You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock?

Megadrive Man

There was a case to keep Dalglish on' date=' in the interests of stability alone. Just because they sacked him, it really doesn't mean they should keep sacking people. Sooner or later, you (one) have got to give a manage time. Again, even if it's in the interest of stability alone. Is a club that sacks manager after manager an attractive proposition to players? I really don't know the answer to that question but I can't imagine is a positive thing when they look at potential clubs.

Dalglish has gone. Move the fuck on. Rodgers deserves more time. As did Kenny. But, then, I can see cases for getting rid of both. Saying that, I'm more from the school that managers deserve both time and support. Until it's exceedingly obvious they won't succeed. That's not the case with Rodgers. Not in my view anyway.

Can you expand on this?[/quote']

Out of his depth like in over his head like a rookie driver in a formula 1 car like a manager with one years premier league experience in charge at a 5 time european cup winning club like,etc,etc.

Out of his depth like in over his head like a rookie driver in a formula 1 car like a manager with one years premier league experience in charge at a 5 time european cup winning club like,etc,etc.

Thanks for that.

Fortunately, like most literates, I know what 'out of his depth' means. But what gives you this impression?

Thanks for that.

Fortunately, like most literates, I know what 'out of his depth' means. But what gives you this impression?

I personally think out his depth would be having his arse handed to him week in, week out and finishing much lower than we will. I think 'treading water' is a better water based comparison.

When was the last time we failed to beat Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U and Everton (possibly) in a season?

If we dont beat Everton, the only team above us we have beat will be Spurs.

Last season we beat all team above us apart from Spurs if we include the cups.

I think Rodgers has displayed plenty of potential, but it's also apparent that he simply does not possess the experience necessary to be left to his own devices in this job at the present time. I would suggest that he needs to report to a more seasoned football man, and in the event that such a working relationship is something his pride cannot take, well, the summer is as good a time as any to move on.

I think Rodgers has displayed plenty of potential, but it's also apparent that he simply does not possess the experience necessary to be left to his own devices in this job at the present time. I would suggest that he needs to report to a more seasoned football man, and in the event that such a working relationship is something his pride cannot take, well, the summer is as good a time as any to move on.

This .

Is Rodgers a laughing stock? Generally, no - however, one place where it conceivably counts - in the eyes of those who run other big teams, league winners, CL winners, contenders here and elsewhere - his appointment is an enigma. Why would a club the size of, with the fanbase and history of Liverpool hire someone with an utterly undistinguished and short term track record, no experience of being a winner or playing in Europe and no experience of managing, buying or dealing with top-flight players? It's a good question - and most of the answer lies within the mind of Ian Ayre - the man who undercut Dalglish and actively campaigned against the return of Benitez. Rodgers for him, was 'maleable'. Why do you need a DoF when you have a fatherly word from Ian Ayre to set you right? If there is a pantomime villain in this saga, Ian is the one wearing the top hat, twiddling his moustache as he rides off laughing into the sunset on his Harley.

So that leaves us Rodgers qualities to debate. I didn't want him - I'll be honest. If you want your prized and loved one time top-flight sports car which is not beyond repair to blitz the roads once again, you don't give it to a learner driver to play with - especially a dogmatic learner driver who thinks football is played out on paper, in dossiers, with stats. Rodgers did well at Swansea - a team of moderate expectations, but he did it by taking on the good work of predecessors Roberto Martinez and Paulo Sousa - and peaked. His work at Reading and Watford is best forgotten if you are fans of those clubs, he lasted just 6 months in each job. As mentioned, Brendan like statistics his highest win percentage with any team he has managed is just 44.00% - with Liverpool. His overall career win percentage is just 39.80%.

To any of us who have been watching football - and this football club in particular - for the last 50 years, any man who comes in talking about his 'philosophy', his 'project' and swinging a 180 page dossier around is cause for concern - especially when it's built on an unproven, insubstantial base which is made up of two thirds abject failure. Compare this to Benitez's early interviews 'I didn't come here to learn English but to win trophies' - Benitez frequently talked of winning trophies and challenging for the top spot...I haven't heard that once from Rodgers...in fact I've heard him say not being in the Europa league next year (i.e., not in contention for a European trophy and the experience it brings the younger players etc) might be 'a blessing'. Oh dear.

Tactically he is naive in extremis - his midfield is always underplayed and lightweight so they are relatively easy to go around or even right through so exposing the back four, and his forward line without Suarez would be, and has been toothless. His shopping for players extends to revisiting old haunts, with bright prospect Coutinho being fingered as a buy by a 'panel' rather than himself - well, there's a story there for another day. Rodgers also seems to think winning is a bonus, rather than the object of the game - playing prettily with lots of possession seemingly matters more - or that's the veneer he likes to gloss over another defeat or draw with.

He is another young, inexperienced British manager with a very high opinion of himself and little in his past to justify that opinion. It was not a clever appointment, it may yet prove much less than that. My opinion - for what it's worth - is as with Kenny's choice of summer buys, on the whole, avoid British - for managers too - even more so those who seem lost in their own hype and manage expectations downward accordingly - and anyone Ian Ayre likes.

So - Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock? No - but if he stays in charge much longer without clear, definitive, inarguable improvement in his approach, his buys and most importantly his results, Liverpool Football Club just might be.

you're the one making accusations, back it up. I suspect you can't because I'm fairly certain there's no one guilty of what you suggest.

Read the thread, Scott. I quoted it about 3 posts before your original post. It wouldn't have taken a lot of effort on your part.

Is Rodgers a laughing stock? Generally' date=' no - however, one place where it conceivably counts - in the eyes of those who run other big teams, league winners, CL winners, contenders here and elsewhere - his appointment is an enigma. Why would a club the size of, with the fanbase and history of Liverpool hire someone with an utterly undistinguished and short term track record, no experience of being a winner or playing in Europe and no experience of managing, buying or dealing with top-flight players? It's a good question - and most of the answer lies within the mind of Ian Ayre - the man who undercut Dalglish and actively campaigned against the return of Benitez. Rodgers for him, was 'maleable'. Why do you need a DoF when you have a fatherly word from Ian Ayre to set you right? If there is a pantomime villain in this saga, Ian is the one wearing the top hat, twiddling his moustache as he rides off laughing into the sunset on his Harley.

So that leaves us Rodgers qualities to debate. I didn't want him - I'll be honest. If you want your prized and loved one time top-flight sports car which is not beyond repair to blitz the roads once again, you don't give it to a learner driver to play with - especially a dogmatic learner driver who thinks football is played out on paper, in dossiers, with stats. Rodgers did well at Swansea - a team of moderate expectations, but he did it by taking on the good work of predecessors Roberto Martinez and Paulo Sousa - and peaked. His work at Reading and Watford is best forgotten if you are fans of those clubs, he lasted just 6 months in each job. As mentioned, Brendan like statistics his highest win percentage with any team he has managed is just 44.00% - with Liverpool. His overall career win percentage is just 39.80%.

To any of us who have been watching football - and this football club in particular - for the last 50 years, any man who comes in talking about his 'philosophy', his 'project' and swinging a 180 page dossier around is cause for concern - especially when it's built on an unproven, insubstantial base which is made up of two thirds abject failure. Compare this to Benitez's early interviews 'I didn't come here to learn English but to win trophies' - Benitez frequently talked of winning trophies and challenging for the top spot...I haven't heard that once from Rodgers...in fact I've heard him say not being in the Europa league next year (i.e., not in contention for a European trophy and the experience it brings the younger players etc) might be 'a blessing'. Oh dear.

Tactically he is naive in extremis - his midfield is always underplayed and lightweight so they are relatively easy to go around or even right through so exposing the back four, and his forward line without Suarez would be, and has been toothless. His shopping for players extends to revisiting old haunts, with bright prospect Coutinho being fingered as a buy by a 'panel' rather than himself - well, there's a story there for another day. Rodgers also seems to think winning is a bonus, rather than the object of the game - playing prettily with lots of possession seemingly matters more - or that's the veneer he likes to gloss over another defeat or draw with.

He is another young, inexperienced British manager with a very high opinion of himself and little in his past to justify that opinion. It was not a clever appointment, it may yet prove much less than that. My opinion - for what it's worth - is as with Kenny's choice of summer buys, on the whole, avoid British - for managers too - even more so those who seem lost in their own hype and manage expectations downward accordingly - and anyone Ian Ayre likes.

So - Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock? No - but if he stays in charge much longer without clear, definitive, inarguable improvement in his approach, his buys and most importantly his results, Liverpool Football Club just might be.[/quote']

Good god that is quite simply a brilliant post, repped when I get to a PC

Is Rodgers a laughing stock? Generally, no -

So - Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock? No - but if he stays in charge much longer without clear, definitive, inarguable improvement in his approach, his buys and most importantly his results, Liverpool Football Club just might be.

I can't believe the bile - and the distortion of facts - directed towards a Liverpool manager by Liverpool fans.

It amazes me. As it did with Benitez.

I can't believe the bile - and the distortion of facts - directed towards a Liverpool manager by Liverpool fans.

It amazes me. As it did with Benitez.

Have to agree. I don't recognise our club anymore. Management and fans. The fan bit started with the booing as we went top a few years ago and doesn't look like stopping anytime soon.

He has reached the point of no return for me. He is finished for me.

At the moment I'd take Hyypia & Carra, or even Carra alone and give him 8 seasons before we see how good he is, over Rodgers and his backroom army of clowns.

We need to re-discover our identity on and off the pitch.

Edited by Nightcat

This is absolute bollocks. This seems to be creeping in all over the place. It sounds very intelligent on paper and you will get lots of divvy's saying yeah you are right and sucking your cock to sound intelligent themselves. Practically, however, I haven't seen one person actually explain what they mean.

"Yeah, get an experienced football man above him, he needs to be told he should have brought a sub on 10 mins earlier by Louis Van Gaal"

What sort of advice would this person be giving Rodgers?

Who to play? Where to play them? Who to sign? How would Rodgers actually be able to manage anything if the person we hire doesn't agree with anything he is doing? Does Rodgers start doing everything they say or just some things? Which things should he agree to and which is he allowed to ignore? What if Rodgers thinks a player is absolutely integral to us moving forward but the "experienced football man" thinks he's a bag of shite? Who makes the final decision? If it's Rodgers why have that man there at all?

It's the biggest load of shit ever. We got an experienced football man in and you know what he spent 35 million on Andy Carroll. Anyone is capable of making a howler as Kenny proved.

It's a complete contradiction. You either think Rodgers is good enough or you don't. If you want a guy above Rodgers telling him where he is going wrong then why don't you have that guy in charge in the first place.

I reckon that's what Rodgers told the board when they hired him and he's right.

Experience is no guarantee of success just as much as inexperience is no guarantee of potential. The club made a decision to not hire a big name who has just played real life champ manager for the past 5 years of their career and decided to give a young manager with a fresh approach and ideas.

All these "mistakes" which people keep talking about as well are a load of shit. If you go back through Dave's reports I think you will probably remind yourself you pretty much agreed with every side selection he has made since the start of the season apart from the odd one. His substitutions have by and large been great as well. Everyone likes to whinge after the fact but he always picks our strongest team based on form.

This is absolute bollocks. This seems to be creeping in all over the place. It sounds very intelligent on paper and you will get lots of divvy's saying yeah you are right and sucking your cock to sound intelligent themselves. Practically, however, I haven't seen one person actually explain what they mean.

All these "mistakes" which people keep talking about as well are a load of shit. If you go back through Dave's reports I think you will probably remind yourself you pretty much agreed with every side selection he has made since the start of the season apart from the odd one. His substitutions have by and large been great as well. Everyone likes to whinge after the fact but he always picks our strongest team based on form.

Bra-fucking-vo.

Top stuff again, TG.

He has reached the point of no return for me. He is finished for me.

At the moment I'd take Hyypia & Carra, or even Carra alone and give him 8 seasons before we see how good he is, over Rodgers and his backroom army of clowns.

We need to re-discover our identity on and off the pitch.

It would almost be worth it to see what type of cunt you would turn into next.

The Carra could get us relegated to the fourth tier of football and even then you would be adamant to continue with him because that's what your original decision was cunt.

or

The Carra has coughed the wrong way so I have had enough of him after 5 minutes cunt.

It would almost be worth it to see what type of cunt you would turn into next.

The Carra could get us relegated to the fourth tier of football and even then you would be adamant to continue with him because that's what your original decision was cunt.

or

The Carra has coughed the wrong way so I have had enough of him after 5 minutes cunt.

or I'd turn into a cunt with a massive dick and fuck you in the mouth.