You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Danny Baker's..

Stouffer

8 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I think if it was deliberately racist the media attention would be appropriate because that would have been a really vile thing to do (associating a newborn baby with a mixed race bakground with a monkey) and he is still relatively well known.  

Yes, actual racism needs to be called out.

To help fight racism, I think we actually need racists to be more overtly racist so that those with ignorance may see it for what it is, although there would be some short term pain with that. But its another reason why we the approach of being outraged may do more harm, in my opinion it would be far better to question, attempt to understand, and discuss.

3 hours ago, redheart said:

No I am saying that there is no racism here. His picture was a general poke at the royals. A shit joke no more no less.

People who whine about being offended etc constantly as if that entitle them to something just piss me off.

We have become a world where anyone who does not like something demands immediate vengeance of biblical levels. Its pathetic

The image he posted had racist connotations.  

I'm not aware of anyone who has taken offence to this act as if it entitles them to something.  You're taking Stephen Fry's quote hideously out of context, in that respect.

All that's happened is the BBC, a publicly funded organisation with an image to uphold, has made an independent decision which they feel is in their best interests.  

Talk of "immediate vengeance of biblical levels" is just silly and makes you the one who is blowing things out of proportion.  

20 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Why wouldn’t he? 

Well, with those ears, Lineker must be a bit sensitive to chimpanzee comparisons.

(This joke was prevetted to ensure Gary Lineker had no recent ancestors who weren't white)

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, TK421 said:

The image he posted had racist connotations.  

I'm not aware of anyone who has taken offence to this act as if it entitles them to something.  You're taking Stephen Fry's quote hideously out of context, in that respect.

All that's happened is the BBC, a publicly funded organisation with an image to uphold, has made an independent decision which they feel is in their best interests.  

Talk of "immediate vengeance of biblical levels" is just silly and makes you the one who is blowing things out of proportion.  

if you don't think that hysterical fannies overreacted and demanded bizarre vengeance just look at twitter

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, redheart said:

if you don't think that hysterical fannies overreacted and demanded bizarre vengeance just look at twitter

I doubt that had anything to do with the decision the BBC made.  

If people found the image Danny Baker posted offensive then they have the right to express that.  Is that fair enough?  

This last account seems to be a parody account.

Other reactions look way over the top, mostly from people you just know actively search for stuff to be outraged about.

Reminds me of that H&M's cutest monkey in the jungle thing.

22 hours ago, 16613 said:

Older people should either stay off social media or have someone that posts for them that can spot any possible fuck ups. Bit late for DB but a warning for anyone that has a large following that uses it often.  

Haha!  Fucking hell

2 hours ago, The Woolster said:

Danny Baker didn't send the card, I did, so interested to hear your view

Obviously, the trope of “black person is an ape” plays in to centuries old ideas of eugenics and race thinking, so any comparison is just plain wrong. It’s structural, often unconscious. Intent is really quite irrelevant 

24 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Still, at least that's the last time docker's son Danny Baker dares to use his privilege to clobber the 7th in line to the throne.

Hilarious that you think privilege isn’t in play when it comes to questions of race 

Just now, moof said:

Hilarious that you think privilege isn’t in play when it comes to questions of race 

I think it's hilarious that you think Baker has more privilege than a future prince of the realm. And that intent doesn't matter.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog said:

I think it's hilarious that you think Baker has more privilege than a future prince of the realm. And that intent doesn't matter.

You don’t understand privilege, thanks for letting us know. Meghan Markle is privileged in terms of class but vulnerable on race. 

1 minute ago, moof said:

You don’t understand privilege, thanks for letting us know. Meghan Markle is privileged in terms of class but vulnerable on race. 

I understand privilege just fine. What I'm doing is pointing out that it doesn't make a jot of sense.

Baker is more concerned about protecting his own image than apologising to the people he offended.  He did not take ownership of his mistake, instead talking nonsense about his "mind not diseased".  Even in his latest apology from twitter this morning the clear concern is for himself.  The worst day of his life etc.

He should have just apologised instead of reaching out for pity.

As for this entire debacle. He posted a picture, probably out of ignorance. I've no real issue with him getting the sack, but calling him a racist, putting him the same box as white supremacists who lynched black people or gassed Jews... no. That's silly. He did something daft and paid the price. The rush to label people is pretty worrying, in my view. Along with the social media mindset that has become the norm for many over the last decade, there has come some disturbing side effects. This moral outrage at everything, always, is becoming fucking retarded ridiculous.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, moof said:

Obviously, the trope of “black person is an ape” plays in to centuries old ideas of eugenics and race thinking, so any comparison is just plain wrong. It’s structural, often unconscious. Intent is really quite irrelevant 

I did not see my dad as an ape, he just looked like one... some white people look like apes, like Gareth Bale. The vast majority of black people do not look like apes.

Jokes aside though, if it is structural and unconscious, then intent is absolutely relevant! It signifies the difference between someone who is ignorant, perhaps through circumstance, and someone who is an actual racist.