only needs two or three big players and I would like to see that in the summer. I still maintain that our biggest weakness isn't the manager, FSG or whatever system - is the character of the players we have in this squad. The way we concede, I would argue suggests there is some truth in this.

We may not get a Mourinho but there is enough lure in the LFC brand yet to get a top manager. Also, managing in the Premier League is pull enough. We could get one if we tried.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There won't be a top class established worldwide name available - I have said it on another thread - we don't attract a manager who has won two La Liga titles, nor two Bundesliga titles - we won't. And LVG, Capello would not be a long term solution - the reason they are an option is because they cannot get a top job. Kenny was experience, yet made mistakes - he changed formation, bought poorly, used players out of form, was stubborn (his insistance on Adam/Gerrard) so I don't buy the argument that experience is key.

But what I see as the result of last season - is that FSG have looked at Dortmund and saw their model and followed that template, buying young players needs patience and you either buy into it or you don't. The alternative is spending big and that isn't an option.

But I do believe that the team I am watching - only needs two or three big players and I would like to see that in the summer. I still maintain that our biggest weakness isn't the manager, FSG or whatever system - is the character of the players we have in this squad. The way we concede, I would argue suggests there is some truth in this.

That just leaves.........

Dalglish's ability to take on the job was questionable at best and plenty had concerns about him going in, his transfer record at Newcastle was shocking. He'd been out of the game a long time. I was pleasantly surprised at the Dalglish I saw in the first six months but wasn't totally unexpecting what followed.

As for good managers not wanting to come here, we'll just have to disagree there. If the money was right, and promises were kept, there'd be half a dozen big name managers who could be ousted from their current roles to take it IMO.

Ok then, we sack Rodgers after six months in charge and replace him with who?

You can't just expect me to answer that question because it isn't just as easy as saying 'him' or 'him'.

I'd leave it to the summer and see how he fares. If, in May he has got us up to 6th/7th and things look a lot better then he MAY have just earned another season. I doubt that will happen, the team looks like it cannot be arsed playing for him at the moment and I expect things will not improve that much.

But as for a new man, that depends on who is available and what clubs are looking. There will be a few clubs like Chelsea, Madrid, probably Man City all looking for managers. But there will be men out there looking for jobs who are way more qualified than Rodgers is.

If you want my personal choice. A top manager who has won stuff. A man respected in the game. A man who would come and who gets the club. Rafa.

But he isn't the only candiate.

Guest San Don

As for good managers not wanting to come here, we'll just have to disagree there. If the money was right, and promises were kept, there'd be half a dozen big name managers who could be ousted from their current roles to take it IMO.

Hmmmmm. Im not convinced. Admittedly, I dont 'know' the big name managers in Europe who come here so I'd genuinely be interested in who you think would be.

Klopp wasnt interested when we allegedly made noises. Who in italy, spain or germany is considered a big name who'd come here? Im not sure we could even get Sami to come given he's a loyal guy and would likely want to stay at Bayer.

We may not get a Mourinho but there is enough lure in the LFC brand yet to get a top manager. Also, managing in the Premier League is pull enough. We could get one if we tried.

Dalglish's ability to take on the job was questionable at best and plenty had concerns about him going in, his transfer record at Newcastle was shocking. He'd been out of the game a long time. I was pleasantly surprised at the Dalglish I saw in the first six months but wasn't totally unexpecting what followed.

This season could see - City, Chelsea, PSG, Milan, and Madrid looking for a manager! Klopp will be top of that list - Rafa, Maureen, Mancini and Ancelotti available. I don't see any of them guaranteeing success - I think we would simply be swapping one set of flaws for another set.

Sorry but we (fans) haven't supported Rodgers - quick to criticise and slow to praise. Perhaps we can start doing that and seeing how that helps us.

You really do get the impression that some fans (those who are pissed off that Dalglish is no longer in charge) are actually happy when we lose, as if to prove a point that he shouldn't have been sacked!

In my opinion, Liverpool is bigger than any one man, and to be happy that the club loses just to be able to say stuff like 'Dalglish didn't lost to so and so' or 'Dalglish did this...' is fucking wrong, no matter what way you approach it!

I would imagine that Dalglish himself, in fact I am pretty confident that he wants the club to win every game they play and would be fuckin embarrassed at fans that want us to lose, just so they could harp on about his sacking! It's shit to read stuff that has this as it's agenda, it really is...

What would people think of Lippi? He constructed the best Juventus side I've ever seen and he's currently in fucking China. I remember hearing once he based his playing style on Sir Bob's.

I think he is too old.

The sad aspect is that Kenny would have been brilliant as a Sporting Director - I'd rather we appointed on that level.

This season could see - City, Chelsea, PSG, Milan, and Madrid looking for a manager! Klopp will be top of that list - Rafa, Maureen, Mancini and Ancelotti available. I don't see any of them guaranteeing success - I think we would simply be swapping one set of flaws for another set.

Sorry but we (fans) haven't supported Rodgers - quick to criticise and slow to praise. Perhaps we can start doing that and seeing how that helps us.

No manager guarantees success, but as Section 31 said, it's about putting someone in charge that the fans, but more importantly, the players believe can bring success. I never got the feeling that the fans and players really thought that Rodgers would be that man. I get the feeling that it is falling apart already and the players aren't overly bothered if he stays or goes because I don't think they believe in what he is trying to do. And part of that is that the players can't do what he wants them to do. That doesn't mean they are bad players though.

Rodgers may turn out to be a fantastic manager in the future. But that doesn't mean we should be faffing around mid table to see if it happens with us.

We are still a name and the Premier League is a massive attraction. We have a decent amount of cash to spend and we will give a manager time if he deserves it. I also think that Rafa would jump at the chance of coming here over any other club, bar Madrid.

I've never liked lippi to be honest. Seems a bit sly. I'd prefer ancelotti. But... Want Rodgers to stay on. We just need to spend some cash wisely which means getting scouts out now and setting the ball rolling. Not waiting till a week before the window shuts to enquire.

Out of 2 cups and possibly a 3rd - 30 points behind united - not beat one of the top teams so far - defence is an shambles - Borini and Assadi look hopeless - so maybe the lack of praise might have something to do with this.

I think he is too old.

The sad aspect is that Kenny would have been brilliant as a Sporting Director - I'd rather we appointed on that level.

You reckon? Still seven years younger than Ferguson and a year older than Wenger.

Experience is essential at this point, restoring the club's 'aura' as a top European club which can attract quality players. It needs putting back on track, then by all means feel free to bring some younger people like Rodgers in to groom them bootroom style.

You can't just expect me to answer that question because it isn't just as easy as saying 'him' or 'him'.

I'd leave it to the summer and see how he fares. If, in May he has got us up to 6th/7th and things look a lot better then he MAY have just earned another season. I doubt that will happen, the team looks like it cannot be arsed playing for him at the moment and I expect things will not improve that much.

But as for a new man, that depends on who is available and what clubs are looking. There will be a few clubs like Chelsea, Madrid, probably Man City all looking for managers. But there will be men out there looking for jobs who are way more qualified than Rodgers is.

If you want my personal choice. A top manager who has won stuff. A man respected in the game. A man who would come and who gets the club. Rafa.

But he isn't the only candiate.

Fucking deluded.

Surely the fact he's in China means you have to question the fella's hunger? Places of that ilk- the MLS, the Middle East, Australia- all much of a muchness for me in that they're the footballer's graveyard where you make a nice buck before spewing it for good. No doubt somebody of Lippi's quality would be in demand if he started putting the feelers out, but I can't help feel it's a case of topping up the pension fund.

If the rumours surrounding Cryuff are true, we really missed a trick in the summer.

No manager guarantees success, but as Section 31 said, it's about putting someone in charge that the fans, but more importantly, the players believe can bring success. I never got the feeling that the fans and players really thought that Rodgers would be that man. I get the feeling that it is falling apart already and the players aren't overly bothered if he stays or goes because I don't think they believe in what he is trying to do. And part of that is that the players can't do what he wants them to do. That doesn't mean they are bad players though.

Rodgers may turn out to be a fantastic manager in the future. But that doesn't mean we should be faffing around mid table to see if it happens with us.

We are still a name and the Premier League is a massive attraction. We have a decent amount of cash to spend and we will give a manager time if he deserves it. I also think that Rafa would jump at the chance of coming here over any other club, bar Madrid.

I think Rafa would fuck Madrid off for another crack at Liverpool.

I like Rodgers and want him to succeed but there's a lot of things I don't like.

The defence and midfield are all over the shop. Nobody still seems to have any idea what they're doing.

Our purchases, Sturridge apart, haven't worked out. £25.5m, our summer budget, has been squandered YET AGAIN on players not good enough. Allen and Borini just don't cut it.

It's galling when you see other sides getting true bargains such as Michu and Mousa Sissoko and we're still spending like a drunken sailor. Even Rodgers must have known that Allen wasn't worth £15m but he still went and spent it.

I wish FSG would have gone out and get the best, send a statement out. This summer Jose Mourinho will be available. The guy is a winner, like him or not, and he demands the highest standards. Sadly, for too long now we've become accustomed to mediocrity.

Like I said, I desperately want Rodgers to succeed but have big doubts now. He just stubbornly refuses to address the problems. He's looking for a no10 this summer but we need leaders at the back and in central midfield. Not more midgets playing fancy stuff against teams that sit off us. We're really in danger of becoming a relic. Rafa's best side has pretty much disappeared now and we're back to square one.