You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Playstation 4

Sut

I'm amazed that these new consoles are going to have any sort of disc reader. Producing and distributing discs simply erodes profit margins and when the development costs of the hardware are so high, it seems a strange one. They could go for an "App Store" approach and take a guaranteed slice of every new release for every console on the planet (bar those chipped/hacked by a small percentage of uber-nerds). They could also offset the pain to the consumer of the lack of second hand hames by massively subsidising the consoles themselves in order to get the cash cow of the software into top gear as quickly as possible.

One thing that puzzles me about the seemingly inevitable rush to downloading games rather than the physical disc, is where are you going to store these games?

I don't know if I'm typical, but I never trade in my games. I like to keep them, collect them.

I have upwards of 50 odd PS3 games at the moment. What is the capacity of a Bluray disc, 50GB isn't it? Not to mention games add-ons and DLC. So, I would need upwards of 2-3 TB of HDD storage.

The idea would be that you don't have all your games saved on your HDD, but rather you would just download the title again from the online store as and when you wished to play, something that you can do now.

I'm amazed that these new consoles are going to have any sort of disc reader. Producing and distributing discs simply erodes profit margins and when the development costs of the hardware are so high, it seems a strange one. They could go for an "App Store" approach and take a guaranteed slice of every new release for every console on the planet (bar those chipped/hacked by a small percentage of uber-nerds). They could also offset the pain to the consumer of the lack of second hand hames by massively subsidising the consoles themselves in order to get the cash cow of the software into top gear as quickly as possible.

Id agree with that but there is an argument that consumers aren't ready for that yet. You have to remember that tons of people still watch DVDs off of discs, play CDs off of discs, and have a shitload of PS3 discs. If the PS4 didn't have a disc drive then all of these things would become obsolete. Personally I would go the way off Apple and (as you said) make it totally dependant on other storage mediums and the net whilst providing an external disc reader for those who want one (either included or separately bought).

There is also the safety mechanisms through using discs.

One thing that puzzles me about the seemingly inevitable rush to downloading games rather than the physical disc, is where are you going to store these games?

I don't know if I'm typical, but I never trade in my games. I like to keep them, collect them.

I have upwards of 50 odd PS3 games at the moment. What is the capacity of a Bluray disc, 50GB isn't it? Not to mention games add-ons and DLC. So, I would need upwards of 2-3 TB of HDD storage.

Gaikai

Id agree with that but there is an argument that consumers aren't ready for that yet. You have to remember that tons of people still watch DVDs off of discs' date=' play CDs off of discs, and have a shitload of PS3 discs. If the PS4 didn't have a disc drive then all of these things would become obsolete. Personally I would go the way off Apple and (as you said) make it totally dependant on other storage mediums and the net whilst providing an external disc reader for those who want one (either included or separately bought).

There is also the safety mechanisms through using discs.[/quote']

Presumably people already own a device that allows them to play all those discs. That's not Sony's problem.

Presumably people already own a device that allows them to play all those discs. That's not Sony's problem.

As I said - I wholeheartedly agree. But it is Sony's problem. By virtue of them making it so.

The times when consoles were just consoles has long passed. Both Microsoft and Sony aim for their consoles to be ultimate entertainment hubs.

Well they better hurry the fuck up around mine. Max 1 meg line I've got and regularly rolls in about 60kb per second. Beauty of living on old farm land and BT have yet to give a fuck.

Ouch, and you still take the time to venture onto here!? I can't hack some of the posts on here as it is, couldn't imagine waiting an age to read them.

By 2014 though, I really do think that "slow" broadband won't be much of a problem. That field of technology is evolving rapidly.

If there's no future in discs then the Game and HMV buyouts will prove a massive disaster.

It will be. DVD's and Blurays etc. will go the same way as LP's etc has gone. There will be a small niche market for them, but by and large it will be a dead media. As for download speeds etc. It'll soon all happen via mobile phones or sim cards etc. so what speeds you have now or can get now via physical lines wont be what the future holds, it'll be wireless

Dude, try taking a copy of FIFA to a mates house now to play online. Unless you have the online pass from EA for that copy of the game, registered to the device you're trying to play on, it shouldn't allow you to play online.

This has been the case for a couple of years now with EA products. The concept is not new, and unfortunately it is the way that online gaming was always going to be headed. Even more unfortunate now is that offline gaming also looks as though it's headed that way too...

As far as the hacking thing goes, if people are paying to play online, the expectation will be that the experience suffers as little down time as possible, so I would expect better security from Microsoft, Sony or whomevers servers you are using to play your game online.

I bought Fifa 13 on release day and I play it all the time with mates at uni and back home, me and my cousin have a solid career mode going. I have yet to play online apart from that Fifa tournament set up on here.

In fact, the only online feature I have used on Fifa 13 is the live update squads.

The reason I enjoy games like Skyrim so much is because they focus solely on the features, not how to enhance online play. I hate online gaming, bar Football Manager.

Epic on the industry's giant leap to next-gen | News | Edge Online

The next-generation games being made right now with Unreal Engine 4 are a substantial leap above current console tech, says Epic Games’ Tim Sweeney.

He told us that the next-generation console experience – something we’ll likely see at the future of PlayStation event next week – will be similar to what Epic can do on PC right now.

“We’re more enthusiastic now than ever about the future of high-end platforms,” said Sweeney. “What we’re doing on high-end PCs is going to be representative of the future consumer gaming experience and it’s going to be awesome. It’s going to be a substantial leap over the current generation.”

The studio CFO also told us that he is looking forward to the day that developers can ditch retail distribution to deliver leaner, more flexible and more profitable videogames.

“The market is inefficient now,” he continued. “You run ads on television so that people walk into a retail store, buy a piece of plastic and stick it into their digitally connected device. I think we have a lot of latitude – publishers and developers alike – to increase the efficiency of that. Once you have a game, it’s available pervasively online, and your devices are all Internet-connected, do you really need to run television ads to get people to find it at the top of the App Store?”

“I’m looking forward to our digital future. Development budgets are going to be the dominant cost in the industry, and [increasing] the efficiency of building games will directly improve profitability. As we move more sales of games out of retail, that creates a lot more flexibility for developers to make games at different scales and price them differently.”

“If you look at games that just encompass triple-A production values, there’s a huge range of scales where games have been successful and profitable. You don’t need $100 million to build a triple-A game. But if you want to spend that much, you can build one that looks absolutely insane,” he added.

You can read more about Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 4 and what it means for next-gen development in the current issue of Edge Magazine, available in print or on iPad.

Wasn't there talk about playing games directly from a server such as Cloud so therefore the need to use a physical disc is gone.

The tech is kinda out there already About the OnLive Game Service

I think Sony and Microsoft will try to go this way as there respective stores are pretty much already there. If they do attempt it then it will be interesting so how much resistance gamers will provide.

Think we're still some way away from download only. Sony would be reluctant to do it with the ps4 after the vita debacle. Onlive didn't fair to well either did it, i thought they had to be rescued a year or so back.

Blu-rays may go the way of the lp but it may be because of a different physical storage rather than cloud or online, people still value something they can hold in their hand over digital copy.

Besides the app store and itunes is restrictive and shit, steam is a pile of wank. Until they get that in order they don't have a hope of convincing people it's better.

I've always thought technology wise we might go down the solid state route with the next consoles.

With the cost of SSD coming down for the PC i wonder if the companies will look at read only SD cards as a way of storing and playing the games on.

Sort of like a pumped up version of the NintendoDS cards but with more room on the cartridge.

Packaging would be small etc.

I just don't think that the infrastructure for cloud streaming is there or stable enough yet.

It's all right saying that music and video are already being streamed, but they are one way, gaming is a 2 way interactive experience. Plus more and more users online at the same time is bound to put pressure on a lot of peoples bandwith.

We all know how laggy multiplayer is now and also shitty streams for f*****ll.

Maybe an age thing, but I'm uncomfortable with a licence/download/streaming model with current tech.

What I like about console gaming is that yes it is not cutting edge, but you don't need to be upgrading and the game invariably works when you insert the disc.