You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Danny Baker's..

Stouffer

33 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

His initial responses yesterday were poorly worded and whilst that above is far more believable he has still managed a few lines to make himself look a dick. Had that been the first response I think a lot less people would be outraged. As I said yesterday, If the same BBC employee had been held in a higher regard, I very much doubt they would have sacked him. 

I think the problem with the apology is that he admitted he’s not ignorant as to the impact and connotations of the comparison, admitted that it was racist, but claimed he was unaware that it was Meghan Markle’s child and thought it was for some other royal baby. Which I find incredibly hard to believe, considering her pregnancy has been headline news for months, and he works for the bbc. It’s possible he’s telling the truth but it smells like a load of bullshit. 

9 minutes ago, moof said:

What are you, a snowflake?

If I was a snowflake I would have taken offence to it when you first used it. I didn't, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but you seem to be doubling down on it.

But I'm interested to know your views on this 'closeness to black' thing so have some questions. Did you not realise that it could be offensive, and having made such a strong stance on what is racist you feel you can't admit to posting something that could be offensive? Or having found out you don't give a shit that it is offensive? Or do you still not think that it is offensive after me explaining why it could be offensive? I'm going to assume that you didn't already know that it was potentially offensive, I hope I'm not wrong there?

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, moof said:

I think the problem with the apology is that he admitted he’s not ignorant as to the impact and connotations of the comparison, admitted that it was racist, but claimed he was unaware that it was Meghan Markle’s child and thought it was for some other royal baby. Which I find incredibly hard to believe, considering her pregnancy has been headline news for months, and he works for the bbc. It’s possible he’s telling the truth but it smells like a load of bullshit. 

I don't buy it that he didn't know which baby it was, he probably panicked a bit there. What I do believe is that he didn't quite realise he stumbled into a racist trope with the picture. Being black or mixed race is  hardly the first thing you associate young Master Archie with.    

1 hour ago, The Woolster said:

If I was a snowflake I would have taken offence to it when you first used it. I didn't, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but you seem to be doubling down on it.

But I'm interested to know your views on this 'closeness to black' thing so have some questions. Did you not realise that it could be offensive, and having made such a strong stance on what is racist you feel you can't admit to posting something that could be offensive? Or having found out you don't give a shit that it is offensive? Or do you still not think that it is offensive after me explaining why it could be offensive? I'm going to assume that you didn't already know that it was potentially offensive, I hope I'm not wrong there?

I apologise for offending you. I’m not that kind of player 

• Upvote 1

The danger of Twitter - being able to publish something to a potential audience of millions in an instant. And once it's posted, that's it, ain't no coming back. You might as well publish it on the front page of a newspaper. People should really think twice before clicking Tweet. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, moof said:

I didn't even know that she was pregnant so I don't think that is a ridiculous thing to say,but then I purposely avoid news programmes and completely avoid anything that arises related to the monarchy. He is also in a position where he keeps eyes on current affairs so it is a bit flimsy in his case.

Dubious, hipster-level claims of being completely unaware of probably the number 2 rolling 24-hour news story in the UK for the past 9 months - not totally indifferent to it, as the rest of us who couldn’t give a single fuck about the royal family are, but actually never having been exposed to it a single time even accidentally - aside, Baker was certainly aware of it.

He retweeted a comment requesting suggested names for this exact baby of this exact royal couple in the days before it was born, with his being ‘Homer Wallis Simpson’. You know, referencing the previous Anglo-US royal marriage, and coincidentally directly naming someone who’s in the now infamous photo.

Irrespective of anything else, he’s obviously caught himself out while trying to explain it away and is now making a bit of a tit of himself mixing up his stories.

• Upvote 4