You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock?

Megadrive Man

The trick is to play very weakened oposition every week. Don't do this to yourselves its not a corner turned, consistency and showing it against a side that is actually wants something from the game and ill raise an eyebrow.p and maybe a glimmer of hope. We essentially played Swansea reserves, we done a great job of turning them over its a huge positive and good to take to the zenit game but I'm not thinking 4th is ours next year and by jove its finally clicked. Again. For the millionth time.

5 nil wins is what every manager wants to achieve.

Who is talking about turning corners? I mearly said that today is what Rodgers wants to achieve consistently and I believe with the right players it's possible.

My opinion hasn't changed on Rodgers, he still has a lot to prove despite a win today.

However, I'll enjoy watching the games highlights tonight. A win is a win. It may have been a weakened Swansea side, but even so we still tonked them 5 nil. That's the one thing that has impressed me so far with Rodgers time here though, out ability to properly tonk sides on occassion.

It's obvious as anything to see what Sturridge gives to our side. If only we had him in the summer and we may have been 5/6 points better off. How different would the table have looked then?!

Still, 11 games to go. If we can get 20-25 points from them I think we will finish off alright.

This place has quitened down a bit hasn't it?

Come on, please continue your rational discussion, if you cant do it after a win then you shouldnt do it after a defeat.

There are still question marks, I fully accept that, but things are moving in the right direction as a whole. The Enrique goal wasn't a training ground goal, it was a goal crafted by having wonderful players in a team at one time who can think on their feet. That goal wouldnt have happened if Downing or Sterling were on that wing, for example. Probably.

But the only way in which you can have 5 players all on the left wing, within touching distance of each other, is if the midfield and defence are ready to protect them if the ball breaks for the opposition. Lucas gives us some protection in that regard, but we sorely need Allen to find his feet again, or we need another defensive midfielder.

The defensive midfield position is so vitally important to this formation and style of overloading in the opposition half.

Both CB position are very much critical position to improve, as well as more attackers (the drop in quality when Sterling is on the pitch is staggering, and now Borini looks to be on the fringes, and Assaidi...fuck knows), but it's defensive midfield where I would be keen for us to fix first.

It was Swansea reserves I'm not going to pull my cock out and claim next year its ours and Rodgers is a genius just yet. As capable as we were yesterday we are equally as capable of Wigan embarrassing us in a couple of weeks. Consistency is when I may start to have more faith.

Good points, well made.

A win is to be enjoyed. But a few weeks ago we couldnt beat a poor league one side.

There is enough going right for me to cling to hope.

I think Rodgers has done a good job to date - but this is only under the banner that in reality this season was always year zero - The fact that FSG were quite happy to go into the season very light in terms of squad size and have since apologised regarding this help locate our position in terms of where we are against FSG expectations.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

The focus was always establishing a framework and then 'ship out' underachieving players when benchmarked against their salary and respective age. We should remember that we moved on Bellamy, Kuyt, Maxi, Aquilani, Aurelio, Adam, Cole, and Doni in addition to loaning out Carroll and Spearing for this season. That is a lot of experience, depth and ultimately salary that was removed and replaced with Allen, Borini and Assaidi and added by Sturridge and Coutinho in January this year – younger, hopefully hungrier players who have their careers in front of them.<o:p></o:p>

If Rodgers manages to get Liverpool to 60 points + with a squad is significantly leaner, younger and capacity to improve then as a starting point that is very encouraging.

The more difficult part of the transition occurs next year as we build aggressively from here- most of the easy decisions have been made - in addition Rodgers has acted decisively on Carroll who will be moved on in the summer. With the new TV deal there will be a large transfer kitty, 50M + is being speculated which needs to be invested effectively.

If you look at the Senior Players in terms of performance - Jones, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Gerrard & Suarez have had good seasons. Downing and Enrique have improved after a poor start but the likes of Reina and Skrtel have been disappointing. Lucas has been inconsistent but is coming back from a long term injury. Clearly big decisions need to be specifically around Reina – Skrtel may be given another season as Carragher is retiring and we should remember he is the current player of the year. Downing could also be vulnerable due to his salary and age not matching his overall contribution despite improvement.

Some of the younger talent has not progressed as hoped but this is the challenge of managing younger players and Rodgers having been a successful youth team coach should understand which ones need to be moved on and which ones just need more time and experience.

So where would I spend the summer kitty to ensure that we make Champions League next season, I believe we need a new Goalkeeper if the club receives a good offer for Reina, an experienced centre back to replace Carragher, a new left back to compete with Enrique and allows Robinson to be loaned out, a defensive midfielder to compete with Lucas in case he is not the same player prior to his injury, a wide player to replace Downing who scores more goals, a No.10 and a No.9 to compete with Sturridge.

That is 7 new players with possibly Reina, Carragher, Assaidi and Downing being moved on to keep the squad financially balanced. It would also allow the club to loan out the likes of Suso, Coates, Robinson, Flanagan, Robinson and maybe even Wisdom to obtain more top level experience.<o:p></o:p>

I don't think we'll see consistency until we purchase defenders that are able keep shut outs in an attack minded side because throwning so many bodies forwards is always going to leave us open to the counter attack. The Jan window was all about attacking options I think the summer window will be about defensive options.

Regardless of the opposition, our attacking football this season has at times been the best I can remember since the Evans era. I'm at a loss as to how people can't see that. The major worry - but one that I am for now willing to be patient about because of some of the football I've witnessed this year - is that at times we appear the most brittle and naive defensively since....well, the Evans era.

This place has quitened down a bit hasn't it?

Come on, please continue your rational discussion, if you cant do it after a win then you shouldnt do it after a defeat.

Don't see this at all, as long as I've been with TLW there is always less chat after a win, that human nature and its the same on other supporters forums.

People are still debating all the relevant issues and non relevant issues.

I don't think we'll see consistency until we purchase defenders that are able keep shut outs in an attack minded side because throwning so many bodies forwards is always going to leave us open to the counter attack. The Jan window was all about attacking options I think the summer window will be about defensive options.

The core defensive unit of a team is usually the goalkeeper, centre backs and the centre midfielder(s). Think Reina, Hyypia, Carragher and Macherano or Dudek, Hyppia, Henchoz and Hamman.

The current set of Reina, Skrtel, Agger and Lucas whilst talented have no doubt under-performed defensively. Lucas is coming back from a long-term injury so his inconsistent form is understandable the rest need to improve or run the risk of being replaced though Agger brings so much on the ball that his position is very unique in the European game. What we really need is a modern day Sami Hyypia, Reina from ~2006/7 and Lucas to show pre-injury form.

Regardless of the opposition, our attacking football this season has at times been the best I can remember since the Evans era. I'm at a loss as to how people can't see that. The major worry - but one that I am for now willing to be patient about because of some of the football I've witnessed this year - is that at times we appear the most brittle and naive defensively since....well, the Evans era.

I for one am dread of a repeat of the Evans era and I suspect many others do too. Millions of ineffective passes and a softly conceded goal -- as in lots of hot make out then the girl turned out to be a dude. While some of you might find it oddly titillating (NTTIAWWI -- not that there is anything wrong with it), many of the rest would find that extra, unexpected penis a massive erection killer.

Edited by neopulian

I can see that our attack has improved under Rodgers; you would have to be blind not to. I still have concerns about the regression in our defence and his relative inexperience as a manager. I would like to give him more time before I can make any kind of definitive judgement. Nothing really changed with the recent losses or the recent win, except obviously I was gutted with the losses and pleased with yesterday.

a few weeks ago we took the piss out of man city...and arsenal to a degree...

I'm not sure the performance against Arsenal was good the result was creditable. We we're good against City but then again Southampton took them apart a few days later which gave a bit of context to our performance.

It was a good performance to watch against Swansea, when sides let us play we look like a very good side. If we can start imposing our play on better quality opposition who don't sit back we'll do well. That's where our manager has to concentrate his efforts now, composure when we're under pressure and an ability to impose ourselves.

To answer the OP, I think he is a bit of a laughing stock, but he's not alone. I think as a club we've been a bit of a joke since Rafa left e.g., the whole Hodgson episode, Kenny's purchases, Suarez's racism affair, Dempsey-gate, Rodgers talking about his "philosophy", Nuri Sahin, Jen Chang. However since I support the club, I don't really care.