You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shaving Thread

Sugar Ape

When shaving, I...  

136 members have voted

1. 1. When shaving, I...

• Use a Bic/disposable
    • Use a cartridge razor, Mach 3, Fusion etc...
    • Use a Cut Throat Razor
    • Use a Double Edge Safety Razor
    • Maintain stubble
    • Leave a 'tache
    • Fuck shaving, I've got a beard.

50 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

After using Philips for about 40 years I got rid of my last one for that reason.

I ended up getting a top of the range Panasonic foil shaver.

It took a week or so for my skin to adapt to the change from rotary and the shaving head is pretty big but it really is superb once you get used to it.

It's the closest shave I've ever had off a lecky anyway.

I can get a little sore under the jawline sometimes but a little balm sorts that out.

Yeah, I found the Braun foil shaver head very smooth and comfortable. Was good at getting stubble on my cheeks and neck but didnt do much either side of the chin. Could never figure out why.

If Id have got a good shave all over with the Braun, Id have stuck with it as it was a lot more comfortable than 3 shaving heads.

Never tried a Panasonic out.

1 minute ago, Harry's Lad said:

Mine was the top one. Nowhere near as good as the 7000 it replaced.

The Panasonic is brilliant for me though.

Cool. I might look at a Panasonic when this phillips final stops recharging. The good thing about Phillishaves is they have self sharpening cutters which is probably why my old one still works well!

7 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Cool. I might look at a Panasonic when this phillips final stops recharging. The good thing about Phillishaves is they have self sharpening cutters which is probably why my old one still works well!

They used to but I'm not sure if they still do.

The 9000 I had was ok for the first few months but really poor after that so I got in touch with Philips who sent me a free set of heads, but they were the same, and they're expensive to buy.

The quality certainly isn't what it was in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Philips now have something to do with a firm called Norelco, coincidence maybe, but I've definitely been put off Philips.

I'm still using the same head on the Panasonic and after 18 months of daily shaving there hasn't been a drop off in the quality or comfort of the shave, but that's for me, others might find differently. 

I always assumed electric shavers were shit and I have a very thick beard. But I was getting annoyed as I couldn’t clippers close enough for my head.

So I bought a Braun foil shaver for the head and it does a great job and much quicker, and then just carry on over my face. my beard grows so fast and thick that I have issues with getting the sides of the chin unless I let it grow out a bit. 

all in all would recommend.

• 1 year later...

What’s everyone using for a cartridge razor these days?

I always leave it until the last minute, so safety razors don’t work for me. 

I tried Gillette labs last time - costs more, zero benefit for the extra cost in my opinion. 

Looking for suggestions here. 

1 hour ago, Alan Sex said:

What’s everyone using for a cartridge razor these days?

I always leave it until the last minute, so safety razors don’t work for me. 

I tried Gillette labs last time - costs more, zero benefit for the extra cost in my opinion. 

Looking for suggestions here. 

What's your reason for not using a safety razor? 

47 minutes ago, Alan Sex said:

I always remember to shave as I’m going out of the door. 

no time to lather up and take my time!

Just make time mr sex. 

Because by the sounds of it. Even you know cartridge razors are a pile of steaming dogshite. 

Pick yourself up a shaving bowl from this crowd, and just have your shave after your shower 

https://www.rasoigoodfellas.eu/category/shaving/shaving-accessories/shaving-bowls/

• 1 month later...

Dont have the time anymore to sharpen my cut throats so i have resorted to buying a straight razor with replaceable blades. It takes the single edge blades that you snap in 2 from a double edge feather.

The economy of it is astounding.

1 razor = £6

200 double edge blades = £11

200 blades then becomes 400 single blades, these can be used front and back so 800 blades. each blade can provide roughly 3 good shaves per side - 2600 shaves

Shaving twice a week = 100 times a year

I have 26 years worth of blades at a cost of 0.4p per shave without the cost of shaving soap.

All i need now is an industrial or whale size piece of shaving soap to complete my economy drive.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Dont have the time anymore to sharpen my cut throats so i have resorted to buying a straight razor with replaceable blades. It takes the single edge blades that you snap in 2 from a double edge feather.

The economy of it is astounding.

1 razor = £6

200 double edge blades = £11

200 blades then becomes 400 single blades, these can be used front and back so 800 blades. each blade can provide roughly 3 good shaves per side - 2600 shaves

Shaving twice a week = 100 times a year

I have 26 years worth of blades at a cost of 0.4p per shave without the cost of shaving soap.

All i need now is an industrial or whale size piece of shaving soap to complete my economy drive.

3 good shaves per side?  fucking hell Bluto

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1