You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock?

Megadrive Man

Should we consider not entering the two domestic cup competitions?

or or or wait wait... or or... or we could instead replace Rodgers with a top manager who has the skills to develop young players and who is tactically sound and is able to compete for trophies and who isn't trying hide his mediocrity behind silly arguments.

Just an idea.

It seems that Brendan is managing our expectations down:

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says not qualifying for Europe will help Premier League chances next season

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool would be in a stronger position to challenge the Premier League's top four next season if they fail to qualify for Europe this term.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says not qualifying for Europe will help Premier League chances next season - Telegraph

A certain budgie faced cunt would have been crucified for those quotes.

Still can't believe he's actually come out and said that; dude has chronic diarrhea of the mouth-hole.

Rodgapologism is the new Hodgapologism which itself was a direct affront to Rafapologism. It's all a load of old jism.

You're either good enough, or you are not.

This season our relatively early domestic cup exits do not seem to have helped us away to Southampton, or home to West Ham.

Winning teams win.

That's exactly what he's doing, it's all about securing his position and buying time.

Perhaps we should skip the Premiership and FA Cup next season leaving us fresh for the League Cup?

I'm not a Rodgers fan by a long stretch but to be fair I agree with him there, the Europa sucks arse.

But,

You don't say things like that in public, not if you're trying to hold onto players like Suarez.

Who was it on here who called some of Rodgers' quotes Shankly-esque? And why haven't the DWP declared them fit for work yet?

I'm not a Rodgers fan by a long stretch but to be fair I agree with him there, the Europa sucks arse.

But,

You don't say things like that in public, not if you're trying to hold onto players like Suarez.

Who was it on here who called some of Rodgers' quotes Shankly-esque? And why haven't the DWP declared them fit for work yet?

There's the rub.

But,

Thats not easy when you love the sound of your own voice...

Andy Hunter

guardian.co.uk, Friday 12 April 2013 22.30 BST

Brendan Rodgers believes Borussia Dortmund's success has shown it is possible for Liverpool to take "the hardest step of all" and achieve Champions League qualification without huge investment.

The Liverpool manager sees parallels between the rebuilding job at Dortmund, who turned to youth following near bankruptcy eight years ago, and the long-term approach he has adopted at Anfield. Liverpool are currently seventh in the Premier League and Rodgers is unlikely to have a substantial transfer budget, by top-four standards at least, for improvements this summer. But he says a top-four challenge is possible next season and that the progress of Jürgen Klopp's Champions League semi-finalists provides a blueprint for clubs without the resources of a Chelsea or Manchester City.

"You can challenge [for the top four] without spending £80m in one summer," Rodgers said. "Look at the example of Borussia Dortmund. A team that won the Champions League and then struggled financially. They went out and rebuilt and it took them four to five years to push on. Then they won the league and their European work suffered. This year you can see they have put their focus on Europe and they have lost their title. That's a team that has been growing over five years.

"Unless you have got the Manchester City or Chelsea money and just bring in £70m-£80m worth in one summer to add to a Champions League-winning group, you need a different way. I think this [Dortmund's] is the best way because you are not just looking after the team but also the club. Of course, supporters will always look at the team but for me it's bigger than that to have success. It's about all aspects of the club, so that when you do arrive you are in a strong position."

Rodgers travels to Reading on Saturday hoping their new manager, Nigel Adkins, will be given time to rebuild the relegation-threatened side; time he feels was lacking when he was sacked by Reading in December 2009. He said: "The idea when I came in was to bring through young players over a period of time. Then they decided it was not the route."

And he admits taking Liverpool from seventh into the top four represents a major challenge regardless of the money available. Rodgers added: "It is the hardest step of all. Chelsea were sixth last year and look at the reinforcements they made to get back to that level again. Then look at Tottenham who were fourth and did not get into Champions League on a technicality. They spent £50m just to stay in there. It's a big ask, that's the reality, but we can really push on next year."

Liverpool manager wants to follow Borussia Dortmund's example | Football | guardian.co.uk

Why have we always got to throw in the excuses, can't we either keep quiet or convince ourselves differently. We lack ambition, we get it, we haven't got any money and other people have, we get it. Maybe If for once we used our money and bought a player or two of Suarez quality instead of 4 squad players who can dip in and out the side the climb wouldn't be so hard. Its a simple fact as clever as you think you are as a manager or tactician its players who win you things consistently. Buy fucking good players, football is supposed to be your lives surely you know good players, many fans seem too know good players. We pay a fortune to scouts and managers who take millions of pounds insert it in a glove and punch me in the solar plexus.

Why have we always got to throw in the excuses, can't we either keep quiet or convince ourselves differently. We lack ambition, we get it, we haven't got any money and other people have, we get it. Maybe If for once we used our money and bought a player or two of Suarez quality instead of 4 squad players who can dip in and out the side the climb wouldn't be so hard. Its a simple fact as clever as you think you are as a manager or tactician its players who win you things consistently. Buy fucking good players, football is supposed to be your lives surely you know good players, many fans seem too know good players. We pay a fortune to scouts and managers who take millions of pounds insert it in a glove and punch me in the solar plexus.

Nailed it there Bobby.

We have spread our cash too thin for ages.

I think any comparisons with here and Germany and Dortmund are pretty pointless and also take credit away from the excellent work Klopp has done as a manager. Look at Sahin and Kagawa both players of the year in the Bundseliga go elsewhere and the managers don’t seem to get the best out of them.

Also the German footballing system produce pretty decent talent, now no disrespect to Henderson and Shelvey but Goetze and Gündoğan are of a similar age and are on another level. Not too mention the German league seems to have Bayern at the top and there is more of a level playing field amongst a lot of other clubs. You have to be very careful when talking about other clubs budgets as it sends out the wrong message to the likes of Suarez and quality players you are trying to get in, maybe Suarez will go and join one of those clubs instead. Anyone would think Brendan was managing Everton. Bit worrying when he is talking about 50million that spurs spent. However Brendan seeing as you are talking about Dortmund can you have a word with John Tom and Ian and bring their ticket prices in...

Good players seemed to do the trick ok in the 70s and 80s.

Sadly, players from that era played more for honour and pride, not the wage.

Why bother giving your all when you know you will get the huge payout no matter how little effort you put in?

Guest San Don
Sadly, players from that era played more for honour and pride, not the wage.

Why bother giving your all when you know you will get the huge payout no matter how little effort you put in?

Because if you have a manager of note, he'll soon hoy you out the team.

The Dortmund example has merit.

A publicly owned company with fan ownership. A stadium which has been progressively developed to become one of the largest and best in Europe.A manager, who on appointment, had seven years managerial experience. A President who is a national, a politician, a vastly experienced football administrator, and is president of the German Football league.

Watching interviews its weird how wired some people's responses are. They have a series of sayings they must use to give themselves time to think or they just can't be arsed. Kenny used to say "no harm at all" and "any way shape or form". Mark lawrenson says "eh listen" too many times for his own good and fairclough on LFCtv must answer every question he agrees with.. With "very much so" Rodgers has a few too. I might pop out, I'm bored.

Good players seemed to do the trick ok in the 70s and 80s.

Good players who were sometimes signed from lower league and given time to settle. I think the average time 'fans' give the new signings in 2013 is 113 minutes. Give or take a minute.

And then it's all over the Internet forums just how shit they are and how we should have signed player a, b or c.