You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock?

Megadrive Man

It still baffles me that some fans don't understand that Rodgers took over after the decline. Then lost 4 of the 6 top scoring attackers at the club. Yet you want to compare. His job wasn't what Kenny's was at the start of last season, which was to take a team finishing really strongly, then add to it with lots of signings. It's to recover from the decline. We've done that this season. We've recovered to where we were after Kenny's first half-season. Now the same rules apply to him as applied to Kenny. If we don't challenge for top four this season, the owners will sack him. Right or wrong.

We've stripped away so much dead wood, cut the wage bill, recovered from the worse finish to a season in several generations, and we're now allowed to look forward again. I'm actually shocked that it only took Rodgers 19 games to get the club moving towards the top four again.

The what?

You believe this shite you are writing dont you?

The difference between Rodgers and Kenny is that Rodgers has finished the season strongly, getting us to 4-5th in the form table in the second half of the season. Kenny on the other hand had us in a tailspin and our form from the season half of last season was relegation fodder.

We got 10 points from our last 7 games last season and played a semi final and final in the FA cup in between, we have 7 points from our last 5 now so I would not be surprised if we ended up with 10 from our last 7 PL games.

Rodgers took over after such a massive decline you know.

OK so 10th place satisfaction is a gross exaggeration on my part but anything without Euro football reduces our chances of attracting better players to the club and thats my point.

One place higher finish if it doesnt give us entry into CL or EL is pretty hollow for me.

I can't disagree with that, nor do I have a problem with much of the criticism of the team this year - we did go out of the two cups to early - but I think points are a better indication more so than places - as it is much easier to progress to the top four if you need to add two or three wins than it is to do so if you need 5 or six. I have been disappointed in our mental strength, not just this year - and as far as I can see that is where he needs to improve the most.

But I really do think a lot of the criticism that he is getting is grossly unfair - he has even been criticised for dropping Carragher when that was Kenny! Carragher has only played as much as he has because Skrtel has been so poor, not necessarily because he is that good. At the start of the season - we all thought the defenders were sorted, but both have been quite poor with some terrible errors each match that have cost us points.

It is also important to note that Kenny didn't have European football to contend with, it is easier to focus upon Chelsea away in the League cup if you are not in the middle of a UEFA league format.

It isn't one place though, it could be 10 points! Sorry but one place higher is just one measure, not the only measure of improvement, we have won more matches and scored far more goals- so it could just as easily be stated that he is getting more out of them.

The Cup's are too determined by other variables (Kenny did see us go out to United in the first round, and the UEFA cup one leg later in 2010).

So back to believing we will win our remaining games then Whelan after 1 win the last 5?

You will never lose your job as the driver of the sunshine bus, thats certain.

a proven manager?? until he/they come here' date=' we wont know... needs to be proven with us..not ajax, ac milan, barca, etc...[/quote']

So getting Swansea promoted trumps being successful at Ajax,Barca and Bayern like Van Gaal? Thats silly.

We hired Rafa because he was successful at Valencia,winning La Liga and the UEFA Cup too.

These are examples of proven managers and men who have a history of success.

Getting promotion is not a proven successful manager to me.

These are examples of proven managers and men who have a history of success.

Which, quite obviously, doesn't guarantee any in the future. There is little point in judging Rodgers on his Swansea days any more. He's here, judge him on what he does here. His first season, his scond season etc etc.

Getting promotion is not a proven successful manager to me.

Define 'successful manager' then.

Managers have differing levels of success at different clubs at different times. Ferguson was shit for 5 years, from 1986 to 1991, FIVE years before his side got their shit together.

Mourinho has won all sorts, but you can pick the shit out of it as well. Look at this season, fucking shit for a team of that standard, bladdered by Barca in the league, an out-of-sorts Barca at that. Look at Mourinho's last season at Chelsea as well, he came first the previous season and then was allowed to spend £30m on Shevchenko, brought Ballack in on mega wages, spent £9 on Kalou and £8.5m on Boulahrouz, and still finished 6 points behind United. Fail.

Dortmund are 20 points behind Munich in the Bundesliga, and some people are saying that Klopp is a genius...

It's not one-size-fits-all, this club destroys players who are weak-minded, and it certainly destroys managers. We saw Houllier carried out the door in the end. The media scrutiny here is scary, if you get ANYTHING wrong then there's millions of people ready to kick you in the bollocks, from ex-players to pundits to fans. We all remember when Rafa's team was booed when the 0-0 draw meant we went top of the league. That's scary.

Rodgers has aquitted himself well so far, IMHO. It was a difficult audition season, but I've seen glimpses of what our football could be like with a couple more quality additions. I also think that Allen and Borini can be terrific assets to this club, great players. If it makes you feel any better then go back and read what Rodgers had to say when he signed Allen. Google it you lazy scrotes.

And Borini, well, I love him. Put it this way, if we put him on the market tomorrow I guarantee you we'd have both Milan clubs and Juventus knocking on our door. I also reckon that Ancelotti would enquire. Ancelotti loves him. Google.

So...I don't care if you don't see the merit in sticking with Rodgers. Just go play Skrim and wait a few months, and then come back when it's all a bit better. After all, that's what you want, a ready-meal club for you to support, success-on-demand, dial-a-trophy. You want us to change the settings from 'Semi-Pro' to 'Amateur' on FIFA, you lazy fucktopus.

Pointless discussion this one. Rodgers test will be this summer with his signings, and next season. He has improved the way we play and added some quality in Coutinho and Sturridge.

If we get the quality we need, we'll be in with a real CL chance. If we don't, we'll need a miracle!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Pointless discussion this one. Rodgers test will be this summer with his signings, and next season. He has improved the way we play and added some quality in Coutinho and Sturridge.

If we get the quality we need, we'll be in with a real CL chance. If we don't, we'll need a miracle!

Probably the best post in the thread.

Rodgers will see out his contract here. He will do “enough” for FSG.

Relative to his experience, Rodgers has had a good season. But to improve, we are up against owners who are far richer than FSG, and managers who are more experienced.

FSG and Rodgers are a perfect match.

Managers have differing levels of success at different clubs at different times. Ferguson was shit for 5 years, from 1986 to 1991, FIVE years before his side got their shit together.

Mourinho has won all sorts, but you can pick the shit out of it as well. Look at this season, fucking shit for a team of that standard, bladdered by Barca in the league, an out-of-sorts Barca at that. Look at Mourinho's last season at Chelsea as well, he came first the previous season and then was allowed to spend £30m on Shevchenko, brought Ballack in on mega wages, spent £9 on Kalou and £8.5m on Boulahrouz, and still finished 6 points behind United. Fail.

Dortmund are 20 points behind Munich in the Bundesliga, and some people are saying that Klopp is a genius...

It's not one-size-fits-all, this club destroys players who are weak-minded, and it certainly destroys managers. We saw Houllier carried out the door in the end. The media scrutiny here is scary, if you get ANYTHING wrong then there's millions of people ready to kick you in the bollocks, from ex-players to pundits to fans. We all remember when Rafa's team was booed when the 0-0 draw meant we went top of the league. That's scary.

Rodgers has aquitted himself well so far, IMHO. It was a difficult audition season, but I've seen glimpses of what our football could be like with a couple more quality additions. I also think that Allen and Borini can be terrific assets to this club, great players. If it makes you feel any better then go back and read what Rodgers had to say when he signed Allen. Google it you lazy scrotes.

And Borini, well, I love him. Put it this way, if we put him on the market tomorrow I guarantee you we'd have both Milan clubs and Juventus knocking on our door. I also reckon that Ancelotti would enquire. Ancelotti loves him. Google.

So...I don't care if you don't see the merit in sticking with Rodgers. Just go play Skrim and wait a few months, and then come back when it's all a bit better. After all, that's what you want, a ready-meal club for you to support, success-on-demand, dial-a-trophy. You want us to change the settings from 'Semi-Pro' to 'Amateur' on FIFA, you lazy fucktopus.

Fucktopus! Fucking brilliant, so brilliant I've added it to my dictionary!

I also agree with a lot of what you say. Fergie was on the brink of being sacked, 22 years later and he's won half of the top flight seasons since then, broken records, reinvented the team and kept them winning. I may hate him but you have to look in awe at his record.

JM is a quick fix manager with no longevity what so ever, he's a money hunter. He takes over, wins some trophies and fucks off before it turns sour.

I see Rodgers being more from the Fergie ilk than Mourinhos which is good for us in the long run if we give him time. The standard of our play is far better than it has been for a long time, he's made some great signings already and I hope he carries that on in the summer with some more. Only time will tell but the signs are good so far and if you want instant success then go support someone else.

Ferguson won trophies at unfashionable St Mirren and Aberdeen before he went to United, a proven Winner,

Borini.

don't make me fuckin laugh,

Ngog better than him

£11m for him!!!!!!!

Which is what? 7th place every year?In what way?

We don't have the financial clout to challenge Man U/City. Arsenal/Chelsea, so its fifth and below, realistically, for FSG. Spurs owner is far richer than FSG, but is as uncertain as they are about the cash risk of making a serious tilt.

Windfall income from sponsorship and TV money has lifted the value of LFC. Why would FSG put that in jeopardy with the hundreds of millions it would take to have a go? Therefore, a finish around 5th-7th, will probably be "enough" for Rodgers to see out his contract.

Rodgers and FSG are perfectly suited because he needs them more than they need him. He is in their pocket. He also has less PL experience than they do, so no risk of "stories from the frontline which worked before".

Rodger's main achievement has been not crashing and burning in his first year. Without it, he would be another Phil Brown, Aidy Boothroyd.

Fabio Borini

A player he knew well and still bought him

Tells me all I need to know

Well you're an idiot then.

If we assume that Borini and Allen do not improve (and I personally think that people are forgetting that Allen looked excellent in his first couple of months here) then there's little doubt that Rodgers' first transfer window here was a disaster. Indeed, had we got Sigurdsson and Dempsey it might have been even worse given that the money might not have been there for Sturridge and Coutinho in January.

I do not mean to act as though throwing £25 million away in our position (again, assuming Borini and Allen don't improve) is not hugely frustrating, but why is it wrong to give Rodgers some leeway given his relative lack of experience and where he came from? Until no more than a couple of weeks prior to joining us, Rodgers would have been scouting players for Swansea, not for Liverpool. Although he is evidently an extremely self-confident man, I am not at all surprised that he went for what he knew in his first transfer window. Kenny did it by buying British wherever possible, and at least (Dempsey aside) all Rodgers' targets were young, technically able players, unlike Hodgson's. If he is still buying players he knows that turn out not to be good enough in 12-18 months' time then fair enough, though even then you'd have to blame the whole structure rather than Rodgers alone.

The January transfer window was as good as the summer was bad. If we assume that Rodgers still has at least some input into transfers, how useless must the Inter heirarchy be to let Coutinho go? And given that many respected posters - and Code, too - felt he looked terrible, does that not show as good an eye for a player as Borini does bad?

The January transfer window was as good as the summer was bad. If we assume that Rodgers still has at least some input into transfers, how useless must the Inter heirarchy be to let Coutinho go? And given that many respected posters - and Code, too - felt he looked terrible, does that not show as good an eye for a player as Borini does bad?

I watched a 1 minute and 30 second clip on youtube where he constantly wasted the ball, I said I hoped he was better than this and that I had a bad feeling but I could be terrible wrong as I had little to judge him from.

We don't have the financial clout to challenge Man U/City. Arsenal/Chelsea, so its fifth and below, realistically, for FSG. Spurs owner is far richer than FSG, but is as uncertain as they are about the cash risk of making a serious tilt.

Windfall income from sponsorship and TV money has lifted the value of LFC. Why would FSG put that in jeopardy with the hundreds of millions it would take to have a go? Therefore, a finish around 5th-7th, will probably be "enough" for Rodgers to see out his contract.

Rodgers and FSG are perfectly suited because he needs them more than they need him. He is in their pocket. He also has less PL experience than they do, so no risk of "stories from the frontline which worked before".

Rodger's main achievement has been not crashing and burning in his first year. Without it, he would be another Phil Brown, Aidy Boothroyd.

That's just noise and speculation, xerxes. But that's what we're here for, so all good!

Personally I think Rodgers needs a top 4 finish - or a very good tilt at it - next season to remain in his post. As far as him being in FSG's pocket, what evidence are you drawing on there to make that conclusion? Rodgers seems his own man to me.

We got 10 points from our last 7 games last season and played a semi final and final in the FA cup in between, we have 7 points from our last 5 now so I would not be surprised if we ended up with 10 from our last 7 PL games.

Rodgers took over after such a massive decline you know.

Do you know what the term "second half of the season" means? If you're going to try and undermine somebody's point, at least address the bloody point.

So (seen as I can't be arsed to find out myself), how did we fare in our last 19 games last season? And how are we doing this season?

I'm sure using that as a metric will tell the same story as your highly selective '7 games' stat, if you're right.