You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock?

Megadrive Man

Guest ShoePiss
In what way? We are going to finish with more points in the league. The Wafer Cup is still up for grabs.

Would this not represent progress?

We might, we might not. At the moment we're 3 points off where we were this time last season. Not being in two finals should help us considerably, plus having Gerrard and Suarez featuring frequently.

No not if you finish lower.

Rafa finished second with a points total that would have won it a lot of seasons. But points totals matter little as a comparison. Positions do.

Also taking in to account that towards the middle/end of the season we began to focus more on wining the cups, when it became clear that we would not get fourth.

If we don't win the Europa league this season, then we won't be in it again next season either.

26 league games in, and we are a point behind West Brom in the league.

Knocked out of both domestic cups within the first 2 rounds.

It's embarrassing that we haven't beaten any team of note all season, and look less capable too than we did last year.

We have gone backwards not forwards since last season.

We've also lost 3 experienced players who scored goals, had to rely on kids for a lot of the season, had a few injures and some individuals have made some shocking mistakes.

Things aren't going great and Rodgers has made some bad decisions during his time here, but we're it was always going to be struggle this season. Maybe we could have spent some of our money better and we should have a lot more points than we currently do, but I don't think you can blame the latter on Rodgers. I'd give him at least another two windows and judge him then, barring something truly disastrous.

Just out of curiousity: if Kenny was still our manager and we were in the exact same position we're in now, would people be ok with it? Just a supposition, not a dig or making a snide off-handed remark. I'm not going to create a poll either.

Whether its kenny or rodgers in charge I think as a club a ground zero is needed.

So much has happened that the slate needs to be wiped clean and things need to be rebuilt from the ground up.

I don't know if Rodgers is the man or whether Kenny could have done it (or another manager) but I do feel it is needed and will take 3-5 years to do. I had written the season off at the start of the campaign and I've written next year off too. After that though I expect us to challenge on all fronts. If that doesn't happen I'll prob be finished with footy. Tiddly winks after that perhaps.

Guest davelfc

He is becoming Hodgsonesque, with this constant stupid bullshit.

I disagree, he may come out with a few cringeworthy comments, they're only viewed that way because he can't seem to back them up with performances.

Hodgson was a nasty cunt. You cannot compare the two at all.

Also taking in to account that towards the middle/end of the season we began to focus more on wining the cups, when it became clear that we would not get fourth.

If we don't win the Europa league this season, then we won't be in it again next season either.

Agree very much.

Thing is I can't see us getting past Zenit. We are just too fragile. I don't think Rodgers will last into next season if we end up mid table.

I'm not for sacking managers, but I am not for flogging a dead horse in order to keep the ideal that we aren't a sacking club either. Rodgers has to prove he has the ability to earn the right to stay by meeting realistic objectives. To me that was finishing 6th no more than 9 points from 4th and a decent cup run. So far he isn't and doesn't deserve to stay in the hope he gets it right.

We've also lost 3 experienced players who scored goals, had to rely on kids for a lot of the season, had a few injures and some individuals have made some shocking mistakes.

Our best two players were missing for great swathes of last season, and we had atrocious luck with missed penalties and hitting the woodwork. Swings and roundabouts. We have not been good enough, as demonstrated by the league table, and neither were we good enough last season. No excuses.

I don't see him as a laughing stock.

He does come out with the odd cliché, but what manager doesn't?

I think the biggest problem is probably the expectation and judgment of many fans.

A few wins isn't turning a corner, and a couple of losses isn't disaster.

The PL is a tough league, and the 'landscape' of top clubs has changed. 25 years ago, Liverpool could wink at any player they fancied, and most of them would come running to the club. Whilst they still have a huge appeal, it's not quite what it was, and the appeal of other clubs has increased... it's just harder to get the best players and best managers.

Rodgers hasn't been at the club for a single season, and as an outsider, I'd say they look a more formidable outfit since he took over. Fallible? yes. Prone to erratic performances? yes, but on the whole, and much like Arsenal, you don't want to be on the receiving end of them when they are having a good day.

So he comes out with some David Brent type lines. So what?

Wenger never sees anything.

Ferguson's always moaning about crap refs when they lose.

Mancini's still getting away with saying sod all in his 'this is football' diatribe.

AVB's writing notes on a notepad just because a player took a throw in, and refuses to talk in a sensible voice.

They've all got their issues. Rodgers is no better or worse.

Just out of curiousity: if Kenny was still our manager and we were in the exact same position we're in now, would people be ok with it? Just a supposition, not a dig or making a snide off-handed remark. I'm not going to create a poll either.

If we were in this exact same position with Dalglish as manager this season, then I would also be saying that he should go. Probably even more so, as he'd have had 2 and a half years to get things right.

On this basis though, If FSG believe that Dalglish underachieved last season, then surely they must rule that Rodgers has under achieved this season too.

I wasn't expecting miracles this season, but I thought we'd at least be in the hunt for a top four place this year. I just don't see Rodgers as the man to get us back on track long term.

Rodgers, who can certainly talk the talk, perhaps doesn't walk the walk. He has infuriated Liverpool fans to the extent that on the Red and White Kop forums, a haven for the paranoid and deluded, he is something of a scapegoat.

Hahaha.

Rogers has no doubt got he gift of the gab, but who is trying to kid this season to many poor results, and slow passing. these players don't appear to be up what the manager wants.

I wasn't expecting miracles this season, but I thought we'd at least be in the hunt for a top four place this year. I just don't see Rodgers as the man to get us back on track long term.

You thought we would be in the hunt for the top4 despite not doing so for four years and with a third manager in two years, one striker and a captain who hadn't put 16 weeks in a row together for 30 months?

That says more about the state of the club than anything else on this thread.

He's bought it on himself with his stupid quotes.

If he didn't say them this thread wouldn't have been started.

He is becoming Hodgsonesque' date=' with this constant stupid bullshit.[/quote']

No he hasn't. I think he deserves the respect of the clubs supporters.

How old are you by the way? 16 maybe? I bet your wanking into your onesie in between checking back across this thread.

Agree very much.

Thing is I can't see us getting past Zenit. We are just too fragile. I don't think Rodgers will last into next season if we end up mid table.

I'm not for sacking managers, but I am not for flogging a dead horse in order to keep the ideal that we aren't a sacking club either. Rodgers has to prove he has the ability to earn the right to stay by meeting realistic objectives. To me that was finishing 6th no more than 9 points from 4th and a decent cup run. So far he isn't and doesn't deserve to stay in the hope he gets it right.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Benitez had a poor first league season, but showed in the Champions league run that he was capable of getting us to playing to a high level, also the signings of Alonso and Garcia were hugely impressive.

Rodgers hasn't given me any reason to back him for the future.

We haven't beaten any of the top clubs, and the signings of Allen and Borini haven't inspired me either.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Benitez had a poor first league season, but showed in the Champions league run that he was capable of getting us to playing to a high level, also the signings of Alonso and Garcia were hugely impressive.

Rodgers hasn't given me any reason to back him for the future.

We haven't beaten any of the top clubs, and the signings of Allen and Borini haven't inspired me either.

Rafa also came with a high reputation. And despite finishing a place lower than the previous season he won the biggest prize of all and lost another cup final to the league champions. You knew he was class and if the ownership was right he would still be here. I also think if FSG were in charge in 2009 we would have won the league by now.

Rodgers hasn't done anything before or since he got the job to make me feel anything like what Rafa or even Ged did. He must do better if he wants to stay here.

No he hasn't. I think he deserves the respect of the clubs supporters.

How old are you by the way? 16 maybe? I bet your wanking into your onesie in between checking back across this thread.

So did he actually say those quotes with his own mouth or not?

This constant drivel is clearly pulling the wool over some peoples eyes, but the results speak for themselves. What do you see in him that suggests that he will be successful here?

No but the self proclaimed "most knowledgable and loyal fanbase tm" are.

I'm embarrassed with some of the things said about our manager and how he is not only being judged on poor results but the fact he took over from Kenny.

You'll Never Walk Alone? My arse.

I don't see him as a laughing stock.

He does come out with the odd cliché, but what manager doesn't?

I think the biggest problem is probably the expectation and judgment of many fans.

A few wins isn't turning a corner, and a couple of losses isn't disaster.

The PL is a tough league, and the 'landscape' of top clubs has changed. 25 years ago, Liverpool could wink at any player they fancied, and most of them would come running to the club. Whilst they still have a huge appeal, it's not quite what it was, and the appeal of other clubs has increased... it's just harder to get the best players and best managers.

Rodgers hasn't been at the club for a single season, and as an outsider, I'd say they look a more formidable outfit since he took over. Fallible? yes. Prone to erratic performances? yes, but on the whole, and much like Arsenal, you don't want to be on the receiving end of them when they are having a good day.

So he comes out with some David Brent type lines. So what?

Wenger never sees anything.

Ferguson's always moaning about crap refs when they lose.

Mancini's still getting away with saying sod all in his 'this is football' diatribe.

AVB's writing notes on a notepad just because a player took a throw in, and refuses to talk in a sensible voice.

They've all got their issues. Rodgers is no better or worse.

No offence but if you would have told me that a City fan after the takeover would be the most intelligent poster on here I would never have believed it.

As ever, a quality post.

You thought we would be in the hunt for the top4 despite not doing so for four years and with a third manager in two years, one striker and a captain who hadn't put 16 weeks in a row together for 30 months?

That says more about the state of the club than anything else on this thread.

Yes,

On the basis that Man United and Man City would be in the top two and contest the title.

Chelsea I thought could have gone either way. They invested heavily, and I was unsure whether they would either be right up there with the two Manc clubs, or implode because they hadn't replaced Drogba. I put them in at third though.

As for the rest, Spurs sacked Redknapp, and I didn't fancy AVB as the right man to turn them round, Arsenal had lost Van Persie, so I thought they'd be weaker, and Everton didn't look any stronger than us.