You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Danny Baker's..

Stouffer

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Humour from the dark ages (No pun intended). The type of thing Jim Davidson would tweet for a bit of publicity. I don’t think Danny Baker is racist. Just a bit thick. I dont think the BBC had much choice what with the public outcry although if it was someone less dispensable (Attenbrough for example) then would they fuck have fired him. 

They didn't fire Ross for his and Brand's disgusting messages to Andrew Sachs. 

31 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

He's a knob, no idea if he meant it but if his defence was "didn't realise the connotations of a mixed race child being lampooned by a monkey picture" then he's also an idiot.

I don't think you'll find anyone that doesn't think him an idiot, the problem is he's being labelled a racist. I know the two aren't mutually exclusive. Being an idiot doesn't wreck your life, stop you from doing your job but being labelled a racist in the media will do just that to him. 

I don't believe him when he says that he didn't realise the connotations, and I don't believe him when he says it was a joke about "Royals vs circus animals" because that makes no sense at all.  

Call me a precious snowflake but I think cunts like this deserve everything they get.

6 minutes ago, Onkalo said:

I don't think you'll find anyone that doesn't think him an idiot, the problem is he's being labelled a racist. I know the two aren't mutually exclusive. Being an idiot doesn't wreck your life, stop you from doing your job but being labelled a racist in the media will do just that to him. 

I couldn't tell you if he's racist because I don't know the inner workings of his mind. It's a racist joke though, inadvertent or not.

8 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

I couldn't tell you if he's racist because I don't know the inner workings of his mind. It's a racist joke though, inadvertent or not.

Even he accepted that once it was pointed out. It's only the predictable outrage from the snowflakes really. He's lost his job, will probably not get a gig on the radio or TV again so they've won. I doubt it will hurt him that much financially and yes with his years of experience in the media he should know better. People are going to really have to think hard before saying anything or placing anything in public, sort of like in Orwell's book 1984. 

And for the record, the less I see Danny Baker on TV the better. Just a shame it was because of something so stupid he did. 

44 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

He's a knob, no idea if he meant it but if his defence was "didn't realise the connotations of a mixed race child being lampooned by a monkey picture" then he's also an idiot.

I think this is quite harsh.

I'm not British and I have no idea who Danny Baker is but I had a very similar thing happen to me in university.

I was a sheltered child from another country who had no idea about the lengthy history of racists comparing black people to monkeys (and let's be honest, it has no logical basis so it's not as if it should be something you'd just intuitively know). We were discussing racism in a sociology class and there was a series of quotes, including one comparing a famous black man and a gorilla. In a scene that makes me cringe to this day, I raised my hand and asked how that one was racist.

The whole class laughed at me, but I maintain to this day that you either have to 1)know the history of the racist "Africans are apes" trope, or 2)be pretty racist yourself, to see this.

So yeah, I could easily believe that a non-racist person, with a non-racist background, just didn't think about what he was posting and put together the fact that the child is of mixed race before selecting that particular photo. Obviously, if he has a history of questionable comments in this area, the benefit of the doubt is removed, but it seems to me that might not be the case here. When I first saw the photo on twitter, it took me a good 15 seconds of thinking "er, why is this such a big deal" before it dawned on me what was going on - I don't see why he might not be the same.

2 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think this is quite harsh.

I'm not British and I have no idea who Danny Baker is but I had a very similar thing happen to me in university.

I was a sheltered child from another country who had no idea about the lengthy history of racists comparing black people to monkeys (and let's be honest, it has no logical basis so it's not as if it should be something you'd just intuitively know). We were discussing racism in a sociology class and there was a series of quotes, including one comparing a famous black man and a gorilla. In a scene that makes me cringe to this day, I raised my hand and asked how that one was racist.

The whole class laughed at me, but I maintain to this day that you either have to 1)know the history of the racist "Africans are apes" trope, or 2)be pretty racist yourself, to see this.

So yeah, I could easily believe that a non-racist person, with a non-racist background, just didn't think about what he was posting and put together the fact that the child is of mixed race before selecting that particular photo. Obviously, if he has a history of questionable comments in this area, the benefit of the doubt is removed, but it seems to me that might not be the case here. When I first saw the photo on twitter, it took me a good 15 seconds of thinking "er, why is this such a big deal" before it dawned on me what was going on - I don't see why he might not be the same.

Difference is he does know about the long history of Africans being compared to monkeys, there's absolutely no way he doesn't. It's long been a slur in football in this country and at the football club he follows. That's not even including how embedded in society it has been, especially for a man of his age.

6 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Yes, it's all the fault of the snowflakes.   Not the actual cunt who makes the tweet.

Ah playing the victim card, a known snowflake tactic. He made a mistake, I know you've made a few and people accept it. I know I've made a few and people get over it. 

It's not about me or you though, it's about a man that did something stupid that has now paid the price. He's been sacked, the snowflakes will now go and look for their next victim, the cowards. 

Meanwhile real racism and prejudice is ignored by them, because being virtuous on social media is more important. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I don't believe him when he says that he didn't realise the connotations, and I don't believe him when he says it was a joke about "Royals vs circus animals" because that makes no sense at all.  

Call me a precious snowflake but I think cunts like this deserve everything they get.

It’s not as if he liked a racist mural is it? 

• Upvote 1

Wow, I didn't even know Meghan was mixed race until I saw this story! (Royals not exactly a subject I have much knowledge of.) If I was Baker though who surely does know, I'd have to be off my fucking rocker to post what he did.

No idea what the intent was, but it's seriously stupid of him not to think of what could be about to happen as he posted that.

10 minutes ago, Onkalo said:

Ah playing the victim card, a known snowflake tactic. He made a mistake, I know you've made a few and people accept it. I know I've made a few and people get over it. 

It's not about me or you though, it's about a man that did something stupid that has now paid the price. He's been sacked, the snowflakes will now go and look for their next victim, the cowards. 

Meanwhile real racism and prejudice is ignored by them, because being virtuous on social media is more important. 

So Danny Baker is the victim here.  Gotcha.

1 minute ago, Onkalo said:

Older people should either stay off social media or have someone that posts for them that can spot any possible fuck ups. Bit late for DB but a warning for anyone that has a large following that uses it often.  

Ageist!

You just want Jezza and Sanders removed from twitter you big old fascist.

Just now, TK421 said:

So Danny Baker is the victim here.  Gotcha.

Well you aren't and neither am I. Baker lost his job, has been branded a racist (by you) for what he claims is an honest error of judgement. So I'd say yes he's a victim. Obviously he wouldn't be in that position without a stupid mistake but if you made another mistake on here should you be banned? I'd say yes but then I'd be a snowflake wouldn't I?

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Wow, I didn't even know Meghan was mixed race until I saw this story! (Royals not exactly a subject I have much knowledge of.)

I find it hard to believe you've made it this far without ever seeing a photo of her.

Well you aren't and neither am I. Baker lost his job, has been branded a racist (by you) for what he claims is an honest error of judgement. So I'd say yes he's a victim. Obviously he wouldn't be in that position without a stupid mistake but if you made another mistake on here should you be banned? I'd say yes but then I'd be a snowflake wouldn't I?

But I haven't made a racist tweet to half a million followers.  I don't understand why you're using me as an example.

Negged for declaring everyone a snowflake whilst being the most offended person in the thread.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

But I haven't made a racist tweet to half a million followers.  I don't understand why you're using me as an example.

Victim again. 

Because you're quoting me and I'm trying to appeal to that much underused rational side of your brain and see that a simple mistake doesn't automatically make someone a racist. He hasn't suddenly woken up and become a racist, he's not hidden in the shadows all his life and thought 'now, now is the time' he hasn't managed thousands of live broadcast on all manner of subjects and kept it hidden. Otherwise he'd be far too clever to post something so stupid.