You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Playstation 4

Sut

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sony has today revealed a number of new tidbits surrounding PlayStation 4 - primarily that its party chat functions will be free to use, meaning you won't need a PlayStation Plus subscription.

Unlike Xbox 360 or Xbox One, PS4 owners won't need to pay to chat online, or to use online-based apps such as streaming service Netflix.

PS4 does need you to be a Plus subscriber to play online games, but Sony has today clarified that this charge does not apply to free-to-play games - another thing Xbox charges for.

The new details have sprung from a fresh PlayStation Access video, embedded below.

The update also confirmed that PS4 friend lists will let you have up to 2000 friends - double the Xbox One's limit of 1000.

Sony has today revealed a number of new tidbits surrounding PlayStation 4 - primarily that its party chat functions will be free to use, meaning you won't need a PlayStation Plus subscription.

Unlike Xbox 360 or Xbox One, PS4 owners won't need to pay to chat online, or to use online-based apps such as streaming service Netflix.

PS4 does need you to be a Plus subscriber to play online games, but Sony has today clarified that this charge does not apply to free-to-play games - another thing Xbox charges for.

The new details have sprung from a fresh PlayStation Access video, embedded below.

The update also confirmed that PS4 friend lists will let you have up to 2000 friends - double the Xbox One's limit of 1000.

All completely flowery touches. The lack of Netflix without Gold membership on Xbox is cheeky though, so another minor one up for Sony.

I've never been too bothered about the lack of party chat. If I'm playing online with folk, we tend to be playing the same game. In fact, I don't want someone screaming in me ear about a game that I'm not playing...

As for the friends list, who on Earth will get close to 1000 friends, let alone 2000?

There's also been the recent details about the dedicated memory allocation being released for the PS4.

Suggestions are that the PS4's memory is split into 3 parts.

2.5 Gb dedicated to the OS.

4.5 Gb dedicated to the game.

1Gb flexible memory that is managed by the game.

So, potentially 2.5Gb to OS and 5.5Gb to gaming, or 3.5Gb to the OS and 4.5Gb to gaming. Even at the lowest end of gaming memory, that's 9 times as much memory as the PS3 had available for gaming.

The XBOne memory is split in 2.

3Gb for the OS

5Gb for gaming.

If you're going to pre-order one I'd be doing it soon. A few rumours that PS4 is approaching the limit of units available.

Sony can no longer guarantee that if you pre-order a PlayStation 4 in the UK you'll get it at launch.

A directive was sent to a number of UK retailers including Amazon and ShopTo.

ShopTo displayed the message first: "Sony have confirmed all PlayStation 4 pre-orders placed from 6th August will now not be guaranteed for launch. You can still pre-order PS4 with us in case we receive cancellations and can fulfil your order for launch."

ShopTo confirmed to Eurogamer that this order came from Sony and applied to any European retailer.

Amazon soon followed with a similar message.

"Please note - due to high demand, orders placed for the PlayStation 4 console from 6th August may be received after release date. We will ship orders as soon as we receive sufficient inventory."

Sony has yet to set a UK release date for PlayStation 4 beyond confirming that it will be on shop shelves before Christmas.

We've asked Sony for comment and will update when we hear back.

UPDATE: Sony has said that you won't need a PlayStation Plus subscription to use the PlayStation 4's game-recording function.

Sony's Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida confirmed the news to PlayStation fans via Twitter last night (as spotted by Game Informer).

The decision contrasts with Microsoft's choice for Xbox One. As revealed yesterday, you will need to be a paid-up Xbox Live Gold subscriber to access the system's Game DVR feature.

ORIGINAL STORY: One of the Xbox One's most highly touted features is the ability to record gameplay videos and upload them to your friends on Xbox Live. Unfortunately, it's been revealed that this feature is being limited to Xbox Live Gold members.

This info comes straight from the horse's mouth on the official Xbox website where it lists the differences between Gold features on the Xbox 360 and its upcoming successor.

Previously, it had been revealed that this DVR feature would allow for up to five minutes of video playback at 720p and 30 frames per second.

Elsewhere, Microsoft noted that its OneGuide feature, which outlines what's on TV and trending in the Xbox Live community, will also be limited to Gold members. This isn't as highly demanded a feature, but still seems like an odd thing to limit.

I think the Ps4 looks better early doors. But the Xbox will win the war if not the early battle. this is down to a few things

1) Better online experience, sony users will admit this from last gen (even though it cost 40 quid it was smuch better)

2) Everyones got Kinect to developers will use it more for xbox

3) Better exclusive titles

4) the fact that it has digital tv input means it could replace skybox/freeview in the future

5) better cloud infrastructure than sony

sony has the edge on indi. games thats it.

A few fitness titles and a half arsed kiddy friendly game or two, that's about the extent of what i expect from Kinect 2.0. Its main feature will be as a voice remote so you'll feel happier doing everything like watching TV through the One interface.

Or maybe i'm just bitter that i bought the original Kinect at full price.

No - RPG's which read your emotions and heart rate' date=' game characters react accordingly.[/quote']

So when your bored by yet another generic RPG game your character will, mid battle, yawn scratch it's arse put you on pause and fuck off to get a drink?

Not paying 350 quid for one of these, going for an Ouya instead, mainly because you can learn to develop your own games to play on it.

Can't believe they decided to make the next Final Fantasy game action/RPG either! It looks like it plays like Devil May Cry or something, (I did like one or two DMC games, but still...) and I had high hopes for it for ages. (they've had it planned for 9 years.) Maybe it'll work but not so sure at all any more.

Watchdogs should be good though, and surely they have several other RPG and/or sandbox games lines up so will keep an eye on it.

I think the Ps4 looks better early doors. But the Xbox will win the war if not the early battle. this is down to a few things

1) Better online experience, sony users will admit this from last gen (even though it cost 40 quid it was smuch better)

2) Everyones got Kinect to developers will use it more for xbox

3) Better exclusive titles

4) the fact that it has digital tv input means it could replace skybox/freeview in the future

5) better cloud infrastructure than sony

sony has the edge on indi. games thats it.

Good to see your picks on gaming consoles are equally bad as your inside info on LFC. Consistency is key with you. Keep up the good work.