You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Danny Baker's..

Stouffer

6 hours ago, moof said:

It’s racist. It stands alone as being racist, you don’t need to contextualise it with all of his views for the last 40 years. Portraying the first mixed race royal baby as a chimp? Yeah, fuck right off with that one 

Something is only racist if it is meant in a racist way. In my experience, the majority of 'racist' comments are due to ignorance rather than racism, otherwise it is people of a certain age where their long term memory has overpowered their short term memory (Amber Rudd callinf Dianna Abbot coloured comes to mind), or people just not thinking or putting 2 and 2 together, which is possible in this case, but I don't enough about him to say. The vast minority are actually racist.

I think it is very unfortunate that the conversation about what racism is has generally been reduced to the lowest common denominator, which in my view has been driven by mainly white, middle class people who abhor racism, without thinking about the bigger picture because it doesn't affect them. Many people are now too scared to talk about racism in case they say something that might cause offence and get labelled a racist. As I said, in most cases I think it is ignorance, but if conversations are not being had it means the people with ignorant views could be missing out on the chance learn why their views are wrong.

And with racism being reduced to the lowest common denominator, it draws the discussion away fro the real issues of racism. The irony that he has been sacked by an entity that is quite possibly institutionally racist has not been lost on me.   

• Upvote 14

Was he actually sacked for being racist or for not realizing that his tweet has racist implications (if we go with the previously making the royals as monkeys connection theory), i.e. lack of awareness that people would go bananas because this time it's a mixed race royal baby so he should use a different anti-royal joke?   

6 hours ago, moof said:

Sorry, but comparing a black person to a chimpanzee will always be racist 

I am mixed race, my dad was black (light skinned), he was wrinkly and usually very grumpy, for his birthday once when I was in my teens I got him a card with a picture of a grumpy looking gorilla. Was that (I) racist?

17 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Was he actually sacked for being racist or for not realizing that his tweet has racist implications (if we go with the previously making the royals as monkeys connection theory), i.e. lack of awareness that people would go bananas because this time it's a mixed race royal baby so he should use a different anti-royal joke?   

Bananas?

C2557724-4D2F-414E-8E67-DFE8F50F21F7.gif

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Dave D said:

He's quite good on the Radio. He's certainly not racist. Should have known better really, the Twitter mafia wont stand for it.

BBC will be quite chuffed at the moral points it thinks its scored.

He will pitch up on Talksport before you know it    

He’s got a podcast on the go with lineker, decent enough listen for an hour on the bike.

i was aware of the tweet, but only grasped the full connotations of it above - the joy of not having the birth of royal kids rammed down yer throat when you avoid the standard media.

5 hours ago, mars said:

And isn't it a positive that lots of people were offended? Suggests to me that today more people have a better awareness of what might offend others. 

Kind of covered this point in my other post, on the face of it, it does seem positive, but if that offence turn to outrage, then it potentially does more damage than good.

35 minutes ago, The Woolster said:

I am mixed race, my dad was black (light skinned), he was wrinkly and usually very grumpy, for his birthday once when I was in my teens I got him a card with a picture of a grumpy looking gorilla. Was that (I) racist?

It certainly would be if Danny baker had sent it to him, yeah 

6 hours ago, mars said:

Isn't Baker being sacked for his lack of judgement? The BBC cannot be certain that this was an honest mistake so I can understand why they did what they did. Whatever reason Baker gives, he failed to see how inappropriate the image was.

And isn't it a positive that lots of people were offended? Suggests to me that today more people have a better awareness of what might offend others. 

Does that make me a snowflake?

How may people would have been offended if this had been say Trent Alexander’s kid? There will be load of band wagon jumping fucking royalists who are seething at a jumper up commoner having a poke at royalty, needless to say probably a few of them are of a less ethically moral standing with regards to bigotry and ethnicity than Danny Baker.

I cant stand to listen to Danny Baker, he irritates (d) the fuck out of me, I'd rather listen to some local radio dj prattling on about the Norwich pedestrianisation scheme. I really dont like the cunt and would be quite happy if i never heard his voice again.

Reading this thread I now learn that the chimpanzee thing is a theme he uses to have a dig/take the piss out of royals. If this is true does the picture tweeted now actually become a error of judgement rather than a deliberate racist statement? In my opinion he just hasnt considered Meghans background and i'm pretty sure there is no deep down racist intent.

Ban the fucker off the radio but do it because hes an annoying self satisfied knob

13 hours ago, TK421 said:

Racism?  So fucking what, doesn't bother Redheart.  Go figure...

No I am saying that there is no racism here. His picture was a general poke at the royals. A shit joke no more no less.

People who whine about being offended etc constantly as if that entitle them to something just piss me off.

We have become a world where anyone who does not like something demands immediate vengeance of biblical levels. Its pathetic

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, The Woolster said:

Yes. Yes you are. You massive, massive racist. 

• Upvote 1

I think if it was deliberately racist the media attention would be appropriate because that would have been a really vile thing to do (associating a newborn baby with a mixed race background with a monkey) and he is still relatively well known.  

10 hours ago, moof said:

It certainly would be if Danny baker had sent it to him, yeah 

17 hours ago, moof said:

Hypothetical? Why not deal with the reality? It was a racist tweet

Danny Baker didn't send the card, I did, so interested to hear your view

12 hours ago, The Woolster said:

Was it Che Guevara? 

• Upvote 1