You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel

Antynwa

Wish we had sold them to City in the summer. Since they've been here they've been a combination of world class, mediocre and crap. They have a 10/10 game once every 10 games and the rest of the time their performances are littered with absolute shockers.

We need to get back to basis with our defense. Like Ged did, bring in two sold defenders, and a new goal keeper.

We need to build a new defence going forward. We won't have Carragher anymore and there is no one around who can replace him or contribute the same type of leadership he has.

Fuming

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dracco will be along soon.

That is right mate. ;)

But, Agger is having an awful season defensive wise, he is directly responsible for twice as much goals than Skrtel.

Just last 6 or 8 weeks or so:

- lost Terry for the corner

- lost Jones for goal from the corner

- let RVP score

- lost Giroud

- played Dyeko on side and let him score

- yesterdays horror for both goals.

He should be dropped without a doubt, but he seems to be undroppable for Rodgers, because of his "finesse". He was also worse than Martin at Old Trafford, but he dropped Skrtel the next game.

If Brendan want´s to be fair, then he should give Martin a chance to get back in the team.

They're constantly exposed by the system we play. We have no solid central midfield like we used to and the side is much more spread out than it used to be. Franz Beckenbauer would look poor in this side.

When it comes to Agger, the first goal we conceded last night, along with the Dzeko goal by City, and the Giroud goal by Arsenal had nothing to do with midfield screening. Just appalling positioning.

The second goal last night was a one against one caused by no midfield protection - mainly due to pushing too far forward in search of an equaliser - but that's 3 goals in 3 games where Agger's lost his man from a set piece or in open play and it's cost us.

I do think we're too open at times and it's a problem that needs to be addressed, but Agger's awareness in the penalty area over the last few weeks has been utterly dreadful: that run from McCauley last night was nothing special, just a standard run from a centre back during a corner but Agger made him look like Gerd Muller.

They're constantly exposed by the system we play. We have no solid central midfield like we used to and the side is much more spread out than it used to be. Franz Beckenbauer would look poor in this side.

It's not particularly complex. Have a redoubtable coach on staff who knows how to drill a defensive unit and you'll get the type of performances that prompt £20m offers from the champions. Play them in a team where the defensive system doesn't extend past "God, I really hope Suarez scores" and they won't be effective.

I think they've both been dodgy as fuck for ages, but I think you don't have to be a genius to see theres more at play than just 2 lads going to shite in terms of how defensively poor we are this year.

Skrtel and Agger are good defenders, always have been. But this year we're just all out of sorts.

Set pieces as an example, we seem to be worse now than ever before, which is some fucking achievement. And its a team problem, not just the 2 centre halfs.

I think we should fuck the manager and coach off, save us a few million pounds which we can spend on another player!

Just get all the players to read the same textbook that Piscinin reads and everything will be sorted!

System my arse! If you have one defender over 6'3 and they have four players over 6'3 and good delivery chances are you will struggle, we did. Add in a lapse in concentration and chances are you will concede from set peices, just as we did last season and as we did under Rafa (are we forgetting the big 'zonal' marking debate?).

You can play any system under the sun - it isn't about sytems it is about bad defending.

When did we revert to man to man marking? Noticed last night that we had no one positioned in zones and that we conceded the goal by being blocked from following ones attacker.....

No way should a ball be allowed into the area where they scored from without any of our players defending that area....

I don't mind man to man marking of their best aerial attackers, but we still need to defend the dangerous zones in our box.....

Ah. "Individual mistakes" is back from the dead. I thought given that we've played 13 games in the past 2 months and conceded 20 goals in that time, nobody would be crazy enough to try and resurrect it.

It isn't all down to individual mistakes, that is obvious - but Stoke (first goal a slip), second goal (unmarked), Oldham (second goal a keeper spill), Arsenal (first goal lost man), City (Reina mistake), last night (lost man).

That is 7 of those goals that can definately be attributed to 'individual mistakes'.

The only consistency is bad defending, the system is a dead herring.

In my opinion obviously.

Yes, we should have sold them. Because the problem are indivuduals, not the system or our defensive and overall set up and training. Whatever you say.

The fact that the same defence was third best in the league last season or that FSG targeted Martinez, whose team is proudly the worst defence in the league(51 conceded and counting) and sits 19th and then Rodgers does not say anything to you.

I think we should fuck the manager and coach off, save us a few million pounds which we can spend on another player!

Just get all the players to read the same textbook that Piscinin reads and everything will be sorted!

System my arse! If you have one defender over 6'3 and they have four players over 6'3 and good delivery chances are you will struggle, we did. Add in a lapse in concentration and chances are you will concede from set peices, just as we did last season and as we did under Rafa (are we forgetting the big 'zonal' marking debate?).

You can play any system under the sun - it isn't about sytems it is about bad defending.

So you are saying benitez and/or Catenaccio wouldn't get a better defesnive performance out of these players. OK! You should retire from football if you believe that.

Let me juxtapose the system and bad defending for you. That goal you refer to was conceded due to a failure of an individual and a failure of the system. Agger lost his man, error. In a properly drilled system though the zonal defender (Borini?) would not have run out of the zone from which 70% of goals are scored. He would have stayed there and been able to block the run. Just like Olsson did to Agger to get Macauley free in the first place.

But our system or more properly our player's ability to play this system, doesn't compensate for individual errors, it exacerbates them.

By all means support the manager in whatever way you see fit, but you will not be able to pull the wool over the eyes of everyone. So don't try, or if you do, up your game. Read a book maybe?

When did we revert to man to man marking? Noticed last night that we had no one positioned in zones and that we conceded the goal by being blocked from following ones attacker.....

No way should a ball be allowed into the area where they scored from without any of our players defending that area....

I don't mind man to man marking of their best aerial attackers, but we still need to defend the dangerous zones in our box.....

Yesterday was a hybrid 3 man zonal line + man markers. We've fucked about so much on that score I doubt anyone knows what's going on.

Guest San Don
So you are saying benitez and/or Catenaccio wouldn't get a better defesnive performance out of these players. OK! You should retire from football if you believe that.

Let me juxtapose the system and bad defending for you. That goal you refer to was conceded due to a failure of an individual and a failure of the system. Agger lost his man, error. In a properly drilled system though the zonal defender (Borini?) would not have run out of the zone from which 70% of goals are scored. He would have stayed there and been able to block the run. Just like Olsson did to Agger to get Macauley free in the first place.

But our system or more properly our player's ability to play this system, doesn't compensate for individual errors, it exacerbates them.

By all means support the manager in whatever way you see fit, but you will not be able to pull the wool over the eyes of everyone. So don't try, or if you do, up your game. Read a book maybe?

Fucking hell, you sound just like graham taylor!

Daniel Agger þ@DanielAgger

I agree with most of you. My performance the last 10 minutes of yesterday's game was NOT good enough. It's as simple as that!!!!!

But thank you for letting me know:0)))))))

What about the other errors though Danny lad?

I've never, ever, been sold on Skrtel as a top class defender. He's mentally very, very fragile and can get traumatised by aggressive attackers.

Agger is a weird one. He's now playing without injury, which is something I thought we'd never see, but he's got a touch of the David Luiz's about him, he's not concentrating for 90 mins, he seems to get bored in defence almost. The way Lukaku stepped past him was atrocious, he may as well have not been there, literally.

That said, again another shot just pours through Reina.

We're at a stage now where there needs to be wholesale changes. Bit like United in the Summer of 2005 when they went and bought Van Der Sar, Evra, Vidic. Our stability has just gone, we're shaky as fuck and we need to bed some foundations in for the rest of the team to build from. I dont even think Reina's distribution is a feature anymore, in fact there's very little he seems good at now.

If we got £10m for each of them, I'd be happy. Which is shocking because we turned down £20m bids for both our centre backs in the Summer, but like the stupid cunts we are, we begged them to sign new contracts. I'd never pay more than £10m for a defender or goalkeeper, ever. Limited role, limited skill set, they get paid accordingly and so we should be paying for them accordingly.

And you can fuck off with any talk of Subotic or Hummels or established elite CB's. Big Hutu warlord CB's, that's what we need. £2m each.

Both in open play and set pieces.

People keep talking about getting new players in, well here is a revolutionary idea, why not get a new manager who knows how to actually set up a team instead.

Far cheaper and who knows, maybe we can start lookming like being able to win something again.