You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock?

Megadrive Man

Well you're an idiot then.

If we assume that Borini and Allen do not improve (and I personally think that people are forgetting that Allen looked excellent in his first couple of months here) then there's little doubt that Rodgers' first transfer window here was a disaster. Indeed, had we got Sigurdsson and Dempsey it might have been even worse given that the money might not have been there for Sturridge and Coutinho in January.

I do not mean to act as though throwing £25 million away in our position (again, assuming Borini and Allen don't improve) is not hugely frustrating, but why is it wrong to give Rodgers some leeway given his relative lack of experience and where he came from? Until no more than a couple of weeks prior to joining us, Rodgers would have been scouting players for Swansea, not for Liverpool. Although he is evidently an extremely self-confident man, I am not at all surprised that he went for what he knew in his first transfer window. Kenny did it by buying British wherever possible, and at least (Dempsey aside) all Rodgers' targets were young, technically able players, unlike Hodgson's. If he is still buying players he knows that turn out not to be good enough in 12-18 months' time then fair enough, though even then you'd have to blame the whole structure rather than Rodgers alone.

The January transfer window was as good as the summer was bad. If we assume that Rodgers still has at least some input into transfers, how useless must the Inter heirarchy be to let Coutinho go? And given that many respected posters - and Code, too - felt he looked terrible, does that not show as good an eye for a player as Borini does bad?

Nice.

I think circumstances make the Summer signings look bad, rather than their ability. They both had nasty injuries, and in the case of Allen, he was trying to play in a side without Lucas, and with Skrtel, Reina and Agger performing like cart horses.

Rodgers said that he would have paid many more millions to secure Allen, and dont forget that Spurs were also interested in the lad, but everyone knew he wanted to follow Rodgers. I think he'll be instrumental at this club for years to come and a proper pre-season will do him the world of good, and not being 'the new boy'.

Borini, injured. End of. It's not about ability with him, he was injured and is still recovering. Christ, he's back about 8 weeks earlier than scheduled. Give him a chance, he's hungry to play for us.

I disagree about Dempsey, I think he could have been ace for us.

Just because he's not playing much at Spurs should not mean much other than it got a brilliant level of performance out of Defoe, and Bale and Lennon have upped their game this season as well. It's like Sturridge not getting a game at Chelsea, doesnt make him a bad player.

I've been well impressed with all our signings. They may not all have had the same luck so far, but they are all top players, at the right age, with the right mentality. I think that Johnson and Enrique might be looking over their shoulder this Summer, because we're not getting the cover from them that we need in defence. Crosses rain in from our flanks, it isnt good enough. I suspect that Rodgers will take a good hard look at that lad at Swansea who broke his leg, as Laudrup has gotten by fine without him all season and would likely listen to a £5m offer because it means he can go and buy some Spanish meff to replace him. I'd be trying to get Neil Taylor, and then have a good look at Luke Shaw from Southampton, but not pay the fucking world for him. I wonder about Kolarov as well.

Second half 2012/2013 v Second half 2011/2012

It doesn't read well for Kenny!

Thanks

Winning a final and reaching another is outfashioned these days I guess.

Hold on - why are you moving the goalposts (as you so often do)? We are talking about league form here and that was the point the poster you replied to made.

Kenny was a disaster in the league January onwards. Does that not matter at all to you because we won a Carling Cup?

Hold on - why are you moving the goalposts (as you so often do)? We are talking about league form here and that was the point the poster you replied to made.

Kenny was a disaster in the league January onwards. Does that not matter at all to you because we won a Carling Cup?

No he was not, we had a bad 7 game spell where we only won 1 game and lost 6, apart from that we were doing good enough.

People keep going on about our terrible finish off the season and Rodgers starting point, I'd argue a 7 game spell towards tge end of the season or the last two months is a better indicator of our end to the season than 19 games.

We got 10 points from the last 7 games, much the same Rodgers will manage, if he can even manage that.

Us losing our last two games without Suarez, Gerrard and Agger would not surprise me the slightest.

Wonder what people will say if that is the case.

That's just noise and speculation, xerxes. But that's what we're here for, so all good!

Personally I think Rodgers needs a top 4 finish - or a very good tilt at it - next season to remain in his post. As far as him being in FSG's pocket, what evidence are you drawing on there to make that conclusion? Rodgers seems his own man to me.

The financial strength of the top five relative to FSG is a fact ( to quote Rafa).

The words you used about Rodgers were revealing. I don’t think that failure to crack the Top Four will result in his dismissal ( I could be wrong). I agree that he needs to make “a good tilt”. But his job will probably depend upon what FSG will regard as defining that. I think that as long s he is closer in points terms than this season he will be ok.

Obviously that is not what I WANT, I want us challenging for the title, but that is what I expect.

I think that the evidence of Rodger’s being in FSG’s pocket is structural. Rodgers may be “his own man”, but if he screws up here he isn’t going anywhere ( I don’t believe the City speculation)of note. He is less experienced at the top than FSG, that gives them power. And finally, if he left, the list of more distinguished candidates would mean that he was soon forgotten. There would be no fans revolt, Code would drive him to Lime st.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Want to hear something funny, Code? He's our manager for next season. No mater how many times you look at a strange set of 7 games, without giving Rodgers the same 'out', he's our manager for next season. Unlucky, pal.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

That's, like, just your opinion, Dude. It's not like your opinion is all that credible, anyway. You base all your opinions on who you like and don't like. You base who you like on a whim. I imagine something happened to you that made you dislike the Irish, or something. Probably had a dodgy pint of stout one time. It doesn't take much for you to spaz out.

No he was not, we had a bad 7 game spell where we only won 1 game and lost 6, apart from that we were doing good enough.

People keep going on about our terrible finish off the season and Rodgers starting point, I'd argue a 7 game spell towards tge end of the season or the last two months is a better indicator of our end to the season than 19 games.

We got 10 points from the last 7 games, much the same Rodgers will manage, if he can even manage that.

Us losing our last two games without Suarez, Gerrard and Agger would not surprise me the slightest.

Wonder what people will say if that is the case.

I'm sorry but I'm sure I could find 7 games this season which didn't go that well for us too. It just doesn't make sense to use that as some kind of yard stick.

Points wise our season hasn't been entirely dissimilar and I'm not saying Rodgers has been amazing - it would be untruthful to suggest as much.

But if you can point me to the parts of the season in which Kenny had to rely on a 17 year old and a 18 year old, that'd be great. Or perhaps, could you show me where Rodgers had a 6 month 'settling in' period before he started his job like Kenny had? Or even the £100m?

The truth is, nobody knows if Rodgers will succeed here but to not back him for one more season is just stupid. We all feel that Kenny was shipped out too soon but in the same breath, some feel that giving his replacement even less time makes sense? Well, it doesn't to me. I share your enthusiasm for proven winners (the person I wanted when Kenny went was Spanish, and will probably win a EL this month) but using a Carling Cup trophy as a measure is a bit myopic. Some of the major determinants of those trophies - Kuyt, Bellamy, Maxi - aren't here anymore and Rodgers was expected to fill their void until January with a couple of teenagers.

Not an easy task.

Kenny made me happy, Brendan makes me sad.

Kenny brought back winning ways in one season, Brendan made it all go away again in one and I doubt those winning ways will return anytime soon if he is to continue.

I like us to win things, it makes me happy, I like us to beat our "rivals", it makes me happy.

This season has been the worst in almost 20 years, its been fuckin depressing as a fan as we have not done anything to even raise the tiniest of hopes.

That's just noise and speculation, xerxes. But that's what we're here for, so all good!

Personally I think Rodgers needs a top 4 finish - or a very good tilt at it - next season to remain in his post. As far as him being in FSG's pocket, what evidence are you drawing on there to make that conclusion? Rodgers seems his own man to me.

Finally,some common ground between us.

As Xerxes says though,Utd,City,Chelsea,Spurs and Arsenal are all in a better position than us(maybe not Arsenal but they have got the money if they choose to spend it) to occupy those top 4 places so unless Rodgers can attract some real talent at bargain prices,our realistic improvement is most likely an improvement of one place over the blueshite.

I think Rodgers best signings need to be off the field too and ditch his mates for some real experience and/or people with maybe a bit of attachment to the club. Although experience is my main criteria.

Kenny brought back winning ways in one season, Brendan made it all go away again in one and I doubt those winning ways will return anytime soon if he is to continue.

I like us to win things, it makes me happy, I like us to beat our "rivals", it makes me happy.

This season has been the worst in almost 20 years, its been fuckin depressing as a fan as we have not doen anything to even raise the tiniest of hopes.

No, he didn't.

This season has been the worst in almost 20 years, its been fuckin depressing as a fan as we have not done anything to even raise the tiniest of hopes.

You are happy to win things, yet you think it is acceptable that the squad slacked off and gave up fighting for points and put in shit performances after the League Cup final?

Acceptable from players who earn £70k a week.

You've only got yourself to blame. You thoroughly deserve to watch a shit team because when we were good all you did was complain. You're a disgrace to LFC, in my opinion.

You've only got yourself to blame. You thoroughly deserve to watch a shit team because when we were good all you did was complain. You're a disgrace to LFC, in my opinion.

When did I ever complain when we were good?

No thanks.

Im sorry but for a club that will be spending as much as us next summer (we spent ~50m this year), we should be in the top four. Brendan needs to learn how to win because it matters more than winning nice. I long for the days of boring 1-0 wins under Rafa and Ged.

No thanks.

Im sorry but for a club that will be spending as much as us next summer (we spent ~50m this year), we should be in the top four. Brendan needs to learn how to win because it matters more than winning nice. I long for the days of boring 1-0 wins under Rafa and Ged.

This is where experience comes in and Rodgers doesnt have it(yet)

You are happy to win things, yet you think it is acceptable that the squad slacked off and gave up fighting for points and put in shit performances after the League Cup final?

Acceptable from players who earn £70k a week.

I said I did not think that was the case.

But how about the club now deciding to let Agger and Gerrard having operations so they can be ready for our pre-season tour in Asia instead of playing the last two legaue games, where does this fit in with your description above?

But how about the club now deciding to let Agger and Gerrard having operations so they can be ready for our pre-season tour in Asia instead of playing the last two legaue games, where does this fit in with your description above?

Code, this may be the most idiotic thing I've ever seen you type.

I said I did not think that was the case.

Well, there is quite a distinct difference between (i) undergoing a necessary medical procedure to ensure physical health moving forward and (ii) not being arsed, but hey - who am I to bring sound reason to this agenda driven logic?